Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
GPS units
    #4751768 - 10/03/05 09:52 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Damn, the bug is getting to me again. I tried not to think about it all this summer and managed to put it in the back of my mind. But lately I've been wanting one again. Theres a ton of Geocaching I could do around here since I'm getting out and hiking more anyways. And I'd like to start placing some caches in really neat spots also. I have a few in mind.

Anyway, hows everyone been liking their GPS units? I know both GratefulJim and KK have Magellan 'explorist' models. Anyone else have a unit they are impressed with? Anyone know anything/have opinions about other brands (I seem to keep coming back to the Magellans)? Anyone have any reccomendations based on their experience? Any input would be nice.

I am still really holding out for a unit with a color screen. The more I research the more I am really liking the Magellan explorist 500. It seems to have just about everything I want. But its also pricey. $350 is a lot of money to spend on antoher toy!

Quick, someone talk me outta buying another gadget that I don't need!

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: GPS units [Re: ToTheSummit]
    #4751957 - 10/03/05 10:26 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Garmin makes a mean GPS device too. I would check them out.

The Magellan's are also an awesome brand. Either way, you can't really go wrong. Besides, GPS devices are fun! :grin:

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
Re: GPS units [Re: dblaney]
    #4755705 - 10/04/05 06:58 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I've been really happy with my Magellan, but really wish i had the 500!! I don't like the fact i cant download anything(maps/info) into it from my pc, and the map detail kinda sucks...  but other that that it kicks ass!

I've been slackin on the caching to much work and climbing at the gym, i need to get out and find a few before it snows here. Its such an awsome way to get out and be active, and making caches is even better cauze your get to share some secret/special places people had no idea were there!

:smile:

--------------------
Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4789080 - 10/11/05 08:25 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

OK, here it is. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to these 2 models...

Magellan eXplorist 500

Garmin eTrex Legend Color

Does anyone have any other suggestions? There are a few pros and cons to each unit but they are really pretty comparable. The Magellan is a little more expensive but has a couple of nice features, namely the ability to use SD memory cards for unlimited map storage capabilites.

The one thing that worries me about the Magellan is the battery. It is a rechargeable LiIon. Sounds good at first, especially when you think to yourself "Hey, I never have to buy batteries!". The Garmin uses 2 AA batteries but claims to get 36 hours of life out of them (I know that number is probably inflated, but the Magellan only claims to get 17 hours out of a charge). But then I thought to myself that this might be a problem when backpacking. I can always carry extra AA batteries, but I'll have no way to recharge the Magellan on the trail.

Anyway, I pretty much have the money set aside. I'll most likely be making a purchase in the next few weeks. I just want all the input I can get before I commit. So if you have any thoughts out there then help a brother out!

--------------------

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4822644 - 10/18/05 08:46 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Awwww FUCK IT!!

I think I've over-analysed it too much now. I did so much research that I have reached a saturation point. I now have about 8 different models that I am looking at, each has something about it that I like. I can't find just one that isn't lacking in some way when compared to some other unit. I should've just bought one on a spur-of-the-moment purchase like I usually do. Now I'm just all flustered and I don't know what I want!

I guess it will come down to what I can find the best bargain on. I've seen some really killer deals rolling through Ebay!

--------------------

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4860559 - 10/27/05 06:27 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Alright.  I just got sick of thinking about it (and I wasn't getting much help here  :tongue:) so I went for the gusto.  It should be here next week...

Magellan eXplorist 600

If I'm not happy, well, too fucking bad!  But I got a real good deal.  Only cost me $315 after I get my rebate back.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #4861394 - 10/27/05 09:20 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Looks cool...

I got GPS on my cell phone :grin:

--------------------

Offlinekindkesey
take it further
 User Gallery

Loc: on the bus!!!
Re: GPS units [Re: Shroomism]
    #4876095 - 10/31/05 05:05 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

aww... very nice pick!

:smile:

--------------------
Stay Kool, and enjoy the bus ride.....

"Intrepid Search For Innerspace"

DAVID JONES where are you?

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4927692 - 11/12/05 11:54 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

We had some issues with shipping so it took a couple weeks longer then I had hoped for it to arrive.  But it finally showed up today and I'm taking it on its first hike in the morning!
:woot:

--------------------

Offlineannielicious
pisces
Female

#5192813 - 01/17/06 09:15 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

So... what do you think of it? oDin is getting one for his birthday so we are looking now as well.

--------------------
"Everything that limits us, we have to put aside."  Jonathan Livingston Seagull

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: GPS units [Re: annielicious]
    #5193381 - 01/17/06 11:35 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

make sure you can hook it to your computer to save shit... mine sucks cause when you change the batteries you lose your saves... I have the eXplorist300

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
Re: GPS units [Re: Jim]
    #5195658 - 01/18/06 04:58 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Jim, your device must be fucked up... I have the 200 model and I've changed my batteries many times and all my saves are still there.

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: GPS units [Re: annielicious]
    #5196157 - 01/18/06 06:46 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

annielicious said:
So... what do you think of it?  oDin is getting one for his birthday so we are looking now as well.

I really like it.  It does just about everything and performs really well in the field....when its working! :crazy:  Yes, it has already been sent in for a repair job.  Not sure if this is a bad omen or not but other then the fact that I broke it already I love it.

I have now bought another unit as a backup (Magellan eXplorist 100) for under $100.  It also performs very well but is limited in its capabilities compared to the other unit.  But I like having 2 units that work the same.  Both of them have the same buttons, functions, and are exactly the same size and weight.  I can use either unit without having to re-learn one or re-adjust my thinking when I use it.

One thing I like about the Magellans is the software.  The 'Magellan Mapsend Topo 3D' software is absolutely amazing and perfect for the things I do.  I can pull up detailed topo maps of anywhere in the united states, customize them, print them, or even save them directly onto my e600 unit.  And thats just scratching the surface of what it will do.

Heres the backup unit..

--------------------

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
    #5215620 - 01/23/06 09:04 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

i got the explorists 200 and i love the fucking thing. cant wait till better technology comes out. i wanna be able to hook this baby up to my computer.... now THAT would be bad ass...

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: GPS units [Re: AliceDee]
    #5261954 - 02/04/06 08:58 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
    #5265848 - 02/05/06 11:43 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

You should sell that one and get a Garmin. Their mapping models all connect directly to a computer and can give you turn by turn directions and locations.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #5287212 - 02/10/06 08:30 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

AliceDee, the later models of the eXplorist do connect to the computer via USB (from the model 400 on I think) as do many other GPS units from various manufacturers now. I can download topo maps/routes/waypoints/geocaches/etc onto my eXplorist 600 directly from the computer. And it also has an SD memory card slot. I put a 1gig SD card in there and I can store more maps then I'll ever need.

And the Garmin/Magellan debate amongt GPS users is kinda similar to the Mac/Windows debate. People like what they like for different reasons but in the end they all essentially do the same thing.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder