Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedonkey_lipz
journeyman
bruising or OMG WTF!!!!!!!!! scared newb!
    #4712811 - 09/26/05 02:07 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

on the edge of the casing, there were light blue spots. very tiny spots of the blueness. specks about the size of a peice of millet. maybe 5 little specs.

i gently rubbed my finger on it, to see if it would transfer to my skin, no coloration on my skin.

tinfoil was used, wasnt taped up against the edge of the casing, therefor that edge was exposed to directly to the air. a peice of straw and chunk of uncolonized poo directly next to it were bone dry. this leads me to believe it bruised due to lack of moisture. the blue stuff is only on the edge and is only effecting areas that are already colozined.

dunno if its spreading, will watch closely.

does this sound like bruising? has anyone else had a similar scare? it does look similar to this pic,
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/05-17/485240204-CIMG1793.jpg
(NOT MY PIC)
although its such a small area, its hard to tell. its almost unnoticable.

Even if it was mold and only on a barely noticable ammount of the substrate, would it still make me seriously ill? the underneath of the substrate, all other sides were checked, nothing, substrate underneath the peices removed was also white.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: bruising or OMG WTF!!!!!!!!! scared newb! [Re: donkey_lipz]
    #4712819 - 09/26/05 02:14 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like bruising to me, best bet is too keep an eye on it for spreading. But from what you describe it sounds like bruising.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Offlinedonkey_lipz
journeyman
Re: bruising or OMG WTF!!!!!!!!! scared newb! [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #4714132 - 09/26/05 12:36 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

bump, what about the eating contams part?

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4714222 - 09/26/05 12:55 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Don't eat the contams, eat the mushrooms. lol
You're fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #4714234 - 09/26/05 12:57 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

well, it sounds like bruising due to lack of moisture.

You should NEVER touch a casing directly with your hands, you are opening yourself up to contams. If you want to test if it is bruising or a contam, get a q-tip and gently swab that area. If anything comes off on the q-tip, it is a contam.

As far as your question about contams.....If a section of your cake or casing has a contam on it, the whole thing does, even the fruit bodies. All nutrients are pulled through the mycelium network, if one part of it is contamed, it is feeding that contam to everything. All because that contam is on a small section of the cake or casing doesn't mean the other areas are not affected.

This question has been answered a lot in the last week...the answer to it is eat at your own risk. Generally green mold will not get you sick or kill you, but often times, when green mold is present, there are also other types of molds that you may not see as easily. Those types of molds can get you very Ill.

If you wouldn't eat a piece of moldy bread, don't eat moldy shrooms.

If it is in fact a contam, you can try to cut that section out, but usually by the time you see green mold, it has already spread everywhere. It is very rare that you will win the fight against mold other than cobweb.

Hope that helps.

GL TO YA

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate