Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Pataki Plans to Veto Morning After Pill in NY
    #4481833 - 08/01/05 05:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm getting increasingly fed up with this state.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164333,00.html

I know this is probably the 3rd or 4th thread I've posted on this issue, but I feel very strongly about it. Women having ready access to the 'morning-after' pill would solve many problems in this country. The biggest, ironically, would be abortion. IMO, the majority of abortions in this country could be stopped if women had the opportunity to prevent pregnancy after they've had unprotected sex... And so why will politicians routinely fight against this pill? To pander to people who are too lazy/stupid to look up the science.

Obviously just a ploy for Pataki to bolster his conservative resume for 08. If he vetoes the bill, he'll lose any consideration I might have given him.

:hissyfit:

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Pataki Plans to Veto Morning After Pill in NY [Re: Gijith]
    #4482064 - 08/01/05 05:54 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

the link did not work for me.

when you say "ready access" do you mean no prescription??

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Pataki Plans to Veto Morning After Pill in NY [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4482083 - 08/01/05 05:59 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Pataki's exception, which I heard on the radio, seemed to have to do with underage females' access. Your link no work.

--------------------

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4482112 - 08/01/05 06:06 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

here you go people.

Quote:

ALBANY, N.Y. ? Gov. George Pataki, eyeing a run for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination, will veto legislation that would have allowed pharmacists to provide, without prescriptions, conception-preventing, "morning-after pills" to women, an aide said Sunday.

"This bill, which hasn't even been sent to the governor yet, is a flawed, politically expedient measure that fails to include any common-sense protections for minors and ignores the fact that the FDA will rule on this issue in just a few weeks," said Pataki spokesman Kevin Quinn.

"Consistent with his record on women's reproductive issues, the governor plans to veto the legislation primarily because it provides no protection whatsoever for minors," Quinn added. "If this and other flaws in the bill are addressed, and a responsible version of the bill is advanced, the governor would support it."

Similar legislation was vetoed last week by Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who is also eyeing the 2008 GOP presidential nomination.

Supporters of the New York legislation had feared Pataki, seeking to appeal to conservatives who tend to dominate the GOP presidential nominating process, would veto the measure.

In fact, word of Pataki's veto plan came after aides learned the New York chapter of the National Abortion Rights Action League was preparing to begin a television advertising campaign in New York, Iowa and New Hampshire stressing his past support for reproductive rights and urging the governor not to veto the measure.

Iowa and New Hampshire are the traditional sites of the first presidential nominating contests, and Pataki announced just last week that he would not seek re-election to a fourth term next year, a move widely seen as a prelude to a possible run for national office.

"It's unfortunate that as he looks to run for president he would toss away his principled legacy for sheer political expediency," said Kelli Conlin, executive director of NARAL Pro-Choice New York, after being told of the governor's veto plans. "It's obviously a flip-flop on his part."

Conlin said the ad campaign would continue "because we feel public pressure is the only vehicle we have at this point."

The 30-second television spots, featuring the presidential "Hail to the Chief" anthem as background music, opens with a female narrator saying "New York's Gov. George Pataki is thinking of running for president. Some believe he must appeal to right-wing conservatives to win the primary."

"As governor, he has always supported reproductive choice," the narrator continues. "So, as he considers the Oval Office, he may want to consider something else: Americans value principles over politics. Do the right thing, governor. America is watching."

Republican strategists have said Pataki's biggest hurdle if he seeks national office will likely be his past support, as governor, for abortion and gay rights as well as strict gun-control legislation.

Pataki, who until Sunday had not tipped his hand on how he would act on the bill, has been under pressure from abortion rights supporters to approve the legislation while anti-abortion groups, including New York's Roman Catholic bishops and the Pataki-allied state Conservative Party, have been just as vocal in their opposition.

"To allow a teenager to purchase the morning-after pill in the same manner as she would purchase cough drops or bubble gum is the biggest injustice one can do to our daughters and granddaughters," state Conservative Party Chairman Michael Long had written in a June 24 letter to the governor. "Governor Pataki, please protect our daughters with your veto pen."

The morning-after pill legislation has yet to be sent to the governor for his consideration by the Democratic-controlled state Assembly where it originated and was approved earlier this year. The measure was approved by the Republican-led state Senate on June 22 in a move that caught many opponents by surprise.

John McArdle, a spokesman for state Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno, said Sunday night that Pataki's fellow Republican would have no immediate comment on the governor's planned veto.

"We just felt you shouldn't start a presidential campaign with a flip-flop," said NARAL's Conlin in outlining plans for the ad campaign.

Conlin said the group would spend $50,000 to run the ad this week in New York City, its suburbs and in Albany, and another $15,000 for "a small buy in New Hampshire and Iowa."

The NARAL official said that while the ad may "mobilize people on both sides, ... I think the vast majority of Republican and Democratic voters want to see someone who's consistent and not just putting their finger in the wind, politically, when difficult issues face them."

"This is the governor's first opportunity since he announced he wasn't running [for re-election] to show that," Conlin said.

"I don't deny that in Republican primaries, it helps you to be to the right, but I don't think it helps you to begin now to try to move to the right," the NARAL official said. "Pandering would be a bad thing."

I think it would be a good idea for this pill to be availble to underage women. Even though it may encourage promiscuity it would help avoid unecessary abortions and unplanned teen pregnancies.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

#4482232 - 08/01/05 06:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry about the link... Thanks to moog for supplying info.

And yeah, the bill has to do with availability without prescription, which I think is often necessary for some women, considering the pill works best in the first 36 hours.

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #4482381 - 08/01/05 07:03 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I am all for some 11 year old having access to a morning after pill, (even free!!!!) and not having an abortion.

but i do not know much about the pills.

my first question. are they safe??

what if the 11 year old did not go to Walmart/Walgreen's the morning after... she went a few days later thinking she could take a few extra.

would it harm her???

could she sue walmart??? (if it harmed her??)

I am wondering if this is realistic or just politics.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #4482499 - 08/01/05 07:30 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

"To allow a teenager to purchase the morning-after pill in the same manner as she would purchase cough drops or bubble gum is the biggest injustice one can do to our daughters and granddaughters," state Conservative Party Chairman Michael Long had written in a June 24 letter to the governor. "Governor Pataki, please protect our daughters with your veto pen."

I want this guy to look a 15 year old girl that just got raped by her father in the eyes, and tell her that keeping the morning after pill away from her is for her 'protection'.

:rolleyes:

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

#4482503 - 08/01/05 07:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

As far as I know, the legislation is to allow pharmacists to sell the pill. And so it wouldn't be available in the same way something like Aspirin is. And I'm sure that unless it's approved by the United Council of Conservative Baptist Ministers, Walmart won't be carrying it.

The pill is effectively harmless if used properly. Literally, it's just a high dose of progesterone. It's essentially no different than taking 4 or 5 birth control pills over a 12 hour period. I had a friend who took it. She felt nauseous for a while and said she felt like throwing up, but never did. As far as I've read, side effects don't go beyond that.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #4483261 - 08/01/05 10:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i feel that it should available to women under the age of 18 BUT unless youre 18 i think you should have to have your parents with you while you buy it, then kids wouldnt feel so safe and secure in knowing that they have a pill to fix their little "whoops" that they more than likely would do again if it werent so easy to get, by having the parents have to purchase it with them would make alot of young girls think twice before risking it. now adults are a different story, they should be able to get it no problem.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #4483271 - 08/01/05 10:31 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

you CANNOT find something more reasonable, helpful and
less intrusive than this.

an OTC medication like this would solve so many problems.

I just can't believe ANYONE is against this.

To not agree with this is tantamount to wanting to criminalize
masturbation....we're talking about sperm that has yet to
or just recently joined with the egg....this is the most humane
point to cancel the order.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: Pataki Plans to Veto Morning After Pill in NY [Re: afoaf]
    #4483302 - 08/01/05 10:37 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

hell if thats the case then my girlfriend is a mass murderer just about every night haha. i dont even feel that its murder until the damn baby has popped out of the womb. what about the countless baby chickens that have yet to be born that end up as omlets, hard boiled eggs and protein shakes for weightlifters??? then by the same sense thats all murder too.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Pataki Plans to Veto Morning After Pill in NY [Re: Anisotropic]
    #4483338 - 08/01/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'd rather some chick take a pill than have the rest of us support a child for the next 18 years through welfare.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Pataki Plans to Veto Morning After Pill in NY [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4483425 - 08/01/05 10:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

no shit!

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom