Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegringobonk
Stranger
PMP - Poor man's pod ,low humidity HELP!!!
    #4798977 - 10/13/05 02:35 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I have several jars that are almost ready to be cased however the PMP I have made only has a constant humidity of 80%. My hygrometer is accurate. Here are the specs for the setup:
-1 Dual hose pump "Million Air MA-600 Dual Outlet Air Pump" for tanks up to 60 gallons.
-geolite: ~3.5 inches deep, 1 inch top layer dry, 2.5inches bottom layer in water
-dual hoses connected to air wands which run the length of the tank.
-Weather stripping sealing the top of the tupperware fully off from the outside.

What can I possibly do to get the humidity higher? Should I increase the layer of stones which are not soaking in water?

I am posting some pics so people can see the tank. Please give me feedback if you can help. The cakes needs to be birthed and casings need to be made this weekend.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMrKrinkle
Stranger

Re: PMP - Poor man's pod ,low humidity HELP!!! [Re: gringobonk]
    #4798988 - 10/13/05 02:38 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

i had the same problem, turn the temp up, and dont keep a pool of water on the bottom, just keep enough for the geolite to be damp/wet, but dont have standing water more than a 1/4 of an inch on the bottom.

--------------------
"the air is gettng slippery..."

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4799009 - 10/13/05 02:45 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I had just about the same setup using the exact container you are using and had no problems. I used perlite instead of geolite, but I don't think geolite would be the problem. Do you have a pretty tight seal with the lid? And how sure are you that the hygrometer is accurate?

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4799012 - 10/13/05 02:46 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

The water does look a little high in the pics too.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinepeavyxs
The one. The only.
 User Gallery

Loc: GA
Re: PMP - Poor man's pod ,low humidity HELP!!! [Re: FooMan]
    #4799062 - 10/13/05 02:59 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

wheres your hole for air to escape?

Offlinegringobonk
Stranger
Re: PMP - Poor man's pod ,low humidity HELP!!! [Re: MrKrinkle]
    #4799160 - 10/13/05 03:17 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

There's no hole in the top yet. I was going to add it after I see the humidity rise significantly. I have reduced the water level to about 1 inch. There are about 3 inches of top layer. Hopefully I'll see a difference in about an hour. Thanks for the feedback you all!

Offlinegringobonk
Stranger
    #4801801 - 10/14/05 12:15 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

UPDATE: My humidity is still too low. It is now consistently 78%. My room temperature is ~72 and was about the same earlier prior to removing some of the water.

Do I need to remove more water? Is my pump not strong enough? I need the temps to stay around 72-75 for my cakes and casings I plan on fruiting soon. Any more help is appreciated.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4802447 - 10/14/05 04:41 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'll ask one more time. Is your lid on pretty tight and are you sure your hygrometer is accurate? I don't think it's the pump not being strong enough. The geolite by itself should be providing the humidity. The air pump is just to keep the air moving. I had your same setup with lava rocks and later perlite and had no problems with humidity, even though my cheap hygrometer always read in the high 80's range like yours.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinegringobonk
Stranger
Re: PMP - Poor man's pod ,low humidity HELP!!! [Re: FooMan]
    #4804204 - 10/14/05 04:57 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

The lid is on secure. I used weather stripping to seal the lid on tight. I am about to test the hygrometer in a bag with salt. I expect it to be on the mark.

Offlinegringobonk
Stranger
    #4804240 - 10/14/05 05:12 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'll know in about 5-6 hours if the hygrometer was reporting inaccurately. I'm starting to think that maybe my ambient room humidity is effecting the container humidity. In the PMP faq or somewhere I recall having read that moving the air pump into the container will increase the humidity more since it is recycling the air in the container. If the ambient room humidity is too low then I think it may do the opposite-drop the humidity in the container. My ambient room humidity is ~60% with my hygrometer.

InvisibleJackTackle
pinningmycologist

Loc: behind you
    #4804261 - 10/14/05 05:22 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

too much water
only half your geolite should be wet
the other half wicks it up for evaporation
you want just enough water to cover the bubblers

--------------------
Stay Blue!

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4804272 - 10/14/05 05:27 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know if putting an electrical device in a really humid environment is the best thing to do, but who knows? Maybe aquarium pumps can handle it. The air coming from the pump goes through water first anyway, so I don't think that putting the pump inside the chamber would help much humidity-wise.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery
    #4804289 - 10/14/05 05:33 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

what is the temperature and r/h surrounding your pmp? just curious... i've experienced this problem. psychometric relationship's can make it difficult reach desired r/h in your chamber... another thing i noticed during my experiments involved my air source. pumps helped liberate moisture from the vermiculite as well as provided air exchange for CO. too high an air exchange rate could begin to have a "drying" effect on the atmosphere within your pmp especially if the pumps air source (outside the pmp) is dry. by controlling this air flow i was able to maintain perfect conditions. i hope this information is helpful for you...

peace

cateyes

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: PMP - Poor man's pod ,low humidity HELP!!! [Re: cateyes]
    #4804303 - 10/14/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

based on what cateyes just said, maybe you should disconnect one of the air hoses. Also, it takes awhile for humidity to build up. Perhaps you constantly opening and checking it is letting whatever humidity is building up in there escape. Just an idea.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleJackTackle
pinningmycologist

Loc: behind you
    #4804308 - 10/14/05 05:38 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

you won't get any fresh air in there if you recycle it with the pump
i would take a look at your hygrometer and make sure it is calibrated correctly
is there any condensation buiding up on the walls of the pod? if they are wet then you have plenty of humidity

--------------------
Stay Blue!

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery
    #4804311 - 10/14/05 05:38 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

gringobonk said:
I recall having read that moving the air pump into the container will increase the humidity more since it is recycling the air in the container. If the ambient room humidity is too low then I think it may do the opposite-drop the humidity in the container. My ambient room humidity is ~60% with my hygrometer.

you're a thinker... this is good!

Invisiblecateyes
 User Gallery
    #4808425 - 10/15/05 06:00 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

did your hygrometer test accurate?

Offlinegringobonk
Stranger
    #4817168 - 10/17/05 05:28 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Well the hygrometer tested ~5% lower than where it should have been. This was surprising because I had a digital(clock/temp/humidity) one which died about 3 months ago. Prior to it burning out they both gave almost identical readings. So I'm going to purchase another hygrometer. The analog one was $6 and I'm guessing I got what I paid for- a less than reliable hygrometer.

For the time being my PMP has some moisture collection on the walls the way I expect it to look. The additional moisture is probably due to the 3 casings I added yesterday.

Thank you all for the help and I hope people learn from my mistake of assuming that the hygrometer was still correct. Hopefully I'll have some nice equidorian pics to post in the near future.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #4818588 - 10/17/05 10:29 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

The meter was off from what I'm reading here and you want the water and the geolite to look like this

First PMP post

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinegringobonk
Stranger
Re: PMP - Poor man's pod ,low humidity HELP!!! [Re: Magash]
    #4898879 - 11/05/05 10:45 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

UPDATE:

I was able to get the humidity issue resolved as stated earlier, thanks to the community's advice. I decided to experiment and see if I could attain the necessary level of humidity with my pump. It has dual outputs so I just put one long bubble wand in each of the PMP's. Within a day the second container was looking good and the humidity was ~87% for both containers with the cheap, calibrated hygrotmeter. More bang for your buck!

So I just got back from a week long trip. I had a one inch stubby pin coming up on one casing when I left. That was all. Now that I am back I nearly sh!t myself looking at the container with that one pin. The following pics are of caps in the two separate PMP's, using ryche hawk's 50/50+ with BRF(ground calcium pill substituted for oyster shell). Thank you all for the feed back and thank you ryche hawk for the killer casing mix.

There's nothing sweeter than coming home from a trip and seeing progress on any type of grow =).

Edited by gringobonk (11/05/05 10:49 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix