Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
Florida shroom hunting * 1
    #474089 - 11/29/01 08:42 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

This is my first post in the shroom hunting forum, since it's the first time this year I've been somewhere where I stand some kind of chance of finding some shrooms outdoors... namely Florida, just north of Vero Beach.  There are cow fields just a short walk away, went out this afternoon but found only a few mushrooms none of which looked like the Cubensis my pet sloth used to grow at home.  Any tips on what's available hereabouts (cubes, blue meanies?) this time of year and how I should look for them?  Anyone in the Vero Beach / Melbourne area who wouldn't mind me tagging along on a shroom hunt?  I really like the idea of just walking along and picking ready-made shrooms off the ground as I go :laugh:
-WW-

--------------------
I am a figment of my own imagination
http://go.to/FreeSporeRing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Florida shroom hunting [Re: wind_wraith]
    #474696 - 11/30/01 11:22 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

This time of year (winter) in florida the shrooms do indeed and are indeed growing, year-round. However, for a begining shroom hunter, chances of finding wild shroom during this time of year (winter, dryseason=less mushroom growth) are significantly less likely than a beginer learning during the summer (rainyseason=more mushrooms fruiting).

Give it a go though ~ never know what you can found out there..

Good luck,
GG

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
Re: Florida shroom hunting [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #475413 - 11/30/01 09:54 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks GGreat, yeah I haven't exactly been picking shrooms by the handful like I'd hoped, however I was able to invest a little more time today and I did find a few small cubensis (I'm pretty sure). Not enough to trip off of or anything, but it's a start. I photographed and collected seven different species of mushroom (puffballs were the most plentiful, followed by these clusters of bright orange shelf-like things), but none of them apart from the little cubensis-looking shrooms had bruised blue when I took them out of the bag, so I'm assuming I never came across any Pans. I have the probably-cubensis spore printing right now, but you can already see a dark area beneath the shroom in the photograph, didn't notice that when I took it. All in all I found a cubensis or three growing in three different places, but wasn't able to make any generalizations about why they were where they were, or what sort of places I should look in for more... ?
Below the cubes is a pic of a monster shroom I found growing in a ditch... no blue-bruising unfortunately :-)

--------------------

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
    #476490 - 12/01/01 08:42 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

bump

Well, I'm at the point of eating my find for a final confirmation that they are in fact cubensis... so I want to make sure I have all the details right.  I've read nearly all the material in the three identification guides linked to by the Shroomery, but still some things are unclear.  Would someone please confirm the following or tell me I'm dead wrong... it's very important :frown:

1) all Psilocybe and Panaeolus/Copelandia species do bruise blue.
2) but, there is one non-psilocybian species (what's it called?) which also bruises blue.
3) Panaeolus/Copelandia species all have black sporeprints, sometimes tending towards violet like the Psilocybes.  Does anything else have black sporeprints which might conceivably be mistaken for a cube/pan?

Thanks for any helpful info, -WW-

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #476571 - 12/01/01 10:09 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Did the cubie in your picture have a pruple veil? Was it growing from cow shit? Did it smell like the cubies your friend's pet mongoose grows?

1. No, most panaeolus species do not briuse blue, but most Ps and Coplandia(sometimes called panaeouls) do
2. Gymnospilius spectablis(sp?)... Big Laughing gym.. its an orange/yellow shelf like mushroom =P it grows on decaying wood
3. Yeah, most pans have jet black prints. There are some agaricus that may drop black spores, but nothing toxic that comes to mind... Someone may correct me on that one.

Peace out,
-Gumby

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #476956 - 12/02/01 09:59 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

There are more than 186 species of magic mushrooms which contain the trytamine alkaloids psilocine, psilocybine, baeocystine, norbaeocystine and aeruginascine.

They are comprised to twelve species in 7 families or genera to the agaricales.

Agaricus mushrooms have a chocolate-brown sporeprint.

Panaeolus and Copelandia have a black print. Yes some mushrooms in every genera do stain blue but vary from shroom to shroom depending on age, weather conditions and human handling or dame to the flesh of the mushroom after handling and during various stages of drying but no all stain blue.

Some also stain a bluish-green in drying/

Pluteus species have a pink sporeprint. and Gymnopilus an rusty-orange to yellowish-orange print.

Inocybe sopecies have a brown spore deposit.

Out of these more than 186 psilocybian species about 25 of them or more are found in the manure of four-legged ruminants.

Have a shroomy day.

mj

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
shroomy day [Re: mjshroomer]
    #479445 - 12/04/01 11:49 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the info, guys. Well, today I found the mother "load", so to speak, a new cow pasture I ventured onto, with none of the safe seclusion of the one I've been shroom hunting on, but more water and longer grass, meaning more and bigger cubensis. I didn't stay very long as I was in full view of half a dozen farm houses and a major road, but the cubensis were everywhere, and HUGE compared to most of the tiny specimens I'd found before. Below is a pic of today's catch of cubensis, below that are a few cone-capped dark-colored shrooms with stiff woody stems which I think may be Pans (spore-printing now), and below that are what I suspect are a lot of small leathery cubensis -- that's about the best I was able to find on the other pasture, glad I won't have to bother with them now.
Oh, incidentally I'm not planning on eating that giant cap on the bottom left in the top pic -- it smelled like a cubensis and has dark gills like a cubensis, but it doesn't seem to be bruising blue like a cubensis. The quarter in the top center shows scale (yeah, they're bigguns :-)

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: shroomy day [Re: wind_wraith]
    #480796 - 12/05/01 02:09 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Wow you found a lot of them..right on!~

Nice cubes.

The second picture of mushrooms contains "Fakes".
-Panaeolus campanutulus* (i spelled that wrong) but they are definately not Copelandia.
--Toss them out.

Throw away everything in the third pic.

Keep shroomin,
gg

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
Re: shroomy day [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #482306 - 12/06/01 06:50 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

The second picture of mushrooms contains "Fakes".
-Panaeolus campanutulus* (i spelled that wrong) but they are definately not Copelandia.
--Toss them out.

No need... they've all desintigrated. I've discovered that there's no such thing as air-drying shrooms in Florida air... that giant pseudo-cubensis (which did eventually stain slightly blue, but had a brown spore print) grew maggots, the true cubes didn't dry but are still o.k... but the Pan-looking shrooms were reduced to little puddles of black sludge. Needless to say I bought some dessicant today and will be drying them with that.

When I was growing I always thought Panaeolus ("pans") were the same thing as Copelandia ("copes"), but shroom-hunters seem to distinguish between them... ?

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: shroomy day [Re: wind_wraith]
    #483140 - 12/07/01 01:54 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

>When I was growing I always thought Panaeolus ("pans") were the same thing as Copelandia ("copes"), but shroom-hunters seem to distinguish between them... ?

In some parts of the world you will find what we americans call Copelandia cyaneses(sp) refered to as Panaeolus cyaneses.

Depends on your region of the world. I was talking with a fellow shroomerite from India and he said that the genus Copelandia doesn't exist over there. So in other words yeah, for the most part Pans are the same genus as Copes.

Peace out,
-Gumby

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: shroomy day [Re: Gumby]
    #484038 - 12/08/01 12:18 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hi,

Well there are three variations of Copelandia in Florida.

Cope. cyanescens
Cope. westii
Cope. chlorostysis

--All three of these mushrooms are identical macroscopically, and can only be told apart by microscopic examination. (Supposedly).

Also, Copelandia tropicalis also grows throughout the Entire state. Tropicalis is not recorded to have been found in florida, but the strain most commonly cultivated and sold within spore companys is from tropicalis originally found on the panhandle.

Keep on shroomin,
gg

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
Re: shroomy day [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #484889 - 12/09/01 09:21 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting. I think it's time I learned a little mycology...

--------------------

OfflineSporeDude
Stranger
Loc: N/E Florida
    #514962 - 01/08/02 11:20 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I live in the Jacksonville area and we are still picking Cubensis here (smaller amounts) even though it is cold out. I have never picked in the Melbourne area but I did bring several quarts of "blue honey" from Jacksonville to the last HempFest there (everyone tripped that wanted to). I will be at the next HempFest as well if they (Jody Foster and Kevin Aplin) organize another one.

--------------------
I am not a human being having a spiritual experience, I am a spiritual being having a human experience

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Florida shroom hunting [Re: SporeDude]
    #517293 - 01/11/02 10:30 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Hey sporedude -

Cubensis are at their best right now in my area.
Quality gold tops along with perfect weather to pick,
Makes January my favorite time of year. =)

Peace

Invisiblewind_wraith
veteran
    #518092 - 01/12/02 01:29 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

And makes me wish I had another visit coming up :-)
A FOAF still has 8g of cubensis left over from his shroom hunting exploits down there, he's saving them for a special occasion.

--------------------

OfflineMakanazoez
Stranger
    #23840097 - 11/16/16 09:16 PM (7 years, 4 months ago)

Hey! I just moved to florida and am very interested in looking aswell, I'm in Vero Beach what about yourself and where to look!?!?!?!

OfflineFLDude
Stranger
Re: Florida shroom hunting [Re: Makanazoez]
    #23983199 - 01/05/17 06:53 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Makanazoez said:
Hey! I just moved to florida and am very interested in looking aswell, I'm in Vero Beach what about yourself and where to look!?!?!?!

Same here and close to Vero. Happy to meet up with members to pick some shrooms. With all the cows and such I saw in Vero, should be a good area for it I would think, but I have no experience with hunting for them personally. If I gather correctly from this thread, Jan a good month for it.

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Florida shroom hunting [Re: FLDude]
    #23983211 - 01/05/17 07:04 AM (7 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FLDude said:
Quote:

Makanazoez said:

Same here and close to Vero. Happy to meet up with members to pick some shrooms. With all the cows and such I saw in Vero, should be a good area for it I would think, but I have no experience with hunting for them personally. If I gather correctly from this thread, Jan a good month for it.

Firstly, it is not allowed to ask for hunting partners and/or specific locations.

Secondly, you're posting in a thread that is more than 14 years old. If you start a thread of your own, the
chances are much higher that you'll get valid opinions and up-to-date answers to your questions.

Welcome to the Shroomery! :cheers:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate