Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSpanielmander
Stranger thanfiction
 User Gallery
Loc: PA/NYC
First grow planned; a few miscelaneous questions
    #4604277 - 08/31/05 03:39 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

A friend and I are gathering materials for our first grow. I've been scouring the site for days, trying to learn as much as possible about what to expect and which methods are the most reliable. Still, I haven't been able to find answers to all my questions. So here they are:

1) Lots of people here seem to have very little respect for shrooms grown on BRF. Let me make this clear: WE ARE NOT USING POO. We'd like to, but it's simply impossible right now. I've read about birdseed and rye as alternate substrates. So,
a) Of the three (brf, birdseed, rye), which yields the highest potency?
b) Which is most "fool-proof?"
c) If I am using the PF Tek, can I simply substitute ground-up birdseed or rye for the brf powder? As in, will the amount of water used be about the same? (I am aware that I need to soak rye for 24 hours to germinate harmful spores; I assume birdseed would be the same).

2) I've searched the entire site (not where-in-the-world-is-carmen-sandiego thoroughly, but thoroughly enough) and I haven't come across an answer to this question:
If the problem with BRF is that it lacks certain nutrients found in poo, can it be enhanced with commercial/household fertilizer such as miracle-gro? It seems like a DUH question but I haven't seen it asked here before.

3) I'm used to buying shrooms from random dealers. Are these likely grown on grain substrates, or are they usually grown on poo? My inclination would be to say grain, but I'm interested to hear what you all have to say. It'd be nice if they're usually grown on grain, so I know what to expect, dosage-wise.

That's about it, I think the site has answered all the other questions I had when the idea to grow first entered my head (and there were many).

--------------------
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
~Stephen Crane

Edited by Spanielmander (08/31/05 03:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineixitwistedixi
The TwIsTeD One

Re: First grow planned; a few miscelaneous questions [Re: Spanielmander]
    #4604311 - 08/31/05 03:49 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

1) A) Probably WBS or Grain - Im not sure there is a difference in potency between the two but better than BRF
B) BRF PF TEK
C) Nope there are different steps I wish i had a link but it can be found - See related threads
2) No there isnt much you can do ive seen worm castings added and thigs of that sort but Dunk and Roll will help with the size of yeilds (im not sure about potency tho)
3) Depends on your dealer. If he pushes a shit load of shrooms probably Bulk H-Poo. You would have to do alot of cakes to get Bulk.

- Good Luck Bro!

Edited by ixitwistedixi (08/31/05 03:50 PM)

OfflineSpanielmander
Stranger thanfiction
 User Gallery
Re: First grow planned; a few miscelaneous questions [Re: ixitwistedixi]
    #4617909 - 09/03/05 10:24 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, thanks for the quick and thorough reply. I'm just glad I didn't get the typical "<sigh> newb."

Two more questions:

1) My incubation chamber is going to be two large rubbermaid tubs, one inside another, with water heated by a fishtank heater between them, forming a jacket. To provide light, would a simple fluorescent bulb, hung from the lid of the case, do the job?

(In order to expose all surfaces of the cakes to light, I plan to screw several hooks onto the underside of the lid and hang the light in different places, while rotating the cakes. Good idea?)

2) Should I incubate the inoculated jars in my (dark) incubation chamber?

--------------------
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
~Stephen Crane

Offlinegreatlakes
Stranger
    #4617942 - 09/03/05 10:31 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

all i can say is this is my foaf's first grow using wbs cased with 50/50+

Me and my friends are all vets with it comes to taking shrooms and these things knocked are socks off for sure

Edited by greatlakes (09/03/05 10:32 PM)

Offlinegreatlakes
Stranger
Re: First grow planned; a few miscelaneous questions [Re: greatlakes]
    #4617950 - 09/03/05 10:34 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

yes that should be enough light and yes place the jars in the dark i did mine at 83-85 degs and they where done in 11 days
PS i fruited my in a different chamber then the jars where in,,,,you need a 10 deg drop in temps to fruit them

Edited by greatlakes (09/03/05 10:39 PM)

OfflineSpanielmander
Stranger thanfiction
 User Gallery
Re: First grow planned; a few miscelaneous questions [Re: greatlakes]
    #4618109 - 09/03/05 11:22 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

greatlakes said:
PS i fruited my in a different chamber then the jars where in,,,,you need a 10 deg drop in temps to fruit them

Space and cash are both concerns... since cubes fruit at around 70-75 degrees, couldn't I just turn off the heater, drain the water, and start giving them light when the cakes are fully colonized?

--------------------
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
~Stephen Crane

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #4618187 - 09/03/05 11:36 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Shure you can :smile:

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

OfflineSpanielmander
Stranger thanfiction
 User Gallery
Re: First grow planned; a few miscelaneous questions [Re: OldSpice]
    #4618437 - 09/04/05 01:05 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

You guys rule. A lot.

--------------------
"Sir I exist!"
A sense of obligation."
~Stephen Crane

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First grow planned; a few miscelaneous questions [Re: OldSpice]
    #4618476 - 09/04/05 01:18 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

1) Lots of people here seem to have very little respect for shrooms grown on BRF. Let me make this clear: WE ARE NOT USING POO. We'd like to, but it's simply impossible right now. I've read about birdseed and rye as alternate substrates. So,

I got no disrespect for cakes. If you get that vibe, it's ridiculous. Try taking a look at mycotopia some time, there are some kick ass cake growers over there, and they have a different community, different culture and different fads. Poo is the super fad here at the shroomery at the moment. No different than BRF, WBS, Rye, Straw, manure, castings or compost have been at other times. (BTW, other folks will probably argue with this, but remember, they are caught up in the fad, of course they will, ever try to tell someone wearing a swatch that it was a silly fad? Did they believe you?) If you only need a moderate amount of shrooms, have any desire to avoid using a pressure cooker, or want near bomb-proof simpleness, BRF is great. I wouldn't grow on it myself, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it at all.
Quote:

a) Of the three (brf, birdseed, rye), which yields the highest potency?

I really don't think either that you will notice a difference at all. Too many other variables, particularly the ones inside your/friends head/s.
Quote:

c) If I am using the PF Tek, can I simply substitute ground-up birdseed or rye for the brf powder? As in, will the amount of water used be about the same? (I am aware that I need to soak rye for 24 hours to germinate harmful spores; I assume birdseed would be the same).

Naw dude, just use BRF. Seriously, the other things aren't any better, and why go in to at best murky water when the PF tek is so well documented and foolproof? There is absolutely nothing wrong with straight up PF tek! (well, maybe there are better terreriums, but you know what I mean).
Quote:

If the problem with BRF is that it lacks certain nutrients found in poo.....

There is no problem with BRF. There are benefits to other substrates in some situations, but they don't fix problems with BRF, they address concerns specific to the situations. Like making 10,000 cakes vs. a drum of pasteurized straw. Doesn't fix a problem with pf substrate, it addresses a situational problem of processing 10,000 cakes.
Quote:

can it be enhanced with commercial/household fertilizer such as miracle-gro?

no. I don't think it needs to be enhanced. If you are dying to, perhaps look into aliens substrate. Or maybe just use some castings tea or something as your water. BTW, this question has been asked lots, you should be able to find a plethora of info if you search, don't forget to search in advanced mycology too.
Quote:

3) I'm used to buying shrooms from random dealers. Are these likely grown on grain substrates, or are they usually grown on poo? My inclination would be to say grain, but I'm interested to hear what you all have to say. It'd be nice if they're usually grown on grain, so I know what to expect, dosage-wise.

Well, it won't help with dosage ( I doubt there is a connesoir here who could really tell the difference between cake shrooms and grain shrooms if given a blind challenge), but I know for a fact that commercial shrooms come from all sorts of substrates, wild collected, pf tek, grains, composts, straw, poo, etc. Now, if you are seeing massive weight, like lbs, then there is very little chance it was grown on cakes just given the scale. Otherwise it's almost impossible to tell. Your shrooms will be stronger than commercial ones, almost surely. The will be well cared for, properly dried, properly stored and fresh. Something you just aren't likely to get on the streets.
Quote:

1) My incubation chamber is going to be two large rubbermaid tubs, one inside another, with water heated by a fishtank heater between them, forming a jacket. To provide light, would a simple fluorescent bulb, hung from the lid of the case, do the job?

naw, don't put the light inside. But you don't put lights in an incubation chamber anyway. I think you might be a little confused here....
Quote:

2) Should I incubate the inoculated jars in my (dark) incubation chamber?

Same here....incubation chambers are for incubating, yes that's what you do. yes it should be dark. But then you take away the heat, add light and fresh air when it's time to fruit. Even if you this in the same container, it's still not called an incubation chamber, now it's a fruiting chamber.

I think you are planning on using the incubator to fruit in. My suggestion is that it's rarely necessary or a good thing to actually heat the fruiting chamber, particularly this time of year. Fruiting temps should be in the 70's, which is easily maintained in most homes this time of the year.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds