Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDimeBDRocker
Stranger
Erasing Computer History
    #4601258 - 08/30/05 09:46 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hello all,

my name is J, and I've been reading on this site and these forums for a quite a while now, and I finally decided to come out of the shadows with a question of my own.

I am concerned with my computers history, things like aim chats that could get one into trouble. I am only mediocre with computers at best, and have downloaded programs like BeClean, however I dont know if this is fully getting rid of what I need gone. Any suggestions on programs, or certain ways to do this would be greatly appreciated, so I can start my first exploration into this culture with a clean slate.

Thanks to everyone on these boards, hope to stay for a long time,

peace,
J :evil:  \m/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePerfectlyDefectd
Dr. Pedro

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Erasing Computer History [Re: DimeBDRocker]
    #4601658 - 08/30/05 11:04 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

well welcome to the shroomery, what an odd place to put ur first post.. i wish i could help but im dumb.. someone will be along soon enough

OfflineGulGen
Old Bird
Male User Gallery

Loc: I live in the Internet
Re: Erasing Computer History [Re: PerfectlyDefectd]
    #4602912 - 08/31/05 09:04 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

It depends what exactly you're wanting erased and how paranoid you are.

There are a ton of programs out there to do pretty much what you're talking about. I did a quick search on BeClean and it sounds like it covers all of the normal stuff - that is, most of the histories that Windows itself (or Internet Explorer) keeps. It won't get rid of AIM logs, nor will most such programs, because it's assumed that you'd want to keep those. If you don't want them around then you can manually delete them. I don't have AIM installed, but I'd guess that you could do a search ("Find" in the Start Menu) for files named *.log and that'd show you where they are. They'll show up as a series of files each named "[someone's username].log". If not, look around the directory AIM is installed to (maybe C:\Program Files\AOL Instant Messanger\) and delete them manually.

That's assuming of course that you do actually have logging turned on. Hunt around the AIM options to check if you're not sure, and if you don't want them then turn it off.

And if you feel like being paranoid, know that anything you delete will probably be recoverable for awhile by those that know how (as easy as downloading a program), but unless someone's really digging it's nothing to worry about. There are programs you can get that will "shred" the data so that it's unrecoverable if you're that concerned about it though.

If there are any other specific programs / histories you're concerned about, or if I confused you more than I helped (I'm tired, I do that sometimes) let me know and I'll try to set you straight.

And though I'm fairly new too, welcome to the Shroomery :mushroom2:

OfflineDimeBDRocker
Stranger
Re: Erasing Computer History [Re: GulGen]
    #4603662 - 08/31/05 12:43 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

the tip to search for the .log files worked out, you didn't confuse me too much haha, but thank you for the welcome as well GulGen, same to you PerfectlyDefectd. I'd like to know about some programs that can permanently shred your histories though as well. I'm not overwhelmingly paranoid, however safety with this stuff is a big issue with me.

catch ya in a little bit, and ty again. got some electric guitar to play

OfflineDimeBDRocker
Stranger
    #4603668 - 08/31/05 12:46 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

just saw this:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/1892464

great post right there =) helped me immediately.

OfflineGulGen
Old Bird
Male User Gallery

Loc: I live in the Internet
    #4605143 - 08/31/05 07:04 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm, there are several programs that will shred files, but what I've seen in the past has been for shredding individual files on command rather than mass-shredding histories and stuff. I searched around a bit and found  Eraser , which sounds like a great program. It'll erase most or all standard histories / logs, and if there's anything it misses you can delete that some other way and this will shred anything that has been previously deleted but is still readable. And as a bonus, it's freeware and GNU open-source. Can't beat that.

I'm going to download that myself now, actually. :smile:

OfflineNashbar
just strange.... on drugs
Male User Gallery
Loc: strawberry field
Re: Erasing Computer History [Re: GulGen]
    #4605238 - 08/31/05 07:18 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I format/reinstall once a year or so... It probably doesn't do much since I just put the same stuff back on and resume my normal computer activities, but it's peace of mind...

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#4605627 - 08/31/05 08:31 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

well I,da have too ask what OS, are you using, are you sharing the pc with someone else, if your using XP, and your the only user, then maybe
wipe drive clean and reinstall, but I perfer too just lock mine down
with strong passwords, and use PGP, in mail, if I,m afraid of what i,m
saying.This site even uses PGP, in the PM mails if you chose too use it.
I use a program called http://research.sunbelt-software.com/ , for
spyware, and pc cleaning.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder