Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineJEDI
Stranger
putting religion and philosopy together
    #4585950 - 08/26/05 11:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

nobody does this because everybody feels "we just cant". its stupid to think that ABSOLUTELY NOBODY can put them together because they "just cant". well you know what, heres a good example of an idea that would involve the two together.

the theory of evolution vs. Adam and Eve.

they both contradict eachother right? well, why cant any human being on earth get the picture! its rediculous.

the apes that evolved into modern humans WERE Adam and Eve? HOW SIMPLE WAS THAT? haha.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
Re: putting religion and philosopy together [Re: JEDI]
    #4586192 - 08/27/05 12:43 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You can philosophise about religion. The most only difference of philosophy with theology is that in religion there is a god. In philosophy not nescessarily :wink: You also can theologically debate about some philosophies.
That's why buddhism is more called a philosophy instead of a religion.

Theology and science where once combined in ancient philosophy, then they splitted.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

Invisibleorechron
LIVEWRONG
 User Gallery

Loc: Fallout Zone
    #4586199 - 08/27/05 12:46 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

How profound.

Your thread isn't properly titled. I'm guessing you mean to say "putting religion and science together", which would make considerably more sense.

Excellent use of generalizations to make a mute point appear relevant.

The story of genesis and Adam and Eve are only contrary to scientific knowledge when taken literally. When taken as stories demonstrating the limited knowledge of humans during the time they were first brought into oral tradition they are reasonable enough explanations.

The Lenape Indians have the favorite creation myth that I've come across so far.

--------------------
Live by the foma that make you brave, and kind, and healthy, and happy.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4586200 - 08/27/05 12:47 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Who says science hasn't done it? Though not in the typical religious sense...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_eve
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-chromosomal_Adam

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisiblePsychoChipmunk
Small, Furry, Disturbed

Loc: A hole in your back yard
Re: putting religion and philosopy together [Re: Ravus]
    #4587639 - 08/27/05 02:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It seems like the former example is narrow in scope. I mean, when it boils down to it, what are religion and philosophy but sets of beliefs/ideals that govern how life could be lived?

Forgetting for a moment preconceived ideas about what society considers a religion and what it considers a philosophy, objectively what is the difference between the two?

From my PoV, the only thing that makes one thing a philosophy and another a religion is the strong involvement of the supernatural in one. Beliefs dealing with the afterlife, higher power, soul etc.

Going back to my original statement about philosophy dealing primarily with how one should go about their life, there is no reason a philosophy cannot include the supernatural within its bounds... but it is at this point that I feel that it becomes a religion.

Soooo, I guess what I'm saying is that all religions are philosophies... (yeah yeah, so not all philosophies are religions.)

I feel like I could have stated all this more coherently, but I think I got my gist across.

--------------------
\m/

OfflineSerioOria
?!one#!>?

Loc: upstate, SC
    #4589238 - 08/27/05 10:12 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

JEDI said:
nobody does this because everybody feels "we just cant". its stupid to think that ABSOLUTELY NOBODY can put them together because they "just cant". well you know what, heres a good example of an idea that would involve the two together.

the theory of evolution vs. Adam and Eve.

they both contradict eachother right? well, why cant any human being on earth get the picture! its rediculous.

the apes that evolved into modern humans WERE Adam and Eve? HOW SIMPLE WAS THAT? haha.

dude, because religion wasn't real, its more or less a picture of spirituality and the way the alter dimensions work, not the history of the world

to some extent yes, but mainly the spiritual books are to be used for spiritual reference, not as much historical

the bible more so, but they are still filled with exxagurated truths

--------------------
Live every day like it is your first
or
Live every day like it is your last
My ArT!!

Offlineaig
Stranger

Re: putting religion and philosopy together [Re: SerioOria]
    #4609611 - 09/01/05 05:57 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

if my understanding is correct buddhism is more of a philosophy that a religion. Or is it one and the same?

--------------------
The things you own end up owning you.

InvisibleFungusMan
I81U812
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Everywhere
Re: putting religion and philosopy together [Re: aig]
    #4610131 - 09/01/05 08:14 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The druids did a fantastic job of mending science, the arts, and philosophy into a religion. It is very possible. It is my way...

Offlinepsychomime
o_O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: putting religion and philosopy together [Re: aig]
    #4610245 - 09/01/05 08:47 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

depends on your definition of religion. buddhism does not have a "god" in the theist sense (as far as I know, although some blending of religions occurs and the may be branches of buddhism that do). that makes it more a philosophy. as a spiritual tradition it can be described as both or either.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale