Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewallace
Male

Loc: Canada
am I right in saying this is g. aeruginosa?
    #4658456 - 09/14/05 04:20 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I am interested if you think these are in fact aeurginosa.
This is the (scaly) cap.

The drying gills...

Some purple bruising on the stalk...

A side view...

And heavy spore dropping.

This mushroom had a cap of about 10cm in diameter. Firm stalk, perhaps slightly less than 1cm in diameter. No visible annulus. What APPEARS to be decurrent gills. Bright orange spores. It was growing on wood chips.

I have a whole bunch of questions. First of all, I have found NOTHING in my Japanese guides (all 4 have aeruginosa) that would indicate this could be anything other than aeruginosa. However, gymnopilus is notoriously difficult. People say luteofolius looks like spectabilis. Do you know any aeruginosa lookalikes? Why does it appear that I have no annulus if I indeed have aeruginosa? And it almost looks like I have decurrent gills. Does the gill attachment look normal for a mature specimen in this species? According to my guides which include one with illustrations, the gills should not attach like this. I am also interested in the purplish bruising on the stalk. Does that have anything to do with psilocin?
Thanks.

--------------------
Wallace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: am I right in saying this is g. aeruginosa? [Re: wallace]
    #4658627 - 09/14/05 06:52 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Start by taking a spore print. The gills don't look like g. aeruginosa to me, but this might also be due to the age of the specimens. On second thought, the attachment of the gills to the stem looks different in your finds from g. aeruginosa. I'm afraid you found something else.

Invisiblewallace
Male

Re: am I right in saying this is g. aeruginosa? [Re: koraks]
    #4658636 - 09/14/05 07:09 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Start by taking a spore print.

Take a look at our sixth picture.

--------------------
Wallace

Edited by wallace (09/14/05 07:09 AM)

Invisiblekoraks
    #4658831 - 09/14/05 09:12 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Spore prints are taken on white paper.

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
    #4659003 - 09/14/05 10:00 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You can see the spores on the stalk in the sixth pic, an orangish/brown color.

Sorry Wallace, I can't help with ID.

You're always finding a wide variety of fungi and taking great pictures to share with us. Too bad no habitat shots this time. Still cool though.
Peace

Invisiblekoraks
Re: am I right in saying this is g. aeruginosa? [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #4659143 - 09/14/05 10:34 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MadSeasonAbove said:
You can see the spores on the stalk in the sixth pic, an orangish/brown color.

Yes, I saw that. I made the remark about the white paper because prints on other surfaces may have a slightly different appearance, which may lead to false conclusions. As spore deposits in the sixth pic are very dense indeed, the spore color can be determined with some certainty. However, it's still best to follow general practice in spore printing as this facilitates comparisons to literature and similar finds.

wallace, could you tell us something about the habitat you found these specimens in? Especially what type of trees are associated with this species? This might help narrow down the possibilities somewhat.

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #4659505 - 09/14/05 11:40 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Please do not use the word "facilitate" in this forum.

Thanks,

-Psiclops

just joking.

Oh , by the way, Wallace, I just met a really hot chick, from Japan, yesterday. Her name: Arika. I just wanna...mmmm...yeahh. zoom zoom zoom and a boom boom.

Invisiblewallace
Male

Re: am I right in saying this is g. aeruginosa? [Re: psiclops]
    #4663127 - 09/14/05 11:08 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for all the input. They were growing right off woodchips in a flower bed. Actually some chips can be seen attached to the base in the picture. Very cool mushroom.

--------------------
Wallace

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #4665671 - 09/15/05 02:48 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It looks like a Gymnopilus but there should be some green staining for G. aeruginosa. Sometimes the stain is subtle. Try nibbling on a bit to check for an extremely bitter taste (don't swallow).

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4667031 - 09/15/05 08:08 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

G. lutefolius looks pretty much like that also, I think you will need
to measure the spores to be sure what you have. My guess would be lutefolius.
I have seen them almost that size.

Edit: I thought is said 10 inches not 10cm. I have seen lutefolius at least 6 inches across the cap. Ussually they are the size of yours or smaller.

Edited by falcon (09/16/05 09:07 PM)

Invisiblewallace
Male

Re: am I right in saying this is g. aeruginosa? [Re: falcon]
    #4689354 - 09/21/05 07:10 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Okay, you said subtle, Workman. I specifically looked for green staining and found an unmistakeable ring near the base of the stalk. What you see here is from a 30 degree angle, so you might argue with me on this... but green it was. Look for a faint green ring around the mycelium that is in focus. (There ain't much.)

--------------------
Wallace

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #4692416 - 09/21/05 09:14 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Those certainly look like Gymnopilus to me at first glance. As far as species, that's a bit tougher. We really need a microscope and some chemical testing (Meltzer's) to be really sure.

The cap is not as greenish as I would expect for G. aeruginosus, but it could have changed color as it aged. One distinctive character of G. aeruginosus is that the context of the cap is pallid or whitish, tinged greenish or dull bluish green, when dry becoming yellowish to vinaceous. Spore size would also be useful character if they could be measured.

Hongo reported G. aeruginosus from Japan in 1959, so we can be pretty sure it occurs there.

I wouldn't consider eating it unless I could be 100% sure of what it was, and more info is needed to be really sure.

Interesting specimens.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblewallace
Male

Re: am I right in saying this is g. aeruginosa? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4699212 - 09/23/05 03:03 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I apologize for being obsessed with one mushroom for so long. It is just that I have never seen bluing before (in my case it was purpling that has become a dark navy/purple), and overall I just like how it looks. No fashion designer would combine wine/burgundy with orange, but in a mushroom it looks nice.
Thanks Toxic Man for the input and one further question for you and the house. IN GENERAL, with a genus like Gymnopilus, can you look through your guides and narrow it down to what it must/can only be? Or is it wiser to painstakingly match everything (like the green hue) before you proclaim that you have got it? If the US has 70 gymnos, is it fair to assume that Japan has more than the four that the guides all feature?
And does the way the stalk has purpled mean that it has psilocin in it? I have no intention of eating a gymnopilus anytime soon, but I started out looking for mushrooms that turned blue and if you think this is indeed bluing, I should mark my calendar. And yes, it should be "aeruginosus" as I posted.
Thanks.

--------------------
Wallace

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder