Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblejellyfish

Evaporating alchohal
    #4835897 - 10/21/05 07:57 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I have soaked a few of my pipes in rubbing alchohal to get some resin and Ive had the resiny alchohal sitting under a lamp. Is there anyway I can get the evaporation to speed up so that I can smoke some of it in the next hour or two or will it take a while.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: Evaporating alchohal [Re: jellyfish]
    #4835916 - 10/21/05 08:00 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Put a fan right next to it, and incrase the temperature...you could try using a hotplate or something if you have it. DO NOT use the stove though, since alcohol is very flammable.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #4835955 - 10/21/05 08:08 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Do this outside, if at all possible. If not, do it right in front of an open window, preferably with a fan blowing out the window. Alcohol vapor is very flammable.

Put the mix in a bowl or wide dish and aim a fan so it is blowing over the surface. If you have a hair dryer, it should work quite well from about 3 feet away (too close and it will blow the alcohol out of the dish and all over the place!). If you do use a hair dryer set it to COLD if possible, or if you MUST use heat use the LOWEST setting on the dryer. The more heat you involve, the closer you are to starting a fire.

Using just a hair dryer set on cold (no heat at all) it shouldn't take much more than 40-60 mins to evaporate a dish with a few hundred mL of alcohol. Using heat, even a small amount, should cut the time in half - but again if you have the time to spare do it the SAFER way without any heat.

Lots of people have died or burned themselves horribly while trying to evap a solvent - so BE CAREFUL! I don't mean to say that using heat in the process is overtly-dangerous...but if this is something you don't have much experience in or have never done before it's best to start as safely as possible.

That's going to taste pretty horrid, I suspect :smirk:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #4836009 - 10/21/05 08:21 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I've put it on the stove before. It was in a jar, and I put that in a pot, with a bit of water inside the pot (if I remember correctly).

The rubbing alcohol was boiling like mad... I had a kitchen fan on and the door open. I guess I'm ghetto like that... :smirk: turned out alright though.

Although it took a really long time since it was only 70% rubbing alcohol.

Jump to top Pages: 1