Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
Damp-Rid
    #482838 - 12/07/01 08:34 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hey. It's been months since I've posted here as it's been months since I've grown any shrooms, but now I've *found* some during a visit to Florida, and I'm having a very hard time drying them out, on account of the humidity. I tried just air-drying them like I do back home, but that didn't work, and now I've tried a dessicant (Damp-Rid) and the shrooms are not only not drying out, they're growing maggots. Does this stuff actually work?? I have the shrooms in an airtight tupperware on some cloth with a Damp-Rid bucket taking up most of the space. The Damp-Rid is a little glossy on top, meaning it has sucked up *some* water, but the maggots crawling all over the container tell me that the humidity in the chamber is *greater*, not less than the outside air. Is dessicant basically only good for "finishing off" shrooms which have already been air-dried, or what? Thx, -WW-

--------------------
I am a figment of my own imagination
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletriptor

Loc: Confussion
Re: Damp-Rid [Re: wind_wraith]
    #482846 - 12/07/01 08:43 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Bake epsom salts in the oven at 300 and use that it works better. Good luck and eat those maggot bastards.

--------------------
Zippity freakin doo dah

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
    #482852 - 12/07/01 08:47 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

my first batch of shrooms i grew i tried to dry with damp-rid in an airtight container. i ended up dosing before the were all the way dry but it had already been over a week and they still had moisture. didn't get off very good either. next batch i air dried with a fan and they were dry in a day. took the same dose (3 grams) and tripped my ass off!!!!! my potency was definitely affected by the drying time and i chunked the damp-rid. but this is only my personal experience with it.

BTW...i wouldn't ingest anything that was maggot infested or had maggots around it. you sure you want to take those mushies??!!

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

OfflineXAZIA
glitter goddess
Loc: oklahoma
Re: Damp-Rid [Re: triptor]
    #482856 - 12/07/01 08:50 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

forgive my ignorance but are maggots normal?? i've never heard of this!

--------------------
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Bob Marley

Remember, EGOISM is the beginning, the source, and the root of EVIL!

http://www.fanaticus.com/pf-tek.htm
http://www.mycotopia.net/teks/hongus.html

OfflineAmoeba665
strange
Loc: a hidden microutopia at t...
Re: Damp-Rid [Re: XAZIA]
    #483096 - 12/07/01 01:23 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

i used damp-rid this time around and i got *nothing* off my shrooms!! i wonder... could this be why?? but i've used the exact same method before, a year ago, and my shrooms were damn potent. shit. think i'll try another method just to be sure.

--------------------
---

OfflineRoger_irrelevant
War's boring,change thechannel!

Re: Damp-Rid *DELETED* [Re: Amoeba665]
    #483167 - 12/07/01 02:17 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Roger_irrelevant

Reason for deletion: archive

--------------------
We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams...

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: Damp-Rid [Re: Roger_irrelevant]
    #483176 - 12/07/01 02:30 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Are they maggots or worms? It's very common in Kentucky to find the inside of wild 'shrooms eaten up with little white worms. I dont believe them to be maggots at all.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineAmoeba665
strange
Loc: a hidden microutopia at t...
Re: Damp-Rid [Re: Jammer]
    #483198 - 12/07/01 03:05 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

i wonder if they trip off them...

--------------------
---

OfflineGiga_Funk
    #483221 - 12/07/01 03:18 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I dont understand what is so tough about it..why do people always have trouble with this....
Ok guys its REAL important that the damprid can drain...so take it out of the bucket first of all....get some kinda mesh....and put this on the bottom of your drying container...ok now either bend the mesh or sit it on something so its about one inch off the bottom....got it? ok NOW place a washrag or something over the mesh....now pour the damp rid evenly over the rag...now put some more mesh bout and inch over the dessicant layer(btw you could use epson salts like someone said as well) now place shroomies on this second mesh layer

the dessicant sucks up the moisture now and then it drain through the rag and the moisture collects in the bottom.....
I did this a few times and EVERY time they were cracker dry overnight(and i live in a high humidity area)

--------------------
I believe in magick

OfflineGiga_Funk
    #483222 - 12/07/01 03:18 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I dont understand what is so tough about it..why do people always have trouble with this....
Ok guys its REAL important that the damprid can drain...so take it out of the bucket first of all....get some kinda mesh....and put this on the bottom of your drying container...ok now either bend the mesh or sit it on something so its about one inch off the bottom....got it? ok NOW place a washrag or something over the mesh....now pour the damp rid evenly over the rag...now put some more mesh bout and inch over the dessicant layer(btw you could use epson salts like someone said as well) now place shroomies on this second mesh layer

the dessicant sucks up the moisture now and then it drain through the rag and the moisture collects in the bottom.....
I did this a few times and EVERY time they were cracker dry overnight(and i live in a high humidity area)

--------------------
I believe in magick

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Damp-Rid [Re: Giga_Funk]
    #483255 - 12/07/01 04:01 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Giga- would that be in a totally sealed conntainer or not?

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflineMuShi_KiNg
---------|)
Re: Damp-Rid [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #483595 - 12/07/01 09:16 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

->Bake epsom salts in the oven at 300

Do you have top bake them and why ?

OfflineMuShi_KiNg
---------|)
Re: Damp-Rid [Re: MuShi_KiNg]
    #483785 - 12/08/01 03:34 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

anybody know if you have to bake them or not :)

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
Re: Damp-Rid [Re: MuShi_KiNg]
    #483854 - 12/08/01 07:58 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I spoke too soon -- the Damp-Rid is now doing its thing, and my shrooms are almost cracker-dry, just a day after I found maggots crawling on them.  Nonetheless, I'm throwing them away because the rotting created an awful smell and may have made them unhealthy to eat, I guess all that moisture was just too much for the dessicant to handle at first.  I still don't know what I'm going to do with my new batch before I try the drying chamber again, I don't have a fan or anything, and even AC air seems to be too humid for the shrooms to dry out in :tongue:

--------------------
I am a figment of my own imagination
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing

OfflinejokerGD
interestedindividual
Loc: Earth
    #485639 - 12/10/01 12:57 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

As someone else said
you have to make a multi chambered system

You have to have the Damp-Rid itself needs to be suspended in the air and not on the lower level. And on another layer about the damp rid you have a mesh layer with shrooms... I have a really nice stup like this, using 4 planks nailed together with plastic mesh... the bottom one has nails in it to stand as a base, and I can just stack them like trays on top of one another... I can take a pic .... I first used to air dry, but I realized that just overnight, the damp-rid sucks the moisture out of anything... my drying chamber is a BIG sterlite container, not completely airtight even with a fair amount of damp rid

Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags