Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSarph
Stranger
growth taken ages + are these shrooms?
    #478164 - 12/03/01 10:07 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I started growing shrooms 5 months ago using the in vitro tek?.before starting properly I did a test 1 pint jar (seems impossible to buy half pint jars in UK..any suggestions?) of P.Cubensis assuming it would be about 6 weeks til I got a result. 5 months down the line and it has only just started fruiting. Im pretty sure there were no contaminants but it took about 4 months for the mycelium to colonise (I was using a cake of organic brown rice flour and vermiculite)?.firstly, any suggestions as to why it took this long? Secondly, there are now patches of tan coloured rubbery growth which pull easily away from the mycelium. Are these the shrooms (smells like it) or a contaminant? I haven?t tried any yet cos I don?t have enough to dose. Ive seen photos of this tek and I know they grow weird looking but the ones in the photo at least bear a passing resemblance to actual shrooms unlike mine (mine don?t have any stems). Finally, I have picked off some of these blotches (just in case) and bits of vermiculite remain imbedded once dried?.is it dangerous to eat? So many questions but I need to know if this is some kind of bad failure before I do it properly.
Ps. I dunked 2 days ago for 15 hours.
Any advice gratefully received!!

--------------------
'Alice remained looking thoughtfully at the mushroom, trying to make out which were the two sides of it; and as it was perfectly round, she found this a very difficult question'

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVoice_Of_Reason
Stranger
Loc: Shroom Ville
Re: growth taken ages + are these shrooms? [Re: Sarph]
    #478277 - 12/03/01 12:03 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

BOWN BLOTCHES...From the way it souds, it seems like you have contamination. If there is still verm when you pick these blotches, that the cake wasn't completely colonised. If it took 5mo to colonize, then i would have to assume that you had a lack of moisture, and the temperature for incubation just wasn't right.

Did you keep your jars in a dark place?. Overwhelming your jars with too much light while they colonize, will also effect the growth.

Where did you order your spores from? (I suggest informing the vendor, but since you had some growth, the error is not in the spores, but simply in your procedure.) What process did you follow to prepare your substrate? (the stuff in the jars before innoculation). What steps did you take to create an acceptable sterile enviornment?

OfflineSarph
Stranger
Re: growth taken ages + are these shrooms? [Re: Voice_Of_Reason]
    #478361 - 12/03/01 01:48 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Cheers for reply, heres the info:
i kept the shrooms in complete darkness most of the time (in bottom of cupboard), i heard take them out for an hour a day but due to laziness probably did this not too regularly...temp. was kept at around 78 degrees.
the spores came from Tambu.com, seeing as it was a first time i didn't know much bout which were the best companies.
as for the preparation procedures i tried to keep everything pretty sterile, i boiled all utensils and boiled the finished jars for 2 hours....in the control jar there was no sign of contamination except after 5 months it started to smell bad but i figured this was just rot cos there was no sign of mould.

the brown patches, which peel off the mycelium are confusing me cos they only appeared once the mycelium had totally covered the cake, and once peeled off, they have the texture and smell of shrooms...

--------------------
'Alice remained looking thoughtfully at the mushroom, trying to make out which were the two sides of it; and as it was perfectly round, she found this a very difficult question'

OfflineNewbieShroomer

Loc: San Diego California Baby...
    #478486 - 12/03/01 04:29 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Sarph.

Dude. Try again. This is my first time growing, I used pf tek, and went from innoculting jars to eating HUGE mushrooms, in under a month. Started on the second, harvested from my first flush sat night. Seriously, 5 months???... Dude.....

--------------------
If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
http://www.Mycotopia.net

OfflineLordPeter
    #478492 - 12/03/01 04:34 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Sarph ;)

1/2 pint jars in the UK eh? Well - I spent ages going through supermarkets trying to find the right kind of Jar - and in the end, I found it!

Basically, you want to go to a Sainsburys or ASDA, and head towards the Jam. There is a company that sells 100% fresh jam, on these amateur-style designed labels. To my knowledge, this is the only product that is 1/2 pint without a shoulder at the top of the jar.

Try that.

The jam tastes lovely too! :)

Edited by LordPeter (12/03/01 04:35 PM)

OfflineSarph
Stranger
Re: growth taken ages + are these shrooms? [Re: LordPeter]
    #479308 - 12/04/01 10:29 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

thanks for jar related advice,
they don't happen to have a red and white checked lid? these are the ones i found, 100% real jam and with a very homemade label...but not in half pint form. hmm, guess i have to keep lookin.

also, anyone, are these brown things the shrooms? i need to know before i give em to my mates or else i'll be an unpopular girl if they all end up sick...

--------------------

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #479389 - 12/04/01 11:15 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

dont feel too bad; im in over 5 months and just got my first 6 shrooms this weekend. those are probably invitro shrooms; you really cant identify them as stems and caps? if the whole jar colonized and those appeared it probably is but try drying it out and it should shrivel a lot but keep a solid form. its probably just shrooms tho.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

OfflineSarph
Stranger
Re: growth taken ages + are these shrooms? [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #479424 - 12/04/01 11:34 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

thanks, i feel better now. i dried them out and they still stayed in solid form. im figuring they are the shrooms cos they have a very shroomy smell and texture.

--------------------

InvisibleAssHumper10K
enthusiast
Loc: Up, Your, Ass
    #479800 - 12/04/01 05:52 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Did they happen to bruise blue anywhere?
YOu said you just dunked two days ago? there were no pins then? You shoulda waited to pick them then. They get herds bigger than that!

--------------------
Asses Humped for a reasonable price. Ask about our financing program!
Free ass juicings with every fart suck!
See the amazing pencil farm!

Edited by AssHumper10K (12/04/01 05:56 PM)

OfflineSarph
Stranger
Re: growth taken ages + are these shrooms? [Re: AssHumper10K]
    #480517 - 12/05/01 08:53 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

yeah it sounds silly but they have been well travelled (i went away in summer for long time and took em with me) and at first i thought when it went bluish it was contaminated but it didn't spread so i put it down to bruising

i picked these brown things off cos they were getting darker and darker and i thought they might rot but should i just wait it out with the others (there are still more on the cake)?

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #480554 - 12/05/01 09:30 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

>seems impossible to buy half pint jars in UK..any suggestions?

Drinking glasses(whisky glas).
Check their use in http://www.fungifun.org/pf/.

OfflineTeiro
Earth Entitie
Loc: A Sunny Beach in a Tropic...
    #480612 - 12/05/01 10:56 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

(seems impossible to buy half pint jars in UK..any suggestions?)

Yes, whiskey glasses, covered with aluminium foil and rubber bands

--------------------
Life does not have to be necessarily long. It just has to be good. Be wise. Peace, Love, Flower Power.

OfflineSarph
Stranger
Re: growth taken ages + are these shrooms? [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #495880 - 12/19/01 11:34 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, now this will maybe help clear this issue up finally cos I dusted off my *really* shit old digital camera and took a few photos. Now they are not great quality, but maybe someone can help?
This is the cake in the jar,

as you can see, it really shrunk. I think that this happened after dunking wierdly. Maybe sarph herself can remind me...

This is the cake out of the jar, and one of the better photos:

Those darker bits are where the suspected shrooms have been removed. The mycelium hasn't grown back after a week.

This is another photo of cake which shows actual suspected shrooms growing.

It's a bit blurred, but i'm talking bout the light brown bit.

Finally these are a couple of photos of the dried product. Now i know these are awful pictures, and in fact look more like a bad UFO hoax, but as I said, shit camera.

They are a bit broken up cos it was quite tricky to prise them out of the mycelium, and as I said they were not raised from it but flush with the mycelial surface.

And now for the close up (not much better)

Sorry about those ones, it's just really hard to work this camera as the batteries are all fucked up and run out every 5 seconds and you have to hold it far too still. Anyway. Analysis welcome. I know it's hard to tell whether it's just bad photography, but if anyone's had any cakes look like these?
Cheers,
Sarph's bf

--------------------

Offlinemystic1
addict
    #495916 - 12/19/01 12:34 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

that looks sick man. i don't know what to tell you i have never seen anything like that or even heard of that.i would think that being in the jar so long the myc would eat all of the nutes

--------------------
realize,realize,realize
real eyes, realize, real lies
http://www.shroomery.org/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum4&Number=399368&fpart=1

Offlinemystic1
addict
    #495922 - 12/19/01 12:36 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

maybe this might help my friend has a jar that is going on 4 months. it looks nothing like that. fully colonized and there are tiny white balls forming. i mean small. they are forming everywhere. but again it is white not yellow like that thing...........

--------------------
realize,realize,realize
http://www.shroomery.org/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Forum4&Number=399368&fpart=1

Offlinebiggwigg
Loc: PA
Re: growth taken ages + are these shrooms? [Re: mystic1]
    #495927 - 12/19/01 12:43 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

you would have to be pretty brave to eat that

--------------------
I have only been wrong one time in my life.
thats when i thought i was wrong.
If its not a rave its not a party

Offlinemystic1
addict
Re: growth taken ages + are these shrooms? [Re: biggwigg]
    #495930 - 12/19/01 12:47 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

ya know. thats sick man. bury that thing in the back yard and see what happens. lol

--------------------
realize,realize,realize

OfflineSarph
Stranger
Re: growth taken ages + are these shrooms? [Re: mystic1]
    #496723 - 12/20/01 06:05 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Sarph's bf:
That's sooooooooo disheartening! We spent 6 months on that and we have nothing?
It's not yellow btw, just bad camera. The sorta yellow bits are the vermiculite where "shrooms" have been picked.
Well, if everyone seems to think they're not shrooms then I guess we better not eat them :-(
So how can we improve for next time? Does it look like not enough water, not enough BRF?
Any help much appreciated
cheers,
sarph's bf

--------------------

OfflineShdwstr
FSRCanada
Male

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #496746 - 12/20/01 06:58 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

If this was your result from 6 months... I might suggest re-reading some teks and if you don't get some satifactory results in 6 weeks, it's time to try again.

Take care

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom