Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGringoLoco
I spit in theface of peoplewho ain't cool.
 User Gallery

Loc: Monterey, CA
Procrastination
    #4675928 - 09/17/05 11:12 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I've got lots of test this week. I should be studying.

I spent a whopping two and a half today. I spent 6 reading DBZ comics and the death of WCW. Why? Because they were there and appealed more to me than thermodynamics. That kind of laziness, while it's in my nature, will definitely kill my grades. I need to stop it. So I ask, fellow shroomerites, how do you keep your mind on work and studies when you need to?

PS : I'm getting drunk right now because my Roomies are jibber jabberin too much for me to focus on studies. Just like me to come up with excuses like that

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Re: Procrastination [Re: GringoLoco]
    #4675965 - 09/17/05 11:25 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I think thermodynamics are much more interesting personally.

Offlinenonphixion
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Procrastination [Re: it stars saddam]
    #4676312 - 09/18/05 12:44 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

itstarssaddam said:
I think thermodynamics are much more interesting personally.

Yeah, I find it pretty interesting.

But I'm a procrastinator too, probably worse than you. I have 3 months of schoolwork backed up, haven't touched any of it until about 2 days ago. Only did one lesson, well all of it except for the last question.

--------------------

OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
    #4677168 - 09/18/05 09:52 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I need to stop it. So I ask, fellow shroomerites, how do you keep your mind on work and studies when you need to?

I wish I had an answer for you, but I am just as bad myself. I always wrote all of my papers and lab write ups the day they were due.

Changing your environment is probably your best option. The things that often distract me are television, internet, video games etc. If you went to a library to study or went to a park to read then you wouldn't have these distractions within your sight.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #4677250 - 09/18/05 10:29 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Man sounds like you need to smoke a bowl. :grin:

OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
    #4677721 - 09/18/05 01:30 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Overcoming those lazy habits are a bitch.
keep at it...

--------------------

Offlinesignoffate
Only Human
Loc: Where is here?
    #4680727 - 09/19/05 01:51 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

My solution was simple... quit school!!!

Procrastination make you feel like a total moron, cause you know you can do it, when you do do it it is mindblowingly gratifying, but prioritizing schoolwork before all the other things life has to offer you is a challenge for the the determinately challenged.

If I could give you any real advice here I probably wouldn't have dropped out, oh well, I'm laughing now but when all my friends graduate and I am still here...........
SHIT!

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Procrastination [Re: signoffate]
    #4682572 - 09/19/05 03:22 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

the key is to only take classes you give a damn about, so then you don't need to study much because you naturally pay attention and are already familiar with the "territory"

hell, i went to class, read a few definitions and that was the only studying I did and I got a 91 on my test. It was an easy as hell test though, and I already knew the material from 2 years ago (though it was largely forgotten) but.... my point is.... just get a feel for how hard your tests will be and study not at all, or the mininum you need....

it's not so much about studying just as it is understanding the material... and it's easier to pay moderate attention and gather a general understanding than it is to force yourself to study things that are "foreign" to you.

so like, in my other 2 classes i'm probably gonna have a hardass time with my laziness, but in the classes i'm taking for my major I don't really have to do anything other than read... and I find time to read in between classes when I don't have time to do much else.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

OfflineStonedShroom
OG shroomerite
 User Gallery

#4682999 - 09/19/05 05:23 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

one day procastination will bite you in the ass and you'll fix your habits.

I think that's what it takes to cure you of it.

I used to procatinate until I got a very fast-paced job. The first time I procastinated it almost cost me my job.

Now when I'm assigned something I get it done. all I can say is make yourself study and if you don't, then maybe making a bad grade on the test will be the kick you need.

--------------------
We are not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #4683466 - 09/19/05 07:18 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

GringoLoco said:

So I ask, fellow shroomerites, how do you keep your mind on work and studies when you need to?

Man, I will so tell you how to not procrastinate. i'll explain it to you later, im only halfway through my season of FIFA 2005.

I wish i had the answer, i am wondering the same thing sometimes. i'd like to say idle hands make the devil's work. but i have lots of routine yet important things to do, and i just wait to the last minute.

maybe i'll buy some big guy to whip my back everytime i'm fucking off instead of doing more important things, they built the pyramids that way.

I dunno, if it gets done right...does it matter how?

you have to really start worrying when procrastination takes a tun into sheer laziness.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #4683671 - 09/19/05 07:58 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The ability to expedite or facilitate processes [whatever the antonym for procrastinate is] is, like all of our abilities, a muscle. It needs to be excercised consistently and thoroughly developed for it to become powerful. Really, the enemy of accomplishing that is neurosis, which is defined as the excessive use of energy for unproductive purposes so that personality development is hindered or stopped. By that same token, neurosis is usually a result of a failure of personal growth. Chronic procrastination is a form of neurosis.
Conversely, the other end of the spectrum can also become neurotic as well. The result of this is usually workaholics and fast-paced, frenzious and inordinately "busy" people who can't seem to slow down and catch their breath.
But since that's not the topic of this discussion, I digress..

To reiterate the primary point here, it takes dedicated and consistent practice to reach the goal to overcome one's unhealthy habits, just as it takes consistent hard-work for one to build their physical strength. Plain and simple.
It is always going to be "hard" in the beginning, and just getting started is often the "hardest" part. In that sense, 50% of success is just getting started. The rest is excercising your muscles, so to speak.

Don't turn it into some "obligation" that you're imposing on yourself either.. Always remain cognizant of the fact that objectively, there is Nothing to do. Upon realizing that you know this, you become more free-spirited in the matter-at-hand, for it's own sake.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #4683859 - 09/19/05 08:38 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

procastination:  :thumbup:

its better to be smart and procastinate then to be dumb and work hard.

or something.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction.

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Procrastination [Re: Moonshoe]
    #4683885 - 09/19/05 08:44 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

it's just good to know when you need to do something, and when you don't.

i need to study for my other 2 classes, so hopefully i will.

but i didn't really need to for the other 2... and i think i aced them all the same.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

OfflineGringoLoco
I spit in theface of peoplewho ain't cool.
 User Gallery

Loc: Monterey, CA
Re: Procrastination [Re: leery11]
    #4684874 - 09/19/05 11:53 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Ugh, I stayed up all night procrastinating last night. Literally. I didn't go to sleep because I decided to do all of my slacking off in one big dose so I don't want to do it again. Oddly enough, it seems to have worked somewhat. I got about 5 good hours of studying in today. Afterwards I have that feeling, you know, I feel I learned something, now I hunger some more. I didn't slack off too bad today. There was a spell where I viewed a bunch of ytmnd's, but other than that I accomplished a fair bit today.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #4685430 - 09/20/05 07:17 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I spent a whopping two and a half today.

I comend you for that. Hell, I never study.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order