Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHappyHippos
Stranger
Loc: South Carolina
Mushroom Identification
    #4741575 - 10/01/05 03:49 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Mushroom identification. I've got two types of mushrooms that I've recentally discovered in my back yard, South Carolina.

* Habitat: Woods/grass in eastern South Carolina. Found on dirt and in shady spots around logs and trees.
* Characteristics of the gills (color - white, frilled)
* Characteristics of the stem (length - 2 inches, diameter - skinny, color - white
* Characteristics of the cap (diameter - 1 inch,color - white/tan

* Habitat: Woods/grass in eastern South Carolina. Found on dirt and in shady spots around logs and trees.
* Characteristics of the gills (color - yellow, sponge like)
* Characteristics of the stem (length - 3 inches, color - tanish yellow
* Characteristics of the cap (diameter - 2 inch,color - brownish/tan

Anyone know what kind these shrooms are ? and are they edible ? Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom Identification [Re: HappyHippos]
    #4741988 - 10/01/05 06:18 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

The first one is an Amanita. Did it have a ring at an earlier stage of development?

The second is a bolete. We need to see the stem very up close and detailed to go for genus. If you scratch the tubes with a fingernail, do they change color? If so, how long does it take?

The first one should definitely *not* be considered edible. Amanitas are responsible for more mushroom fatalities than all other mushrooms put together. Although boletes as a group are fairly safe, we need more info to guess whether this is one of the edible species.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineDrunkenAttempt
Chemically Inclined
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nova Scotia, CANADA
Re: Mushroom Identification [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4744843 - 10/02/05 10:17 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

the second one might be Gyroporus Castaneus, edible but not atcive.

--------------------

Nature is my God, Science is my religion.

Offlinedrmiller739
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: Mushroom Identification [Re: HappyHippos]
    #8972673 - 09/23/08 11:48 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

first one is most likely a "amanita volvata"

it's not known to be poisonous but should not be eaten (don't experiment) also many amanitas are poisonous and they all look very similar (watch out for Amanita Virosa)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria