Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next >
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Splitting S&P - Poll
    #4725048 - 09/28/05 11:40 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

After the consensus of the administration, mods and many members, it was determined a poll should be made to decide whether or not S&P will be split into two different forums - Spirituality&Mysticism and Philosophy&Rationalism. Now, the time has come do so. If the decision is to split the forum, there will be a 90 days trial to evaluate the pros and cons of this split. After those 90 days, the staff will decide if the forums continue as separate forums or not.

Please, if you have the time and patience, read the following threads first, they already contain some interesting discussion about this subject.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...eb022a1d05c9b90
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4712096/an/0/page/0

About the new forums,

Spirituality and Mysticism, a place to freely and positively express your spirituality and mysticism.

Regarding the new mysticism concept
Quote:

Mysticism, (mueo, 'to conceal'), is the pursuit of achieving communion with, or conscious awareness of ultimate reality, the divine, spiritual truth, or God through direct, personal experience (intuition or insight) rather than rational thought; the belief in the existence of realities beyond perceptual or intellectual apprehension that are central to being and directly accessible through personal experience; or the belief that such experience is a genuine and important source of knowledge. In the Hellenistic world, ?mystical? referred to 'secret' religious rituals.

Mystics experience intuitive knowledge of transcendent dimensions, beyond the phenomenal or material concrete objects of ordinary perception. The mystic sees things that are not part of ordinary experience. William James used the words 'ineffable' (which means that something cannot or should not be spoken) and 'noetic' (from the Greek νοῦς nous: 'relating to consciousness or intuition'), to describe the mystical experience.

A more general definition sees mysticism as an attempt to derive some wider meaning from personal experience, surpassing everyday human understanding and tapping insights normally hidden from our mundane selves. While usually understood in a religious context, a mystical experience may happen to anyone, does not require religious training, can occur unbidden and without preparation, and may not be understood as religious at all. (James, 1902) In various circumstances, such experiences may be interpreted non-exclusively as scientific or artistic inspiration, or even dismissed as a psychological disorder.

This forum could have the same set of rules S&P has now, plus a stricter debate rule regarding questioning beliefs.

Philosophy and Rationalism, a place to discuss about philosophical matters and to perform rational inquiry.

About the rationalist concept,
Quote:

Rationalism, also known as the rationalist movement, is a philosophical doctrine that asserts that the truth can best be discovered by reason and factual analysis, rather than faith, dogma or religious teaching. Rationalism has some similarities in ideology and intent to humanism and atheism, in that it aims to provide a framework for social and philosophical discourse outside of religious or supernatural beliefs; however, rationalism differs from both of these, in that:

* As its name suggests, humanism is centered around human society and achievements. Rationalism makes no claims that humans are more important than animals or any other part of nature. There are some rationalists who strongly oppose the anthropocentric philosophy.

* Atheism is the condition of being without theistic beliefs and alternatively the lack of belief in deities; rationalism makes no statement either way regarding the actual existence of deities although it rejects any belief based on faith alone. Although there is a strong atheistic influence in modern rationalism, with all prominent rationalists, including scientists such as Richard Dawkins and activists such as Sanal Edamaruku holding atheistic views, not all historical rationalists were atheists.

Outside of religious discussion, the discipline of rationalism may be applied more generally, for example to political or social issues. In these cases it is the rejection of emotion, tradition or fashionable belief which is the defining feature of the rationalist perspective.

During the middle of the twentieth century there was a strong tradition of organised rationalism, which was particularly influenced by free thinkers and intellectuals. In the United Kingdom, rationalism is represented by the Rationalist Press Association, founded in 1899.

Modern rationalism has little in common with the historical philosophy of continental rationalism expounded by Ren? Descartes. Indeed, a reliance on empirical science is often considered a hallmark of modern rationalism, whereas continental rationalism rejected empiricism entirely.

This forum could have fewer rules. I really like the idea to implement only two rules: 1. No flaming 2. Be respectful . I believe that would be enough for skeptics to feel at ease and freely question others ideas.

It is my opinion we should gather both forums under a unique forum. I tried to came up with a name for the main forum, the best i could think of was 'the transcendent experience'.

Quote:

In philosophy, transcendental/transcendence, has three different but related primary meanings, all of them derived from the word's literal meaning (from Latin), of climbing or going beyond: one that originated in Ancient philosophy, one in Medieval philosophy and one in modern philosophy.
In modern philosophy, Kant gave transcendental a new, third meaning in his theory of knowledge. For him it meant knowledge about our cognitive faculty with regard to how objects are possible a priori. Something is transcendental if it plays a role in the way in which the mind 'constitutes' objects and makes it possible for us to experience them as objects in the first place. Ordinary knowledge is knowledge of objects; transcendental knowledge is knowledge of how it is possible for us to experience those objects as objects. This is based on Kant's acceptance of David Hume's argument that certain general features of objects (e.g. persistence, causal relationships) cannot derive from the sense impressions we have of them. Kant argues that the mind must contribute those features and make it possible for us to experience objects as objects. In the central part of his Critique of Pure Reason, the 'Transcendental Deduction of the Categories', Kant argues for a deep interconnection between the ability to have self-consciousness and the ability to experience a world of objects. Through a process of synthesis, the mind generates both the structure of objects and its own unity. For Kant, the 'transcendent', as opposed to the 'transcendental', is that which lies beyond what our faculty of knowledge can legitimately know.

In phenomenology, the 'transcendent' is that which transcends our own consciousness - that which is objective rather than only a phenomenon of consciousness.

In everyday language, 'transcendence' means 'going beyond', and 'self-transcendence' means going beyond a prior form or state of oneself. Mystical experience is thought of as a particularly advanced state of self-transcendence, in which the sense of a separate self is abandoned.

Of course, i'll leave the discussion open regarding this issue. I think having two sub-forums inside a main forum is well thought in organizational terms. But we could forget this idea and just have two separate main forums. Either way, it all depends on the outcome of the poll.
Do you want to split S&P
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (09/28/05 11:36 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: MAIA]
    #4725554 - 09/28/05 01:37 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, Split S&P into "Spirituality & Mysticism" and "Philosophy & Rationalism".

I'm all for trying the split and looking what will be the net result of this. 90 days may be a bit short for the two forums to develop their own vibe, but we'll cross that bridge when we find it.

MAIN FORUM -- The Transcendent Experience
SUBFORUM -- Spirituality & Mysticism
SUBFORUM -- Philosophy & Rationalism

I see a potential for a moderator/poster void forming by introducing TWO new forums but I think The Transcendent Experience will be a good addition to The Psychedelic Experience and hopefully fill the void the current S&P cannot.

I'm all for it :thumbup:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineMJF
Human Being
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between 15 and 45 degrees long...
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: Asante]
    #4725624 - 09/28/05 01:56 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I voted for the Yes, Split S&P into "Spirituality & Mysticism" and "Philosophy & Rationalism".

But that subforum thing is kinda cool.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: MJF]
    #4726286 - 09/28/05 04:46 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Splitting philosophy from spiritualism is immpossible in reality as they are related too closely. You think enforcing rules here is hard now. Splitting the S&P would create more grey area. It would also not stop people from calling names or telling newbies that their religious ideas are wrong. It would just morph into people claimimg that their religion was superior to other religions. In any case my philosophy is spiritually based...so which forum do I go to? Another option is to make a forum for affirmations and virtual back scratching, and another for people who want to really discuss religion or philosophy. Another issue is why the UFO guys post here instead of science and technology...how about a separate forum for that shit?

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland Flag
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: Asante]
    #4726303 - 09/28/05 04:49 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Yes, Split S&P into "Spirituality & Mysticism" and "Philosophy & Rationalism".

I'm all for trying the split and looking what will be the net result of this. 90 days may be a bit short for the two forums to develop their own vibe, but we'll cross that bridge when we find it.

MAIN FORUM -- The Transcendent Experience
SUBFORUM -- Spirituality & Mysticism

I see a potential for a moderator/poster void forming by introducing TWO new forums but I think The Transcendent Experience will be a good addition to The Psychedelic Experience and hopefully fill the void the current S&P cannot.

I'm all for it :thumbup:

Here's my 2 cents, for those who 'want' to be challenged and debate their beliefs:

MAIN FORUM -- The Transcendent Experience (open debate allowed)
SUBFORUM -- Spirituality & Mysticism (happy love in)

lol, just there has to be some place for people who want to debate beliefs.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #4726307 - 09/28/05 04:50 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

sigh!

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Offlineqhr0me
o = oo
Loc: sun diego, ca
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: Gomp]
    #4726375 - 09/28/05 05:06 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

what does rational mean?

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: Thor]
    #4726395 - 09/28/05 05:08 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

If open debate is allowed in the main forum, then why do we need a rationalist subforum? Is not open debate itself simply the logical conclusion for rationalism and skepticism?

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: qhr0me]
    #4726396 - 09/28/05 05:09 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Ever read my posts? It's the opposite of that.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4726407 - 09/28/05 05:11 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Another issue is why the UFO guys post here instead of science and technology...how about a separate forum for that shit?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The main debaters fail to connect it to either S or P.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: Ravus]
    #4726420 - 09/28/05 05:14 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
If open debate is allowed in the main forum, then why do we need a rationalist subforum? Is not open debate itself simply the logical conclusion for rationalism and skepticism?

I agree. Either make two separate forums or a non-debate subforum, but don't make two subforums under a main forum.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4726431 - 09/28/05 05:16 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, I have questioned the UFO -- Spirituality link several times without a response from those who start UFO proof threads.

Seems if they believe it is the real deal, it should be Science and Tech. If not then maybe Mythology?

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: Silversoul]
    #4726439 - 09/28/05 05:18 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Agreed. We could have the main forum, Spirituality and Philosophy, for any open debate on any subject related to either of those two, and then a subforum, Mysticism and the Unexplained, for those who don't want to have open debate on their topics. In the subforum, they could post anything they wanted about UFOs, astrology, chakras, etc. and include the criteria in their posts, such as, "No non-believer reductionism! Only for those who assume the topic true!"

That'd be the simpler way, and I think it'd make most people happy. They could carry on with mystical conversations without any interference by skeptics, and if they want to discuss a spiritual topic with everyone, skeptics and atheists included, they could use the main forum.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: Ravus]
    #4726478 - 09/28/05 05:24 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Ravus that makes sense. :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: Icelander]
    #4726529 - 09/28/05 05:35 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

dano boy is the only one here who takes a scientific physical approach with it and his post belong in the science forum for sure.

If he were to discuss the philosophical or spiritual implications of ET visiting earth then, it would belong.

Everyone else, has the ET's tied in as celestial beings who are interactive with their spiritual growth, or religion or whatever their personal trip is.

There is a long history of celestial beings visiting earth from the heavens, being a mythical, metaphorical or freaking for real, the celestial beings play a role in a large number of peoples spiritual experience.

I've been around the spiritually message boards on the Internet and ALL of them, acknowledge the celestial beings. Maybe not all of the members in them do, but the boards do have reps for them or the board itself reps them.

I can think of a dozen S&Pers off of the top of my head who are hooked up with the cosmic homies and work with them on their spiritual growth.

I wish the shroomery had a meta physical forum. I realize some peoples brand of spirituality is more along self help line, like deepak, alan watts, ram das or wayne dryer stuff. Not knocking them. They or the like served as launching pads for me back when. More was to come and it did, for me and many others.

Some of us are cosmic kids and have sought or received guidance from off planet. They are a part of the why we are here and how we got here philosophies and spiritual growth of our lives. We have stuff to discuss/debate amongst ourselves too.

How does that fit in with the science forum?

We should be able to do it without having to Prove they are real. We don't care if anyone believes us, cept for Dani, but his interest in them is very material, not spiritual, not that I can tell anyway. The rest of us don't need to prove their existence to each other for us to discuss them and the role they play in our lives. The celestial beings are a part of our experiential reality and thats enough for us to roll.

However, next to no rolling has even happened here because people get so wigged out by it for some reason. So, for the most part, we stay mum.

FYI, I did post a poll a ways back asking about ET discussions here. The board was 50/50 with interest. If 50% found the topic interesting then, by all means, it needs a welcome home here at the shroomery.

Think of how many people alone deal with them during trips. Some of us deal with them when not tripping. Either way, talking about the experiences helps us to deal and grow.

I just wanted to post that for consideration with the split in the talks and works.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #4726617 - 09/28/05 05:50 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I am fairly new here, and have only seen UFO threads of the "I have proof" variety, which is why I questioned their spiritual basis.

Certainly discussions of the ways posters are spiritually influenced by their belief in/experiences with ET's would be relevant.

(Though not interesting to me personally.  Guess I'm in that other 50%. :grin:)

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: Silversoul]
    #4726621 - 09/28/05 05:51 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
Quote:

Ravus said:

I agree.  Either make two separate forums or a non-debate subforum, but don't make two subforums under a main forum.

Agreed. :thumbup:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4726676 - 09/28/05 06:03 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I agree. Either make two separate forums or a non-debate subforum, but don't make two subforums under a main forum.

Agreed.

:thumbup:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Splitting S&P - Poll [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #4726872 - 09/28/05 06:43 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

A non debate spirituality forum won't work. Like swami said in the post in WAF, what about those who want to debate how karma works or reincarnation works?

They do, or they won;t grow in their personal truths and understanding.

What people who want the split want it for is to NOT have to defend their truth of the existance of things like karma and reicarnation.

We just want a place where spirit and the untangible, etheric, energy behind the physical is a GIVEN PREMISE for all discussion and debate to spring forth from.

It's when philosohpical reductionists or science skeptics keep asking people discussing such things to prove the existance of spirit in a spirituality forum is when it just gets ridiculous and becomes counter productive.

Spirit is an ethereal body. Sprituality encompasses the ethereal aspect of existance.

That is why it has been in conflict with science skepticism and philosophical reductionism.

What is anyone who doesn't believe in soul, energy or spirit doing in a spirituality forum? Ohhhhhh because its also a philosophy forum. hense the problem being looked at and addressed.

Expect debate in the split or it will have no interest or appeal because we won't be able to challenge and question the stuff we at least mutually beleive in, just dont agree on the details. At least, we will be able to hammer out new understandings if we can spend out time and energy on that and not defending the premise itself.

Those debates can take place in the philosophy forum.

And Hue, philosophy is a large part of spirituality and would continue to be on the premise of spirits existance in a spirituality forum. I have lots of personal philosophies all based on that premise.

Philosophy is not neccesarily a part of spirituality and can exclude it easily as we have seen it done here.

When philosophers use logic and the razor to cut away the soul, spirit, and subjective intangible experience aspects of ones life is when we have problems houston.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinedaimyo
Monticello

#4727229 - 09/28/05 07:57 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

No disclaimer option?

--------------------
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order