Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
speakers
    #4478574 - 07/31/05 08:40 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

What's your pick for the best pair of audio speakers under $300? i need a setup in a spare room, but I want quality sound. I quit looking around when I bought my Bose many years ago. What's great now?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblephalloidin

Re: speakers [Re: Icelander]
    #4479145 - 07/31/05 11:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'm rather partial to the logitech Z-680s. They should be right in your price range.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4480084 - 08/01/05 04:57 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Speakers for a computer system or speakers for a sound system? I have not been impressed with the sound from any logitech speaker that I have heard. I have not heard the Z-680's, but cannot imagine that they are any better than the other logitech speakers that I have heard. The bass on all logitech speakers that I have heard is both mushy (lacking response) and bleeds noise.

For basic stereo speakers (2.1 channel) for a computer, the absolute best that I have ever heard are the Harmon Kardon StoundSticks II. http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?cat=MME&prod=SOUNDSTICKSII&sType=S. They connect through USB and use a digital signal from the computer rather than the typical analog connection. (There are many speakers I haven't heard, so there may be better out there... but these do sound very good!)

If you are in the market for speakers for home audio, then let me know how many channels, what input wattage, the size of the room, and what type of audio/music you are going to playing.

Finally, don't forget to budget for good speaker wire. The crap they used to sell at radio shack is not what you want. You can literally hear the differance between good speaker cable and crappy speaker cable. I always laugh when I see a $1000 pair of speakers connected to the amplifier with five cent a foot cable.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: speakers [Re: Seuss]
    #4480379 - 08/01/05 09:07 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

OK a smallish livingroom size. 100 watts RMS per channel. 2 channels, Mostly rock  and trance music. But I do listen to just about everything. I do use  the best speaker wire I can buy. :grin:

--------------------

Edited by Icelander (08/01/05 09:10 AM)

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #4480477 - 08/01/05 10:24 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Fluance AV-F3 are very nice around $150 - $250 per pair. http://www.fluance.com/fldycothhisp.html The only thing I don't like about these speakers is the bass tends to drop off on the extremly low frequencies. With a small room, you won't be able to fix this problem. A dedicated sub would help, but the low frequency sound waves aren't going to be able to completely form anyway... These speakers really do sound like $2000 a pair speakers, except for the very low frequencies.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4481540 - 08/01/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, I will definately check them out. Just for comparison ( so I know where your comming from. How do you describe the Bose sound.?Let's take something in the same price range.

--------------------

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

#4481631 - 08/01/05 04:13 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I always thought Bose was highly overrated.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4481723 - 08/01/05 04:33 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

These speakers should blow away any others.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1030478&CatId=0

prices are in canadian

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: speakers [Re: barfightlard]
    #4481869 - 08/01/05 05:15 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I've got a full bose setup: 301's as fronts, the VCS-10 center,the double cubes as my rears and a 300W 15" cerwin vega sub.

I too, read that bose is overrated, however I have little comparison as speakers seem to change their sound once you get them home and get them into a specific room. In any event, I was dissapointed when reading all the poor bose reviews (as this was after I bought all my equipment) but at the time they were a decent choice.

Consider your listening area/room. Since I bought my bose setup my sophmore year of college I've moved the entire setup 6-7 times. After considering that; I was glad I got the compact bose speakers. Also, since I was in college I had less than ideal listening areas, read: small rooms, which was another bonus for having the smaller speakers.

I guess my point is to consider the intangibles. While I wouldn't buy bose again since my living room is about 16'X 17' and I'd prefer a larger more permanent setup; at the time the bose suited my needs (since I moved the equipment so often). Other than that my personal opinion is to:

1. Set a price
2. Read reviews to narrow down several choices
3. go to the stored to listen
4. buy

Also, plan your purchases if you're buying the system in pieces. I believe that if you're planning a home theatre setup you'll want to match the fronts and the center channel. If money is an issue start with the fronts and go from there. $0.02

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: speakers [Re: freddurgan]
    #4482154 - 08/01/05 06:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

freddurgan said:
I always thought Bose was highly overrated.

Do better than that and tell me why?

--------------------

Invisiblegema
Freedom from the Known

Loc: t(here)
    #4482936 - 08/01/05 09:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i got 2 M-audio studiophile bx5 75watt studio monitors and am very impressed. i also got them connected as satellites to my m-audio sbx 120watt subwoofer. only 1 left at $269 + free shipping!

http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?form=prodsearch&q=bx5

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #4484339 - 08/02/05 04:39 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

> How do you describe the Bose sound

I'm not a big fan of Bose. Kind of like Intel... you pay a lot for the name. Kind of like Microsoft... they love to sue and push their weight around. Bose has been known to sue over bad reviews of their product, thus you don't see bad reviews of their product. My hardcore audiophile friends claim Bose stands for "Buy other sound equipment".

As far as sound quality, I would have to describe a specific pair of speakers. I haven't listened on Bose in a long time, so this is difficult. Bose usually has good resonant bass, and a decently balanced high end, but the response is far from linear. In general, the sound isn't too bad (to an untrained ear), but dollar for dollar, you can do much better with a different manufacturer. I would describe most Bose speakers as $2000 speakers that sound like $200 speakers.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4484528 - 08/02/05 07:35 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Being far from an expert and my audiophile days ended back in the 70s. I really can't compare Bose to what's out there today. Although I have heard Polk speakers in the price range that are better than Bose IMO.  I have a pair of Bose 101s. They were 100$ a piece. I have had them for 10 years. I have consistently enjoyed the sound with out fatigue after marathon listening sessions and for all these years. I still love their sound. Buck for buck the best speaker buy I ever made.

I am sure that there have been tremendous improvement in all these years and can't imagine Bose at the top of the pile anymore. That's why I'm looking around.  I thought your review of Bose was balanced and most likely accurate. Now I will go and check out your recommendations.Thanks. :grin: :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#4485856 - 08/02/05 02:53 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I'll tell you a couple things about Bose that seem to indicate that there may be some truth to the rumors followed by my personal experience with bose.

1. Bose doesn't seem to adhere to industry standards. I took a peek at circuit city, and some of their spekers seem to be missing some "specs" (e.g. frequency response is missing). I believe Bose's claim is that their speakers somehow perform much differently then competitors therefore they are uncomparable. Seems to me however, a sound wave is a soundwave, is a soundwave etc. which brings me to my next point.

I'm not entirely certain on point #2 so if I'm wrong I'm sure i'll be corrected..

2. The basic laws of physics dictate the the "bass" of a soundwave is proportional to the amplitude of the soundwave. E.g. a larger amplitude = more bass. Thats why subwoofers have larger bass cones. With this being said, it doesn't matter how much "technology" you put into a speaker, you will never get "big bass" from a small tweeter because the tweeter cannot physically create a soundwave of sufficient amplitude.

As I said in an earlier post in this thread I have a complete Bose system. For me and my travels throughout college (moving 6-7 times) the small and compact size served my needs.

Now here's the thing: most of my friends own "shelf systems" which are bought at walmart etc. In comparison to any non-component (e.g. "shelf-all-in-one") system, my Bose system sounds amazing. Also, many people haven't heard a movie played in complete 5.1 digital sound. To these "non-audiophiles" (myself included) the bose system sounds amazing.

For the price however, I would be more than willing to try a different brand. I guess the bottom line is that in my opinion, my bose system sounds pretty darn awesome, but their products are a bit "gimmicky" and have a limited spectrum of effects due to the small tweeter sizes (on SOME models, e.g. the cubes). ALthough for rears and background noise this isn't much of a problem.

$0.02

EDIT: I found a more detailed rant about bose here: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I'd assume the guy knows more than I.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Edited by badchad (08/02/05 03:26 PM)

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #4486064 - 08/02/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Just buy the Klipsch speakers and get over the bs and you'l have the best speakers money can buy.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#4486830 - 08/02/05 07:46 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

What do you think of the Klipsch B3? I just want 2 speakers and don't have alot of room.

--------------------

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
    #4487429 - 08/02/05 10:27 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I own Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 for my comp.

No complaints whatsoever. These are really nice speakers for a great fuckin price. The 5.1 setup can only get better my man.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: speakers [Re: badchad]
    #4488680 - 08/03/05 05:31 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Just buy the Klipsch speakers and get over the bs and you'l have the best speakers money can buy.

Klipsch makes some very fine speakers, but the original poster was on a tight budget. It is also very bold to claim that a single manufacturer is going to produce the 'best speaker money can buy' in every single case.

Quote:

2. The basic laws of physics dictate the the "bass" of a soundwave is proportional to the amplitude of the soundwave. E.g. a larger amplitude = more bass. Thats why subwoofers have larger bass cones. With this being said, it doesn't matter how much "technology" you put into a speaker, you will never get "big bass" from a small tweeter because the tweeter cannot physically create a soundwave of sufficient amplitude.

You are close, and have the correct idea, but your terminology is incorrect. There are two basic parts to a wave, the frequencey and the amplitude. The frequency determines the pitch of the sound while the amplitude determines the volume of the sound. You also have the wavelength (the length of a single standing wave) which is directly related to the frequency of the wave. Lower frequencies produce longer wavelengths. In order to accurately reproduce these long wavelengths, large transducers are needed. (There is more involved in the size of the transducer than just accurate wave reproduction, such as energy needed to produce the wave, but I won't go into that here...) In order for these long wavelengths to form properly, a large room is needed. (A 20hz soundwave needs over 50 feet to form a full wavelength!)

Quote:

I found a more detailed rant about bose here: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Wow, nice read. The guy pretty much repeats what my audiophile friends tell me about Bose, though in much more detail. He even mentions the "buy other sound equipment" joke. Too funny.

Does anybody else use vacuum tube amps? When I moved to the Caribbean, I left all my nice stuff in storage and really miss the sound of a good tube amp.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale