Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
Emergency fire...the best options?
    #4760588 - 10/05/05 08:34 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

There are many ways to start a fire, even some very creative ones as Skorp's "soda can and chocolate bar" thread proves. But what do you rely on in your emergency kit as a failsafe way to get a fire going?

For a long time I always carried waterproof matches in a sealed container (usually a film canister). But then I discovered a really reliable and failsafe firestarter. Actually I didn't really discover it, I just found it in a box with some of my junk from my Boy Scout days and I forgot I had it. It is a magnesium/flint firestarter.

Has anyone else ever used one of these? They are a pretty amazing and simple device. It is just a block of magnesium with a piece of flint embedded in one side. You shave some metal shavings off of the magnesium with a knife and then use the flint to ingite them. Magnesium burns very hot and you can even get a fire going under damp conditions that would foil other fire starting methods. A simple, safe, easy, and very effective device. And not expensive either. You can pick up one up here for $7 and it will last forever. Its virtually indestructible. No moving parts to break and no amount of water or weather will ever affect it. You just wipe it dry and it works like new.

Anyone else have any good ideas for emergency fire kits?

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Emergency fire...the best options? [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #4760928 - 10/05/05 09:29 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I've had one since my boyscout days. It goes with my on all my outdoor adventures.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #4761528 - 10/05/05 11:06 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I usually go overkill.. carry two lighters.. waterproof matches in a waterproof container.. and magnesium firestarter.. it's also pretty handy to know how to start a fire the old fashioned way with sticks and a bow of string.. just in case.

--------------------

OfflineoDin
    #4765962 - 10/06/05 08:20 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

couple of lighters

waterproof matches

i think i remember someone talking about vaseline in cotton or something, anyone hear of this?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Emergency fire...the best options? [Re: oDin]
    #4766024 - 10/06/05 08:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yeah.. I have some cotton I keep in my survival kit thingy.. it makes good firestarter by itself.. I imagine the vaseline keeps it burning longer. I've heard of using fast food cups.. because they are cardboardy material with a wax coating.. some people dip flammable material like cotton or newspaper in wax.. I guess to keep it waterproof and I'm guessing the wax helps it burn or something.

--------------------

Offlinejellynutz
keep it rockin'like a whore onpills
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Emergency fire...the best options? [Re: Shroomism]
    #4804159 - 10/14/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Ever try to make that cheesy napalm when you were a kid with styrofoam and gas?? I keep a 1/2 pint jar of it in my tackle box for night fishing. A 1/2 pint ball of it will burn a big flame for like 20 min. Not to environmentally safe though.

--------------------
Passion destroyed is reborn in the passion for destruction...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies