Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekilgore_trout
Stranger
Dunking a casing, never done it, read posts on it, have some q's
    #4762945 - 10/06/05 08:20 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

ive never dunked a casing. i think it is desirable, if not necessary, for good later flushes. but i also think that it is somewhat risky and has me worried. Ive gone through and seen many threads on it in the past and in a search today.

i think excess water leading to contams will be a large problem, as well as aborting any small pins that may still be on a casing.

im not looking for teks necessarily, unless someone has a really good one that will settle my nerves. I want suggestions/accounts towards a safe and effective practice. maybe drilling holes in the bottom of pans for drainage, so after the main drain anything else goes to the bottom and out the holes? ive heard just a good long drain is good.

ill probably have to experiment with a few of the casings so if i fuck up i dont lose everything, better smaller flushes than contam from too high of moistures.

any suggestions on doing many casings, like 12+ 17qt casings of gourmets? Same sub as a good bulk cube grow, so same ideas.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
Re: Dunking a casing, never done it, read posts on it, have some q's [Re: kilgore_trout]
    #4762987 - 10/06/05 08:36 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I don't dunk cased subs between flushes, mainly just give them a really good misting (fogging) until the surface is nice and moist. i do that every day until i notice more pins coming on and then back the misting off to just a few pulls on the sprayer. that has seemed to work so far.
dunking them like cakes seems like it would just be a big hassle.

best of luck
:peace:

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: Dunking a casing, never done it, read posts on it, have some q's [Re: backupwards]
    #4763240 - 10/06/05 10:06 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

ive dunked some of my casings.. and have had no comtam problems from it.. and its not realy that big of a pain..

all i did was fill my container up with tap water, cover w/ tinfiol and put it in the fridge for about 12 hrs. then i just put my hand on the tin fiol and tip the pan up till no more drops of water come out and hold it there for a cople min. then place it back in teh fruiting chamber.

yes any lil pins still on the casing will be no good from it.. but they say your saposta clear your casing off after every flush anyway.. but sometimes im to lazy or there just to small for me to get so i just leave them on there.

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Dunking a casing, never done it, read posts on it, have some q's [Re: willmafingerdo]
    #4763473 - 10/06/05 11:01 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I dunked mine, but not completely, I carefully poured water in the sides so it would not submerge the top. The whole thing floated so it was not submerged anyway.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Dunking a casing, never done it, read posts on it, have some q's [Re: blackout]
    #4763881 - 10/06/05 12:26 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

My experience is that with running water, pins will not abort. Place the tray in the sink and fill it up with water. Place a quart jar full of water on top of the bulk substrate to keep it submerged. Leave the water running gently so it keeps the container full, with a small amount spilling over the sides and going down the drain. Let the water run for 12 hours or so, then drain and put back in the fruiting chamber. The running water will keep bacteria from getting a start. I've actually seen pins double in size during the dunk.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds