Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGrapeSoda
Green Raindrop

Loc: France
Decapitating early bloomers?
    #4797424 - 10/13/05 09:09 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Often times I find I have early bloomers in my casings, and they seem to muck things up nicely with their spores before the others are done. =\ Typically, they're very interwoven with the still developing fruits, and attempting to remove them would not fare well.. my question, and idea.. is to slice the caps off of the early bloomers, so as to prevent them from making a big mess of everything.. do you think this would work..? Or would it be just as detrimental, halting the other mushroom's growth.

Your thoughts and experience on this would be much appreciated. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: GrapeSoda]
    #4797547 - 10/13/05 09:40 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I cut caps off early bloomers - to make prints from. Nada problem.

--------------------

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: agar]
    #4797570 - 10/13/05 09:44 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Do you leave the stems attached to the casing until you harvest the rest?

--------------------
The red grass, up to my knees
An aura comes towards me

Someone's changed the formula
Un-chaining another law

The structures, the colors
Uniform chaos is alternating

The nature of things

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: Androctonus]
    #4797640 - 10/13/05 09:59 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

YES. If you uproot them - then you open / expose the substrate to possible contaminants.

--------------------

InvisibleAndroctonus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: L.I.S.
Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: agar]
    #4797675 - 10/13/05 10:08 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks Agar.

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: Androctonus]
    #4797692 - 10/13/05 10:13 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

yeah cutting the tops off works fine. your left with a blue stump haha...very nice by the way... what substrate? what strain? got any extra prints? haha... nice :thumbup:

OfflineGrapeSoda
Green Raindrop

Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: CptnGarden]
    #4798346 - 10/13/05 12:16 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Nothing exciting here.. plain multispore from sporeworks on BRF pf style... Its either PESA or GT.. don't know really. :P

Heres what I did.

1. Follow the PF tek.
  • Mix your Verm and BRF in a ratio of 3:1
  • Make your own BRF, keep it a little on the chunky side.
  • Soak the vermiculite with as much water as it will hold, till its at the edge of pooling in the container you're mixing in. Then roll the wet vermiculite in the brown rice flower.
  • Use a jar funnel to load jars.
  • Be super careful about cleaning the jar edges, and keeping the verm barrier free of nutrient contamination.. even a grain of rice powdered in it will fuck em all up.
  • Use thick tinfoil insted of lids, just put a 4" sqaure peice over the jar and screw a band over it. Inject through tinfoil after, dont tape over holes
  • When innoculating.. more solution is better. 1cc per jar works, but 4cc per jar works better.

2. Incubating
  • Tub in tub is the best method, hands down.
  • Incubate in a container just big enough to house all the jars.. they will maintain their own humidity this way.
  • Incubate at freaking 86 degrees. Theres no excuse for anything else.
  • Once there is a complete band of colonization around the jar, flip it upsidedown.
  • Once the jars are colonized entirely, let them colonize for another few days, or until they start pinning.. let the mycelium digest some more nutrients.

3. Prepare the casing material.
  • Mix 50% peatmoss with 50% verm, ensure no nutrients contaminate it. Use the best peat you can find (i.e. Shultz Premium), remove any stray sticks or stones.
  • Mix in water bit by bit through the peat and verm until its all soaked. (no excess, but drips when you squeeze)
  • Make sure your oven's temperature is accurate with a thermometer. Tune it till you find 180f degrees.
  • Pasteurize at 180f for at least 90 minutes in the oven. Aluminum foil covered aluminum baking pans work well.
  • Allow to cool to room temperature, you can put in the freezer to speed it up.

4. Making a casing.
  • With a cheese grater, grate a dozen cakes into a bowl. This will give you 3 litres of substrate.
  • Don't throw out the verm barrier, mix it in.
  • Add 1 liter of wetted vermiculite into the grated substrate, mix thouroughly.
  • Put a clean nutrient contamination free layer of wet vermiculite on the bottom of your casing container.
  • Layer the grated substrate carefully over this, spread it as even as possible by smoothing with your clean hands back and forth over it until it is flat as a pool table. (this is where grating it really comes in handy.. its hard to smooth it out perfectly with chunks)
  • Spread a layer of the now cooled pasteurized casing layer on top. Follow same principal of smooth and even as possible... but not packed down. You want it light and fluffy, with a rough appearance.

5. Fruiting.
  • Incubate at 86f until you see approx 40% mycelium coverage on the surface.
  • Once 40% coverage occurs, put into fruiting chamber, with 85-90% RH and 70-75f degrees.
  • Ensure VERY frequent air exchanges, one full change per hour works well. Watch the humidity.
  • Put on a 12/12 light cycle.
  • Observe the casing carefully, and ensure that it stays wet. If there are no pins, and it dosent look wet, soak it. Spray it until a little water is left standing on the surface. If it doesnt absorb after a few hours, then you can mop it up gently and carefully with paper towels. Ensure the sufrace of the casing layer is rough, so the moisture can absorb.. break up any large areas of overlay that occur with a clean fork by gently dragging it.. use almost no pressure, just barely more pressure then the weight of the fork itself..
  • Once pins are established, and around an inch tall, keep the humidity closer to 85%, rather than 90%.

6. Harvesting. :smile:
  • Use a twisting motion while griping tightly the base of the mushroom to minimize casing layer damage.
  • Repair damaged casing layer by sprinkling dry verm over the surface and smoothing out... once its even, soak it. Really drench the casing. You want a little water to be collecting around the edges of the container, and the surface to be obviously drenched. Do this every 24 hours until the casing won't hold anymore, don't leave excess water standing on the casing for more then a few hours, mop up excess with paper towel.
  • A 2 liter bottle with 20 pin holes in the cap works well for soaking.

Thats pretty much everything I do when it comes to growing mushrooms. Weeeee.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4803319 - 10/14/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

This thread should be moved to the culti forum for newbees to see! Awesome flush there! :thumbup:
:mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: FooMan]
    #4803443 - 10/14/05 01:18 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Damn !!!!!!!

That's a Whopper if I ever saw one !!!

You Sir, Have done one hell-of-a job !!

Awesome Flush!!!

Great job !!!

Doc

--------------------

OfflineWhiteBunny
How deep doesthe rabbit hole go?
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: doc34]
    #4825047 - 10/19/05 01:15 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

make some Prints of those. I'm sure the FSRC would love to know you.

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: WhiteBunny]
    #4825162 - 10/19/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

With a cheese grater, grate a dozen cakes into a bowl.

I highly recommend not doing this. a good method is the plastic bag method :thumbup:

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
Trusted Cultivator
    #4827689 - 10/19/05 11:36 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomieOfDoomie said:
Quote:

I highly recommend not doing this. a good method is the plastic bag method :thumbup:

What is your reasoning?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4863146 - 10/28/05 11:00 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

ShroomieOfDoomie said:
Quote:

Yes, what is your reasoning? A cheese grater works just fine.

Wow did I see that you just used PF Tek cased for those, Very impressive! Gonna go take a look back and see if you spawned, either way its impressive.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflinePrajna
ReliablyUnreliable
 User Gallery

Loc: Proud Canadian
Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4863181 - 10/28/05 11:20 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'm really beginning to love the look of these double tub flushes. I am also starting to see a need to try this out for myself, very nice...Hard to believe these come from spawning PF jars, nice grow man...

--------------------

Edited by Prajna (10/28/05 11:21 AM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: Prajna]
    #4863282 - 10/28/05 11:54 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Prajna said:
I'm really beginning to love the look of these double tub flushes. I am also starting to see a need to try this out for myself, very nice...Hard to believe these come from spawning PF jars, nice grow man...

Was it done using the DT method? I didnt see that mentioned, or any method of air exchange mentioned. If mentioned could someone point it out, if not, could the poster let us know how he did them?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflinePrajna
ReliablyUnreliable
 User Gallery

Loc: Proud Canadian
Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4863421 - 10/28/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Quote:

Prajna said:

Was it done using the DT method? I didnt see that mentioned, or any method of air exchange mentioned. If mentioned could someone point it out, if not, could the poster let us know how he did them?

Yep my mistake, he never does mention. I misread...he was referring to his incubation when he said double tub...like a tit setup.

--------------------

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4863527 - 10/28/05 01:15 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

very nice, congrats.
what are you using for a fruiting chamber?

:toast:

:peace:

OfflineGrapeSoda
Green Raindrop

Re: Decapitating early bloomers? [Re: backupwards]
    #5258174 - 02/03/06 02:34 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Hi, All. Sorry for the long delay in response here... I had actually forgotten my login. :o

ShroomieOfDoomie:
Colonized substrate is not going to contam easily, its hardier than you think. Cheese graters are fast, easy, and make a nice fluffy texture. Holds water great. :wink:

scatmanrav:
Its 12 PF style cakes shreded with a cheese grater and mixed with 1 liter of moist verm, with moist verm sprinkled on bottom, and 50/50 1cm on top. Sub depth is aprox 4cm.

Regarding the fruiting chamber.. its a pretty complex chamber, a little project of mine that I work on here and there. Has a contant air cycle that changes the air fully every 30 minutes, with constant flow coming from a horizontal pipe filled with holes across the back, giving a rough laminar flow from the back towards the front (and over the casings :wink:. All incoming air passes through a dust filter, and then into a resevoir (5 Gallon bucket) which hydrates the air using a floating ultra sonic element, giving me total control over the humidity of the air which enters. Lights are also computer controlled and are fluroescents lining the sides of the chamber.. which really just resembles a bookshelf with a vinyl drop sheet in front of it.

Everything is computer and sensor controlled by the computer, humidity goes over 87%, the ultrasonic shuts off, drops below 83%, ultra sonic turns back on. Lights are also controlled by the computer, on a timer. Airflow could be controlled... but I prefer to have it going constantly.

The thing I like about this chamber the most is that with constant airflow, contams on the casings are not common (havent had any, actually.. knock on wood.).. and with the 5 gallon resevoir, I can leave it for up to 5 days before it runs dry. :smile:

If anyone has any other questions or requests, feel free to ask.

OfflineGrapeSoda
Green Raindrop

#5258189 - 02/03/06 02:50 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

What I'm working on right now, is a client/server app that allows me to check the status of things through my cellphone. The server is flawless.. but my J2ME skills are kind of.. (crap) so the client is still in the works. (I'm making encryption a functional requirement) This is a shot of the interface (well, its not interactive.. so I geuss I should just call it the display) :P

OfflineJoeyShmoey
PowerStroker
    #5258294 - 02/03/06 05:16 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Fuzine said:
What I'm working on right now, is a client/server app that allows me to check the status of things through my cellphone. The server is flawless.. but my J2ME skills are kind of.. (crap) so the client is still in the works. (I'm making encryption a functional requirement) This is a shot of the interface (well, its not interactive.. so I geuss I should just call it the display) :P

--------
Thats awsome!! So basically you can monitor your grow from work or whatever! I like it!! :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom