Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Current PC Game requirements?
    #4574634 - 08/24/05 11:47 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Okay. So I just got a blindingly fast internet connection installed in my house, but I need to buy a new computer. I'm totally bad w/ the whole technology thing, but I want to know what specs I should look for in a PC.

It'll be mostly for playing games. But I dont need it like, top of the line. Just something reasonable that can play the current generation of games that are out. And burn music too.

Also, what do you guys think of dell? Are they nice comps? Keep in mind, I'm not building my own, or anything like that. Just want to buy something in a box.

Thanks.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBlank_Generation
WayfarinStranger

Loc: Illinois
Re: Current PC Game requirements? [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #4574737 - 08/24/05 12:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Dell's are ok and many people rave about their support. Plus it's good to have coverage for at least a year in case anything goes bad. You could get an XPS which they recommend for gaming but I think they are overpriced. After taking a trip over to Dell I found the
Dimension 5100 from 799$. Take that and customize it,upgrade the video card to the X600 and maybe more ram and your fine. You would save money building one yourself or having someone do it for you, but it does have some disadvantages.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#4575890 - 08/24/05 06:03 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

get a 64bit cpu, a motherboard with SATA, and good ram. that way you will be able to upgrade in the future pretty easily. if you want the specs on a good computer, drop me a line. i build and repair computers for a living. if i cant get the best price on a system you want, i can definitely send you to the people that have the best prices. please, pretty please, with sugar on top.... dont get a dell. most smaller computer companies have better prices and if you have a problem with ur box, you can usually call the people that put it together for you.

more than half the business i get is from people that just want their computers fixed. they have tried to talk to dell, hp, compaq, etc, but have been getting the run around or have spoken to someone in india they couldnt understand.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4576485 - 08/24/05 08:36 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think you should build a custom PC. It's usually cheaper buying all the parts yourself.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleThin White Duke
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4576729 - 08/24/05 09:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm after a PC like you want, and I've decided to build my own. Can get the seperate parts very cheap off the internet.

OfflineManicDelirium
MysteriousMycologist TechDeviant

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flawda
Re: Current PC Game requirements? [Re: barfightlard]
    #4576734 - 08/24/05 09:25 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yes build one ...Much more fun and cheaper !

I'm getting parts together to build my next super gaming comp...It's gonna have the new AMD X2 4800 with 2G's of Corsair RAM and a 10,000 RPM 70 gig drive.  I'm also adding a Koolance liquid cooler to the thing.  It's gonna fly after I overclock it.  :afro:

--------------------
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" --long live the great Gonzo

InvisibleMarioNett
Stranger
Re: Current PC Game requirements? [Re: ManicDelirium]
    #4576915 - 08/24/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Watch out for mainstream brand PCs if you're a gamer. They sometimes do cheap corner-cutting stuff like integrated graphics instead of a real graphics card. If the specs say "shared video ram", that means NO video ram; it's just using system ram for video. As big name brands go, Falcon Northwest is a good one that won't screw you with cheap parts, but they're expensive. Local shops, like automan said, might be the best bet.

Check out buyers' guides such as this one. That's really meant for people building their own, but you can use it as a standard to compare to when you're shopping. And if you do decide to build your own, you'll have plenty of support from us in the forum.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: Current PC Game requirements? [Re: MarioNett]
    #4578755 - 08/25/05 12:17 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Honestly, I wouldnt even try building my own.  I just had to put together a futon from Wal-Mart this week, and it took me 4 long days and like, 5 trips to the hardware store.

I would end up breaking many components and in the end it would have been half the cost to buy one from the store.  :smile:

And really, the reason I was going w/ dell or some big company is that I need financing.  I really cant swing the 1000 or whatever all at once, but I can make 25$ payments pretty easily.  So thats where I'm at.  :crazy:

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

Edited by Madtowntripper (08/25/05 12:19 PM)

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Current PC Game requirements? [Re: ManicDelirium]
    #4581625 - 08/25/05 09:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ManicDelirium said:
Yes build one ...Much more fun and cheaper !

I'm getting parts together to build my next super gaming comp...It's gonna have the new AMD X2 4800 with 2G's of Corsair RAM and a 10,000 RPM 70 gig drive.  I'm also adding a Koolance liquid cooler to the thing.  It's gonna fly after I overclock it.  :afro:

Get a 7800GT and your ready too go!

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder