Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemoxjet20
Loc: santa cruz, magical land ...
case now?
    #452289 - 11/08/01 09:43 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

my friend innoc'd 12 half pint brf jars almost week ago. they are now around 20 - 40 % colonized. problem is, he doesn't really need that many, he has only a small 10 gal aquarium. see, he figured at least some wouldn't work/ would get contaminated, but so far every single one is goin ok. to complicate matters, he'd really like (even though he doubts there is a chance in hell he can manage) to harvest a few at least before the 24th.. and he'd REALLY like to get some before the 7th of next month. anyways, on to the question..

can he try, since he has so many jars anyways, to make a casing with a couple *now*, even though they would only be around half colonized? what would the odds of it be actually not getting contaminated? i guess i should mention that about as sterile as he can get it is a warm oven tek. would that speed things up at all?

would it be worth it to just munch a couple extra cakes if he cannot get mushrooms by when he would like? how much should he take? i assume he could do as usual and make tea out of it and strain?

in your guys' experience, how many cakes/casings can you fit into a 10 gal terrarium? which is more space efficient, large casings i would assume?

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: case now? [Re: moxjet20]
    #452309 - 11/08/01 10:00 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

if you case now then all that uncolonized substrate will be prone to contamination. You might be able to get away with it, but i doubt it. You can probably do around 8 jars worth cased in a 10 gal terrarium. don't eat the cakes, just be patient.

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Offlinerooster
journeyman
Re: case now? [Re: Eightball]
    #452548 - 11/09/01 04:23 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

i've never tried this, but i don't see why you couldn't case the colonized part of a few cakes. just don't case the uncolonized substrate. if you really can't wait (and i would say wait, you'd never believe how many mushrooms come from two full jars in a good casing!)

OfflineCaseXX

Re: case now? [Re: rooster]
    #452603 - 11/09/01 07:14 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I rushed my casings, I cased some jars that were not fully colonized. I did remove the un-colonized portions of the cakes, however I still suffered a loss of 3 cases. Oh well it is all about learning.
CaseXX

--------------------
CaseXX
"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" AC/DC

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #452684 - 11/09/01 09:50 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

my first casing was done that way; casing only portions of colonized jars in a dishwashing tub thing. i crumbled the myc chunks and mixed with fresh substrate of straw and birdseed (cakes were BRF) and covered it with tinfoil. this casing i believe had a lot of potential as it was colonized and had overlay in about 7 days; but i was keeping it at a friends house and it never fruited due to many wrong environmental conditions. however it did last about 2 months before the mycellium structure died and i never got any contams in it until the very end when i got some stuck up bastard fruit fly in there and proceeded to lay his shit all over and make about a hundred more of his worthless asses present in my project.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Offlinemoxjet20
Loc: santa cruz, magical land ...
Re: case now? [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #452742 - 11/09/01 10:59 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

haha thanks for all the advice.. there i thought no one would actually have tried that and plenty people had.. i think my friend is gonna go ahead and give it a try with a few of the extra jars since they are expendable anyways

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace
    #452793 - 11/09/01 11:34 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hehehe some times if i get impatient ill make a small casing with 2 half colonized jars just to get some fun guys a week earlier.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains