Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblebudsicle
s?igh?tsee?r

dropping out
    #4530472 - 08/13/05 02:40 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

so, todays subject is dropping out of the modern society.. i was wonderin if any1 here done or planning to do it?

after numerous of years of exploring and pondering i?ve reached the conclusion that i cant live healthy and fully in middle of "concrete jungle" with corporations and governments sucking life outta me and with all the confusion and screwed up values. so ive arranged it so that i?ve got smallish island with small cottage in it ready waiting for me.. all ive gotta do is work for couple years and save cash and after that i?ll be able to move in there for good. theres no running water or electricity so ofcourse it?ll be harsh at first but atleast its a challenge and i can be truely independent.. food and water will come mostly straight outta land but i?m prolly gonna pick up some job from nearby village where i can work little every 3rd week or so to get small savings so that i can travel and such. i?ll still be functioning with urban world, traveling, experiencing new places and such alot from my "country base" and i figure i?ll be able to do it more fully from there, not being wage slave anymore..

right now im thinking of some luxuries that im leaving behind.. but the city environment and "vibe" is just too hostile and unnatural for me to bear as it is now.. :frown:

u guys got any thought on this?

Edited by budsicle (08/13/05 02:42 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: dropping out [Re: budsicle]
    #4530497 - 08/13/05 02:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

In my youth (70s) it was the dream. I did spend some time on a commune, (to much interpersonal anguish) I did some time alone in the desert after some survival training (beautiful but too lonely in the long run). Now again as I am older I long for the peace an simplicity that you talk of. If I had some opportunity like you speak of, I would go for it. You can always come back, and even if it doesn't work in the long run, you will not regret it.

A fucking island? I'm really envious.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
    #4530516 - 08/13/05 02:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

budsicle said:
so, todays subject is dropping out of the modern society.. i was wonderin if any1 here done or planning to do it?

after numerous of years of exploring and pondering i?ve reached the conclusion that i cant live healthy and fully in middle of "concrete jungle" with corporations and governments sucking life outta me and with all the confusion and screwed up values. so ive arranged it so that i?ve got smallish island with small cottage in it ready waiting for me.. all ive gotta do is work for couple years and save cash and after that i?ll be able to move in there for good. theres no running water or electricity so ofcourse it?ll be harsh at first but atleast its a challenge and i can be truely independent.. food and water will come mostly straight outta land but i?m prolly gonna pick up some job from nearby village where i can work little every 3rd week or so to get small savings so that i can travel and such. i?ll still be functioning with urban world, traveling, experiencing new places and such alot from my "country base" and i figure i?ll be able to do it more fully from there, not being wage slave anymore..

right now im thinking of some luxuries that im leaving behind.. but the city environment and "vibe" is just too hostile and unnatural for me to bear as it is now.. :frown:

u guys got any thought on this?

It seems this is not a complete drop out.
There are places in my country (Croatia) , like some willages in the  mountains where people live like they always used to (even 100 years ago) hearding sheep, making real (real!) cheese and going down to civilisation to sell it. No watter, no toilet paper, no TV, no satelite, no internet, nothing. But they are still a part of society in a way, it's just on a lower/simpler level than the rest of us.

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4530520 - 08/13/05 02:58 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

And why don't you move to suburbs instead or to a smaller city.

--------------------

Invisiblebudsicle
s?igh?tsee?r

Re: dropping out [Re: Icelander]
    #4530524 - 08/13/05 03:02 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

thanx man :smile: yea its a beautiful place.. theres a tiny-ass village bout 8km away but other than that its total wilderness. im gonna install bunch of hammocks plus a huge fireplace and just chill out with some cool people i might invite there every now n then..

i also spent almost whole this summer in the wilderness, some time camping alone in complete solitude and some time traveling around the country with different folk and it seems that all the paths available in modern world of wage slavery and full time work are all dead ends to me .. if i stay here i?ll very likely just end up abusing shitloads of drugs and fade away.. the simplicity and solitude will be much welcomed indeed ?cause of all the addictions and trouble ive gotten myself into in past..

Invisiblebudsicle
s?igh?tsee?r

#4530531 - 08/13/05 03:04 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

OldWoodSpecter: ive lived in the suburbs as well as in central or larger city, in suburbs exists all the same struggle, confusion and abusive lifestyles of large city but just in smaller scale.. in small town its even worse ?cause there every1 knows each others better. atleast in large city u can screw up anonumously without whole damn place knowing and talking about it

edit: and my point is to drop out from competitive government/corporation controlled society and wage slaver all together, so moving to suburbs isnt really answer for me though i?ve considered it aswell

Edited by budsicle (08/13/05 03:06 PM)

Invisiblebudsicle
s?igh?tsee?r

Re: dropping out [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4530540 - 08/13/05 03:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
There are places in my country (Croatia) , like some willages in the mountains where people live like they always used to (even 100 years ago) hearding sheep, making real (real!) cheese and going down to civilisation to sell it. No watter, no toilet paper, no TV, no satelite, no internet, nothing. But they are still a part of society in a way, it's just on a lower/simpler level than the rest of us.

ofcourse you are part of a society "in a way" as long as you exist in earth, u could take that as far as to say that im not complete drop out before unless i kill myself..

but this way i won?t be slave to corporations/media/governments that much anymore, and far away from it all it is easier to completely drop out from modern nature abusive mindset alltogether

edit: sorry for crowding the forum with many posts but i didnt notice all of these at first look!

Edited by budsicle (08/13/05 03:11 PM)

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4530563 - 08/13/05 03:19 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I didn't mean a town that small, for example, I live in a town with about 100000-200000 people, and far from the center, it's pretty pleasant.

--------------------

Offlinebubbles
OverLord

Loc: London
    #4530565 - 08/13/05 03:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

dude thats just not fair. what kind of climate? i would like somewhere warmish. mabey a touch of snow in the winter. here in the uk the weather sucks. shit all sun and it snows about 1 day every couple of years.

would you hunt? im a vegetarian but thats only cause the meat comes dead and packaged, if i could hunt and forage i think i would.

--------------------
"the modeling chalenge for the future is human history. we will no longer be playing games, we will be proposing actual models and methods to begin to shape the world" Terence McKenna

"Yes, but no sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall KILL you" stewie griffin

OfflineLittleBen
Feed Me A StrayCat

#4530566 - 08/13/05 03:20 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Im definitely out of here as soon as I have the means. I wasnt meant for city life. If you need a farm hand on that island let me know.

--------------------
Gaia, as you awaken, I heal myself. As I awaken, you are healed.

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4530568 - 08/13/05 03:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

budsicle said:
Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
There are places in my country (Croatia) , like some willages in the mountains where people live like they always used to (even 100 years ago) hearding sheep, making real (real!) cheese and going down to civilisation to sell it. No watter, no toilet paper, no TV, no satelite, no internet, nothing. But they are still a part of society in a way, it's just on a lower/simpler level than the rest of us.

ofcourse you are part of a society "in a way" as long as you exist in earth, u could take that as far as to say that im not complete drop out before unless i kill myself..

but this way i won?t be slave to corporations/media/governments that much anymore, and far away from it all it is easier to completely drop out from modern nature abusive mindset alltogether

edit: sorry for crowding the forum with many posts but i didnt notice all of these at first look!

You don't have to be a slave to it, all you really need to do is free your mind from it. Going away to wilderness is just a symbol, it does not give you freedom, it is you who give your mind freedom, the act of droping out is a ritual of some sort.

--------------------

Offlinebubbles
OverLord

Loc: London
Re: dropping out [Re: LittleBen]
    #4530577 - 08/13/05 03:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

LittleBen said:
If you need a farm hand on that island let me know.

Amen to that  :grin:

--------------------
"the modeling chalenge for the future is human history. we will no longer be playing games, we will be proposing actual models and methods to begin to shape the world" Terence McKenna

"Yes, but no sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall KILL you" stewie griffin

OfflineLittleBen
Feed Me A StrayCat

#4530579 - 08/13/05 03:25 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OldWoodSpecter said:
You don't have to be a slave to it, all you really need to do is free your mind from it. Going away to wilderness is just a symbol, it does not give you freedom, it is you who give your mind freedom, the act of droping out is a ritual of some sort.

Going into the wilderness isnt just a symbol. Its a change in lifestyle. My lifestyle in modern society doesnt suit me, so Im leaving it.

--------------------
Gaia, as you awaken, I heal myself. As I awaken, you are healed.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4530583 - 08/13/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Still, it's nice to be able to see the night sky and stars in all their splender. To breath clean air. Have no sounds at night besides the the ones nature makes free of man. To wake to the sounds of birds and work for your living on the land, and produce something connected to your personal life. This works well for some people. For a year or a lifetime.

--------------------

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4530590 - 08/13/05 03:30 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

How did you live in the wild Icelander? What did you eat? Did you just drink the water or did you have to filter or boil it first?

I've thought of doing this for a couple months or years before sometime in my life, and am wondering how exactly you did it.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Invisiblebudsicle
s?igh?tsee?r

#4530597 - 08/13/05 03:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"You don't have to be a slave to it, all you really need to do is free your mind from it"
that is true, but same time talking of allkinda freedom of mind while living under corporate slavery is such a hypocrite way and source of anxiety for me, and when ive physichally dropped out aswell i have my very own non-corrupted grounds from where to properly function with world..

bubbles:
hey man, the climate is quite cold, varying from +30c @ summer to -30c @ winters but its ok cause ive lived my life this far in this environment and am home with it. dunno about hunting.. i will definitely fish though and perhaps even learn hunting skills.. who knows.

icelander; yeah, the psy-trance im listening now is beautiful as well as the pictures i see from my computer screen.. but they dont compare to all kinda songs and visions that authentic nature has to offer

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4530608 - 08/13/05 03:39 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I would miss music unless I played an instrument. Try and take a music source with you. City music plays well in nature. :thumbup: :heart:

--------------------

Invisiblebudsicle
s?igh?tsee?r

#4530624 - 08/13/05 03:44 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

^^ i know, just realized it today that ive gotta try to take battery powered headhpones or such with me.. and ive got acoustic guitar too so its cool

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #4530942 - 08/13/05 06:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It is not easy to drop out of modern life. Our society is based on interdependance to exist and advance. If one disagrees with the consensus it is much easier to try to modify the consensus than drop out of society. Maintaining a degree of independance, though, is a virtue.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: dropping out [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4531057 - 08/13/05 07:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Watch 'Brazil' if you haven't seen it.

Figuratively, the escape into wilderness is an expression of feeling trapped and controlled.

This itself though is self generated, in a sense, a form of outward blame for an inner problem.

You are in complete control, no matter where you are. Work on freeing yourself internally from the structures instilled on you from society, find a job that you enjoy and feel has a positive effect on a global level (for instance - I'm working towards my environmental engineering diploma, something that I feel I can justify spending the amount of time a job consumes at).

Now if you feel the city or wherever is inhibiting your outward sense of privacy, move to the country. Build a ranch. Write books, entertain similar minded guests. Spend days outdoors in your large plot of vacant land... whatever.

But this allows you the opportunity to transform society, away from the ideals you find so disgusting. Don't abandon the dream, but help others realize it as well.

(just food for though, afterall, I used to hold the exact same 'move to an island' dream :smile:)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order