Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Psychic Powers.
    #4731312 - 09/29/05 11:35 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Ive always been a sceptic of this, but lately i have been watching Psychic detectives on Court Tv and these people are amazing. How could one go about explaining this phenomenon.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineqhr0me
o = oo
Loc: sun diego, ca
Re: Psychic Powers. [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #4731342 - 09/29/05 11:43 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

all this psychic p0wer floating around and they can't forsee crap like 9/11 or katrina or what have you...  but i don't watch tv (other than the simpsons when i'm at the gym where they have 2983726698 tv's), so can't talk about the awesomeness of court tv psytectors :smile:

OfflineDeviate
Re: Psychic Powers. [Re: qhr0me]
    #4731373 - 09/29/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

^what do you mean? you don't even need psychic powers for forsee katrina, the weather report knew it was comming.

Offlineqhr0me
o = oo
Re: Psychic Powers. [Re: Deviate]
    #4731385 - 09/29/05 11:49 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, bad example!-)  let's go for the kennedy assasinations then :smile:

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychic Powers. [Re: qhr0me]
    #4731387 - 09/29/05 11:49 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Your mixing psychic with soothsayer. These people dont predict the future they see the past of people who might of met unfortunate ends and help police track down their murderers. It obviously shows the people really do have psychic powers. Man is a interconnected species their are many events happening where people have interconnecting fates. Ever read Carl Jungs Sychronicity?

Offlineqhr0me
o = oo
    #4731397 - 09/29/05 11:51 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

i don't have to read about jung's synchronicity. i'm mental and synchronicity to the n-th degree has been part of every manic episode i've surfed thru...

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #4731418 - 09/29/05 11:54 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

How could one go about explaining this phenomenon.

Way too vague to answer.

However, I have seen previous 'pyschic' detectives and they will say useless stuff like, "I see a road and there is lots of green around and the number three." Which could only refer to a million possible locations.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychic Powers. [Re: Swami]
    #4732078 - 09/29/05 02:11 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You obviously have never watched the show. Dont you think their are a lot of things that cant be explained with science or rational thought.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4732131 - 09/29/05 02:24 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

These people dont predict the future they see the past of people who might of met unfortunate ends

Yeah, they amaze the audience with details of the case they 'couldn't possibly know' even though that knowledge can be found in the newspaper microfilm section of the local library.

and help police track down their murderer

But somehow they can't find Osama's cave even though he murdered several thousand (and continues to murder dozens every day).

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: Psychic Powers. [Re: Diploid]
    #4732185 - 09/29/05 02:35 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Obviously once again you have never seen the show. You discredit my argument yet you know nothing of what you are discrediting.

These people are not fakes they dont go around and host telephone hotlines these people help police solve cases that have not been solved. If they were phonies the police wouldnt be using them in the first place. Also why have they solved so many investigations

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #4732703 - 09/29/05 04:42 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Obviously once again you have never seen the show. You discredit my argument yet you know nothing of what you are discrediting

That is an incorrect assumption. :thumbdown:

And I notice that even as you spend time attacking me and in so doing add nothing to the discussion, you also sidestep my questions which would at least bring something to the table.  :thumbdown:

If they were phonies the police wouldnt be using them in the first place.

If they were real, Osama would be in jail.

If they were real, Sadam would have been found by a psychic, not by old-fashioned legwork.

If they were real, private investigators, who compete fiercely with each other, would be hiring them left and right.

Also why have they solved so many investigations

If they have solved so many investigations, why aren't they standard hires in every police department? I'll tell you why: because they haven't solved anything.

Dan Cooke, head of public relations for the Los Angeles Police Department (one of the largest PDs on the planet) has this to say about the issue:

The LAPD has not, does not and will not use psychics in the investigation of crimes. If a psychic offers free information to us over the phone, we will listen to them politely, but we do not take them seriously. It is a waste of time.

This sounds closed-minded, but he has good reasons for dismissing psychics.

To their credit, the LAPD commissioned a study to look into this issue. The study was done by Martin Reiser, director of Behavioral Sciences Services for the Los Angeles police, Susan Saxe, police staff  psychologist, and Detective Philip Sartuche, Robbery-Homicide Division. Here's an excerpt:

Contrary to some statements, the LAPD has not employed psychics in criminal investigations. The same situation appears to be true for most police departments contacted. In several well-publicized major cases where individuals who claimed psychic powers volunteered information to the department about the crime, the information has not proven useful to the investigation.

Since the psychic group produced approximately 10 times as much information as either of the two comparison groups (people guessing at random), it is more likely by chance alone that their data would produce more "hits." Despite this statistical advantage, the psychics were unable to produce information that was significantly better than the two comparison groups. It is important to note that no information that would have been investigatively useful, such as first and last names, license plate numbers, apartment house locations, etc., was accurately produced by any of the subjects. Statistically, the data fit a pattern that could be expected by chance.

Dr. Reiser's experiments also involved weapons that were used in homicide cases. These were mixed in with other weapons that were not used in crimes as experimental controls. It was found that the psychics were completely unable to tell the difference. :shrug:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Edited by Diploid (09/29/05 11:18 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom