Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNewbieShroomer

Loc: San Diego California Baby...
Need Some help + my Dream glovebox
    #482109 - 12/06/01 03:04 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Need Some help + my Dream glovebox

Hello All!!!

Ok, A couple of weeks ago I went and noticed a couple of my half pints had green mold in them, so as with all of my contam cakes ( very few really, most from my first batch I ever did ) I try to save them. Cased two together in some verm in a clear tupperware container threw them into one of my terrariums, and forgot about it. It was my first casing, didn't think the cakes could be saved and didn't read anything about casing.... So, after I saw mushrooms crazily growing all thru the bowl, ( it's clear ) I reread up on it again. Well, I then realized I shouldn't have used a clear bowl... And now these mushies are growing " in vitro" Are they liable to rot? Never expected anything in the first place. and it looks like quite a flush...

So, how do I get them out of the inside of the casing????? they are growing ALL thru the bottom and sides of the bowl, big healthy looking fatties.

Another casing goof. I had six half pints, used the pf tek double ended casing tek from memory,
they now look like snowcones. with a ball of verm on top, MUCH thicker than the pf calls for...
Of course, I only reread about casing AFTER i had done them, and the myceliam is already crawling over them.... Newbie Mistake... * sigh *
Won't let that happen again, am I ok? Or should I remove some verm? Please advise!

A stranger I encountered at the free clinic usually uses the oven for innoculation and the glovebox for making syringes. I find that I trust the glove box FAR more for contamination prevention. He is only thru his first flush as of yesterday!! ( YAY! ) He will make sporeprints from the second flush, and will use the glovebox for that as well.

My dream Bx :0)

He actually DID build his dream glove box,
Basically, I bought a large, thick clear tub from wallmart. Got me a nice piece of plexi I mounted on top with liquid silicone. This is WAY nicer than trying to work thru a cloudly side of the tub as some people do. for about 5 bucks, you can get a piece of plexi clear as glass. When he work with the glovebox,
he can't even tell that the plexi is in place the view in is so clear.

he then bought a nice blower ( not a fan, but a blower )from ebay for ten bucks, and procured four 8 x 11 whirlpool hepa filters ( normally 82 bucks a piece ) from ebay for thirty bucks including shipping, shipping was ten. And with a little more plexi and silicone created an addition space on the side of the box to mount the hepa and the blower, ( only an inch off the side of the box, blower is in glovebox, hepa is mounted in plexi strips on outside. blowing in of course. I then cut holes in the box using a scalpel heated with a propane torch. No gloves or bags, He tried them both, hated them, and just work thru the open holes. Even mass innoculating 5 or 6 syringes, no probs yet.

Before use he sprays the entire thing liberally with lysol, wipes out with lysol
towlettes ( specially the plexi on top), adds any materials he needs ( presterilized and wrapped in lysol soaked tin foil and seals arm holes with saran wrap. Then it sits for about ten minutes, soaking with lysol he then loosens the top of the box, and turns the blower on, when to box dries completely he snaps the lid back in place, rubs his arms down with 91% rubbing alcohol, gargles with listerine ( since he will be breathing over the box ) puts on some latex gloves ( soaks those down with lysol then dries to ) sprays the surrounding area with lysol, and gets to work.

Some problems he has:

If the box doesn't dry out completely, he finds he is working in lysol puddles. That sucks. You can contaminate your crap with lysol as it will KILL your young spores. He had a few jars he WEAKENED colonization on when a syringe fell into a puddle of lysol. that syringe was marked and every jar used with it colonized, but slowly and weakly. Jars have yet to fully colonize.

He originally built a positive pressure box, ( which is REALLY cool and works great ) but found that it was so tiny it was hard to work in. He made sure that his next box was SIGNIFIGANTLY larger

Forgeting materials, tools. He has pulled hair out when forgetting to add stuff to the box BEFORE working. He can pass it in thru the holes, sure. BUt getting up to get stuff creates drafts of air, pulling hands in and out of box stirs air, and basically he wants to be sure of a contam free enviroment, so he DOUBLE checks what needs to be in the box before he works.

Longwinded, you bet. This is the NewbieShroomer, what can I say?

Oven Tek.

Love it. Simple, fast, easy to set up, very few downsides in my opinion.

hmmmmmm, I just included his glovebox tek and I was going to go into his oven tek, LOL! But I think I am off topic!

IMHO BOTH teks are valuable for thier own reasons. In some cases it is better to use an oven and some a glove box.

Peace all!

One morning my girlfriend asked me if I slept good
and I replied, "No, I made a few mistakes."

I have 2 rare photographs. One is Houdini locking his keys in his car. The
other is Norman Rockwell beating up a small child.

--------------------
If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
http://www.Mycotopia.net

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Need Some help + my Dream glovebox [Re: NewbieShroomer]
    #482177 - 12/06/01 04:03 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

[cough]tweeker[/cough]

OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

#482189 - 12/06/01 04:14 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

That sounds pretty dope. i have no clue what a blower is or a positive pressure box. Can you post some pics of the glove box, postitive pressure box, and explain when it is best to use a glove box or the oven. My friend has none of that stuff except an oven and he wants to make some syringes soon. Thanks a lot.

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

OfflineNewbieShroomer

Re: Need Some help + my Dream glovebox [Re: TeRzMaStA]
    #482201 - 12/06/01 04:27 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry Man,

I don't have a digital camera, and I don't have the wherewithal to take pics and
get them transferred to disk at kodak or somewhere... Do a search for BLOWER on ebay, and you'll see what it is, pushes a lot of air. I WILL take pics soon though :(

Positive pressure box is in all of the archives, some of the moderators at Mycotopia use OBLY positive pressure boxes they work so well. Basically, it's a glovebox with two fans mounted on either side blowing in. Works well, cheap to build, I use two 12v computer fans ( I always go overboard ) and a battery chjarger for a car on the lowest amperage ( 2 amps I think ) to power it. Way fun dude, just as nice as a hepa box I think, but I wanted both... Look for it in the archives, cheap to build, fun to use.

As for the tweeker part.... :0( Coke, yes, Pot, yes, ... ahhhh fuckit, you caught me.
Well what the hell, it is WAY more fun to tweek out when building my equipment than not. And Since I have the money to spend, And all the right tools, my projects turn out nice, even if they are overloaded with bells and whistles!!!! LOL!

Thinking of converting a fridge to a grow chammber, and BUILDING a plexiglass flow hood next.... :) Fridge is first tho, I am TO excited about that :)

* grin *

--------------------

OfflineNewbieShroomer

#482204 - 12/06/01 04:30 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmm, forgot to answer your whole post.
As for which is better to use when, everyone has thier own i deas.

I innoculate jars in the stove, I make syringes in the box.

When I innoculate on the stove, I take and form the foil on top to my nail joles so you can see the depressions, innoculte then TWIST the foil so the holes don't match up with the lid holes. Makes it quick, no crappy tape to deal with, and you can just spray sopme lysol., wash your hands, and get to it.

Have a great day Terz, and, * lol! * you to mr. dog.

--------------------

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
    #482239 - 12/06/01 05:14 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

can i use a wall outlet to power the fans? or do i need to use a battery or somesort? i found the blower on ebay, nice price too, anyway, so i put a micron magic filter disks on the outside of it? and insert the fan into the glovebox on the side?

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

OfflineNewbieShroomer

Re: Need Some help + my Dream glovebox [Re: downforpot]
    #482249 - 12/06/01 05:37 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, I messed up a little,
The BLOWER is for the Hepa glovebox.

The fans are for the positive pressure box.

Now, I have a TON of whatchamacallits ( power suppliers, likie that hook to the outlet and a phone to regulate power. And I COULD NOT find one in my big ole box that would power the fans, 12v is almost nothing. I considered using a battery myself, until my girlfriend suggested the battery charger for the car, it's perfect. You can't just plug computer fans into the wall. If ya wanna do that, ya hafta splurge at a computer store for a 120v... And, yes!! The micron
magic filter disks would work great!! I myself used bacteria blocking particulate filter face masks I got from a medical supply company. The ones from home depot will not work, well, they do not block everything we need to block in this hobby. And, you are right!! I need a few of those filers myself, i'll bet they will work great!

The blower was tricky to mount, you will need to screw with it a bit if you get one, I considered ALL kinds of ways before I settled on using a lot of silicone, figuring I can always rip it out later if i need it for something else.

BOTH of these teks can be found in the archives, check the mycotopia archives for gloveboxes, and check the shroomery archive for boxes. The tek I found for the hepa box, the guy used a 120v fan but suggested the blower, and that was cheap and easy from ebay, so thats what I used.

The positive pressure box tek, I followed to the letter. Besides the fact I found I don't like using bags for gloves, and thats the tek I think the shroomery has here. Bags SUCK as gloves. And attached gloves, well, I didn't wanna bother with all that. Basically7 what you need is a box with no contam air circulating in it, and a top so nothing contam falls in.

Dude, I am so proud of my work with the two boxes, I really wish I had pix.
But check it out, just search the archives for gloveboxes/clean boxes and
make your own frankenstein.

--------------------

OfflineLarkonius5
Stranger
    #19622495 - 02/26/14 05:48 PM (10 years, 23 days ago)

Easiest glove box I ever made was with a large clear tub from Wal mart and plexiglass lid. I mounted an electrical fan you can get from Radio shack for about $20. You then place a high end dust mask on the outside of the fan and tape it to the box. Now any air that is pulled into the box has to go thru the mask. Before I do any transfers or place cooked items in the box I spray the mask with Lysol until its dripping then again after I'm ready to work in there. It's a good idea to find some extra long gloves and cut some holes in the box. You can tape them pretty easy or if you want to get fancy use some 4 inch PVC drain couplers for a clean fit. The reason it's called positive pressure is because air is being forced from the inside out. This means if you have any leaks it will blow out instead of dirty air coming in. This type of box can run you about 50-$60. I used one for years.

OfflineCMOS
Whats next?

Re: Need Some help + my Dream glovebox [Re: Larkonius5]
    #19622509 - 02/26/14 05:50 PM (10 years, 23 days ago)

:oldthread:

No need for all that, you just need still air.  Gloves are a pain to work with.

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------

Offlineshaymisco
Stranger

Re: Need Some help + my Dream glovebox [Re: CMOS]
    #19623092 - 02/26/14 07:44 PM (10 years, 23 days ago)

12 yrs :oldthread:  :laugh2:

Edited by shaymisco (02/26/14 07:46 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale