Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFreedomFight
Strange

Can your glovebox be too sterile
    #4485120 - 08/02/05 11:49 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I saw my friend inoculate his last quart jars and he has a (basically) airtight glovebox. What he does is mist the glovebox with a ton of sprays from a reptile mister bottle (its a squirt bottle that creates a fine mist) full of 70% isopropyl alcohol. Then he puts in everything he is going to work with, waits 5 minutes or so and gets to work. It seems like a good way to make sure no spores are alive floating around in there. He flames the needle and wraps it in a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol, then uses it. He usually forgets to shake the syringe, but oh well.

So now in his TiT there is 4 quart jars of WBS and no growth after 6 days (2cc of multispore in each). No smells or anything. Temps in the incubator range from 80 to 84 depending on midnight vs noon sorta thing. The only thing we can think of is that he went a little overboard on the rubbing alcohol but it just doesn't make sense how misting some rubbing alcohol in the golvebox could penetrate into the jar...

--------------------
I do not grow anything illegal.
I do not sell anything.
I am, however, a very curious individual.
I also try to be helpful.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Can your glovebox be too sterile [Re: FreedomFight]
    #4485132 - 08/02/05 11:54 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

No alcohol in a misting bottle. Soap and water are fine to clean out a gloove box. I'm surprised you didn't get hurt flaming a needle in a tight box with alcohol fumes lingering. Be careful. It's happened several times. Soap and water is all ya need.

Now for the jars. I'd be shocked if the spores germinate. The fumes alone are enough to kill them. Give them another few days and if there's still no germination, there never will be. Sorry.......

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4485143 - 08/02/05 11:58 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It doesnt make sense because it didnt happen :smile: You cant be to sterile and a sterile glovebox will never poorly effect jars...

You could have the water content off, causing germination to be slower, or the spores could be older or slower and just still havnt germinated yet. I've waited up to 2 weeks to see growth on jars. THe jars may have also been to hot when you shot them up but I'm guessing you let them cool enough. Not shaking the syringe could also slow down germination time. Just be patient, maybe try shaking 2 jars or so, see if they start up quicker.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMindzpore
Psychedelicious
 User Gallery

Loc: Reject the concept of loc...
Re: Can your glovebox be too sterile [Re: Hotnuts]
    #4485164 - 08/02/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

the thing with alcohol is that as it evaporates, you never want the fumes in a enclosed space (like a glovebox). a spark and it might explode...

thats why i ususally spray with h2o2-water(5-10%), and i do that after i put the stuff in there. syringes, needles and such things already sterilized and in foil evelopes.

--------------------
Mindzpores words of wisdom:
"If you think something is foolproof, you just haven't met proper fools".

Wiccan_Seeker said:
"It is better to adjust to become a better listener than to keep on cranking up the volume".

Edited by Mindzpore (08/02/05 12:12 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Can your glovebox be too sterile [Re: Mindzpore]
    #4485215 - 08/02/05 12:17 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I use alcohol in a spray bottle all the time. I dont spark anything though...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4485376 - 08/02/05 12:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

He flames the needle and wraps it in a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol, then uses it.

You don't need to flame the needle...especially in the glove box.

I never flame a needle...I just wipe them with a cotton ball with alcohol.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleFreedomFight
Strange

Re: Can your glovebox be too sterile [Re: Roadkill]
    #4485590 - 08/02/05 01:46 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks everyone. He shook two of the jars and I guess we will just wait to see what happens.

--------------------
I do not grow anything illegal.
I do not sell anything.
I am, however, a very curious individual.
I also try to be helpful.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract