Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery
when to take off foil for air exchange?
    #4583473 - 08/26/05 10:07 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Okay i have a jar of popcorn my other two got contam and this is my third try at growing the last two times was with a really big kit which is too much for being a begginer even though the instructions made it seem like a walk in the park.. but after reading in the forum i have learned alot more then the 2 page instructions that came with the kit... so i decided to try popcorn and its really easy except for the inconvience of temps fluxing the jar is colonizing good its starting to fill the gaps between the corn little by little and this is were my q comes in ... i have aluminum foil over the lid still and under the foil i have a 1/4 hole with polyfill in it ... since its been a couple weeks now and the mycelium has taken a good hold i think.. should i go ahead and remove the foil would this be slowing mycelium down or is it too soon still
?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: when to take off foil for air exchange? [Re: tony8404]
    #4583656 - 08/26/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

The foil should be removed immediately after sterilization. It's important for the polyfill or whatever filter you use to stay totally dry. The foil will allow moisture from your jar to get the polyfill wet. The polyfill needs to be exposed to normal airflow so it can stay dry.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: when to take off foil for air exchange? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4583692 - 08/26/05 11:20 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

oh god .. do you think im in trouble then since i have not removed the foil yet its been like 2 to 3 weeks...

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #4584023 - 08/26/05 01:13 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I disagree RR I find that foil helps keep moisture in the jars helping them from drying out. tony you do not need air exchange at this point but you do want gas exchange which the polyfil or foil won't affect. Moisture in the jar shouldn't affect the polyfil as it has a very poor wicking ability also. This has been my experience but I can see what your saying RR although the foil will not contam a jar unless someone introduces spore loads under that foil which would have to be done through fiddling around. :wink: GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisibletony8404
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: when to take off foil for air exchange? [Re: hyphae]
    #4584365 - 08/26/05 02:51 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

so when should i remove foil for air exchange then?

Invisibleyousuck
Stranger

#4584534 - 08/26/05 03:45 PM (18 years, 6 months ago)

it really doesnt matter when you remove it, since the foil isnt a perfect seal that would keep the polyfill from exchanging gas. If you want max gas exchange, remove it at 50%+ colonization so that you dont have to worry about contams leaking in from all the air flow.

whats really important is keeping the inside of your incubation chamber dry.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: when to take off foil for air exchange? [Re: yousuck]
    #4586936 - 08/27/05 09:37 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't bother taking off the foil until full colonization, just leave it and don't worry it will be fine as far as gas exchange is concerned. Really! :wink:

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblemskip23
Can It All Be So Simple!
 User Gallery

Loc: Philly
Re: when to take off foil for air exchange? [Re: hyphae]
    #4586940 - 08/27/05 09:40 AM (18 years, 6 months ago)

Foil dosent form an air tight seal so you should be getting some air exchange anyway

--------------------
url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/05-26/988356075-Picture-278.gif][/url

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract