Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Shaggy Parasol??
    #4745012 - 10/02/05 11:15 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Accurate mushroom descriptions

It is critical that you describe mushrooms fully and accurately in order to get a proper identification.

A good picture of the mushrooms is invaluable, but not required.

Along with the pictures YOU ARE REQUIRED to provide the following data:

* Habitat (where [woods, pasture, state,province,country, altitude] and what [soil, dung, wood (dead, living, what kind of wood?)] does it grow on)

Found a large group of around 20 mushrooms growing under hardwood trees in the soil.

* Characteristics of the gills (color, attached/not, gills/pores, etc)
White, broad gills that are free from the cap.

* Characteristics of the stem (length, diameter, color, texture, hollow/solid, thin/thick, etc)

Fiberous, hollow stem. Thick, white with a slight bulb at the base. About 7-8" long and 1/2 inch or more thick. Has a almost "spongy" ring that is movable.

* Characteristics of the cap (diameter,color, texture, conical/spherical, convex/concave, etc)

Shappy appearance to caps that can be about 6" across. Mostly white with light cinnamon.

* Spore print color (very important!)
White spore print.
* Color that the mushroom bruises

Seconds after scratching the stem, it turns a light yellow darkening to brown. After cuting the stem it turns a reddish brown.

* Scent of the mushroom
After drying for 2 days in a dehydrater and bagged up they had a very strong but pleasant smell.

* Anything else you might find important
I'm sure enough about these to eat. After a lot of research, I can't see how these could be anything but Lepiota rachodes. Found late September in West Michigan.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDrunkenAttempt
Chemically Inclined
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nova Scotia, CANADA
Re: Shaggy Parasol?? [Re: Pinhead]
    #4745252 - 10/02/05 12:51 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

some kind of Amanita...i was thinking amanita aspera, but i doubt it. i'll try to give you a better ID soon

--------------------

Nature is my God, Science is my religion.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Shaggy Parasol?? [Re: Pinhead]
    #4745277 - 10/02/05 01:04 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

You look to have the ID right, Pinhead. Good description. Be cautious eating them for the first time - some people are sensitive to them and have gastrointestinal distress. In other words, eat only a tiny amount then wait overnight to eat more.

DrunkenAttempt, I can see the similarity to the various Amanitas in section Lepidella, but the ring is wrong for those.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleShins
Fun guy
Male User Gallery

Re: Shaggy Parasol?? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4746520 - 10/02/05 07:32 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

shaggy parasols are neat, i found a few last year, and made a wicked salad =D

has anyone ever eaten its "poisonous" lookalike Chlorophyllum molybdites? i've heard mixed things about thier edibility. some say they're ok to eat if you cook them, some say they'll make you sick.

anyone?

--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Shaggy Parasol?? [Re: Shins]
    #4746601 - 10/02/05 07:51 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Cooking them does not eliminate their toxins.

My understanding is that some small percentage of the population apparently can eat them without becoming ill. The only way to find out is to eat some. The symptoms are so severe that I wouldn't consider trying - no matter how good they might taste it wouldn't make up for that degree of poisoning. People have spent 18 hours being severely ill after eating a piece the size of a fingernail.

Considering that we're talking about vomiting, nausea, stomach cramps (causing similar pain to surgery!), and *bloody* explosive diarrhea (now *that's* fun!), it's hard to imagine that any potential food could be worth taking that risk.

Keep in mind that there is no cure for the poison. When you get to the emergency room they'll give you a bucket and wait for it to end. The intervention they'll provide is if you become dehydrated from the vomiting and diarrhea, or if you show other dangerous symptoms.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck