Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineavionando
Fungoid

Loc: The wonderful Pacific Nor...
Distribution of Weilii in the Southeast
    #4476681 - 07/31/05 08:31 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I am wondering, has anyone found Weilii anywhere besides Ga? It seems likely to me that they might grow in Alabama, Miss, and the Carolina's. I also think caerulescens and caerulipes could be found in Alabama, Ga or Miss. Any insight would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Distribution of Weilii in the Southeast [Re: avionando]
    #4476693 - 07/31/05 08:44 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Hi avionando. GA? Ha, try three counties in GA, that's it. I won't call his name here, but, a respected member of this comunity lives aprox. 50 mi. to the north of one of these counties, and reports there are none to be found. I don't live in GA, but I believe that he reports there are none to be found south of I-20 (?) I think is the number, nor west of hotlanta (probly not even on the west side), and east of Gwinette. Yes, I believe it is that confined. There are also at least two new Ps. species that have been found in this area (in lawns), and one very rare species (atlantis) that is found frequently in this area.
Ps. caerulipes can be found in the surrounding states you mention, but it is a rare mushroom.

GL

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Offlineavionando
Fungoid

Re: Distribution of Weilii in the Southeast [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4476710 - 07/31/05 08:54 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the reply. I'm still not convinced it doesn't cover a wider area. Time will tell. As more familiar hunters broaden their range of search we may be surprised at what is out there. Also, spores will be spread as these popular mushrooms are picked and handled. As for caerulescens, it was found in Al nearly a century ago. I know it's a long shot but you never know what you will find until you look. Are there any guides describing atlantis?

OfflineChiefess
ExperiencedToker / AmateurMushroom Hunter

#4476813 - 07/31/05 10:13 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

my question is is it possible that this mushroom could spread? surely there are other suitable habitats for it than just those three counties?

--------------------
Been Tokin'!

Offlinemastacheefa
Stranger

Loc: N. Georgia
Re: Distribution of Weilii in the Southeast [Re: Chiefess]
    #4476992 - 07/31/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, given time and effort, I believe the weilii could easily spread. Maybe naturally as mutant forms of weilii and maybe with the help of us spreading spores around to places that are aquiring new building developments.

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: Distribution of Weilii in the Southeast [Re: mastacheefa]
    #4477032 - 07/31/05 11:54 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

The answer to the future is found in the past.

Do you think Psilocybe cubensis could spread from Asia? It did, across the Atlantic.

Ps. weilii doesnt seem like the type of mushroom to be confined to a local area for too long.

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #4477148 - 07/31/05 12:57 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I agree 100% with what you're saying. Yes, there is alot yet to be discovered.
As for the other species, do a search in hunting, there is a wealth of information, pics and habitat descriptions.

peace

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Offlinemastacheefa
Stranger

Re: Distribution of Weilii in the Southeast [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4477230 - 07/31/05 01:29 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

What I wonder is how long weilii has been around as its own species. I know it wasnt discovered till 1995 but surely its been here many years before that. I also would like to know weilii's evolutionary past. What mushrooms might it have evolved from? Whos its father and grandfather?

OfflineChiefess
ExperiencedToker / AmateurMushroom Hunter

#4477271 - 07/31/05 01:41 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

got the same questions

--------------------
Been Tokin'!

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4477352 - 07/31/05 02:03 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mastacheefa said:
What I wonder is how long weilii has been around as its own species. I know it wasnt discovered till 1995 but surely its been here many years before that. I also would like to know weilii's evolutionary past. What mushrooms might it have evolved from? Whos its father and grandfather?

That is like trying to figure out how humans came to be. There are many theorys but none have been [or even can be] proven.

Offlinemastacheefa
Stranger

Re: Distribution of Weilii in the Southeast [Re: Lysergic_Milkman]
    #4477409 - 07/31/05 02:19 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Idk, I think its pretty clear how humans came to be as well as many other animals. We have the fossils to show it. As well as dna similarities. But of course mushrooms dont really leave fossils. So someone would have to extract and analyze the dna of every basidiomycetes and compare characteristics. I think it would be possible just it would take alot of work from very proffesional people. Proffesional people that probually have better things to do.

Offlineavionando
Fungoid

#4480255 - 08/01/05 07:41 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

My thought is that more and more of us are educating ourselves about psilocybian mushrooms. As this continues there will be more of us searching for and inevitably finding more. The pacific northwest has a wealth of psilocybian fungi. The climate there is definitely well suited for fungi but so is the climate in the southeast. I think a big difference in the northwest was due partly to the 60's movement. The revolutionary and forward thinking people of the 60's movement migrated to and visited the northwest in large numbers. These people found what they were looking for and intentionally or not spread the spores of these mushrooms. I see no reason why weilii or some of these other species people have been finding wouldn't grow just about anywhere in the southeast. As the cultural norm in the bible belt evolves more toward modern ways of thinking, I believe we will discover more of the special fungi.

Offlineihaveacow
ilovehumidity

#4481020 - 08/01/05 01:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

i beleive a scientist unleashed the wielli (?) a rumor... crossing them in a lab or something, tahts why there still only around atlanta,

but yeah theyll spread, i dunno where that came from , i just remember that

--------------------
im me on aim... bennettbike

i dont smoke, drink, or abuse drugs, but because i trip spiritually twice a year i got a felony!

Offlinesyntech
Stranger
Re: Distribution of Weilii in the Southeast [Re: ihaveacow]
    #5896781 - 07/25/06 01:19 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I agree with the spreading (not the crazy scientist theory). I live about 120 miles away from Atlanta, in SC. But GA is right outside literally. I can look outside my window and see the river, and GA, plus the climate here is basically the same. I'm not really north of ATL nor south, but kinda parallel to it if that makes any sense. But last night I was walking through this wooded area in a park in a hurry and spotted some mushrooms that were out of place for the area (I usually hunt for non-actives out here just for fun). Some were on a hillside and some in a stream flood plain a few feet away, habitat is light woods with mix of sweet-gums and pine. Soil is mix of wood-chips (man-made ones), kinda sandy more around the stream but everything else is mostly red-clay. I didn't pick the mushrooms or even bother to check for bluing, cause at first sight they had the color, nipple, wavy cap and everything like a Weilii. But after kicking one overy I didn't inspect it any longer cause the gills were kinda indented and very lite almost whitish. It was nighttime, and I just kept walking thinking the spores of Weilii were purple so the gills would be darker like cubes. Before seeing some picks of recent Weilii finds by Red-Crayon, I never knew weilii had gills that were so light in color plus they had that sunk in look. His pic looked very close to the ones I saw and I'm gonna go back and take some to print. They are probably Velutina's or something but they say if you find those Weilii is nearby. There are plenty of neighborhoods plus a golf course with bermuda grass, plus woods with sweet-gums and pines and red-clay. It would be cool to find some Weilii in my area, lots of rain here to! Supposed to rain a lot this week to. Can't wait to go to the cube feilds, it's been dry and this is just what we needed.

Edited by syntech (07/25/06 01:21 AM)

Offlinephishhead
down to fragglerock...
 User Gallery

Loc: roswell, georgia
Re: Distribution of Weilii in the Southeast [Re: syntech]
    #5897342 - 07/25/06 07:48 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

The answer lies in food source, and there is the same kind of clay in other areas. As for the origin of where weilii came from if you look at the caerulipes and a few other psilocybes that come from the eastern united states they have striking characteristics so in the past they all could have been the same but spread and evolved into the different mushrooms they are today. Im sure though there are plenty of psilocybes in these areas that have yet to be discovered. Sadly and exctedly at the same time its developement that is allowing us to find these mushrooms for the first time

--------------------
"Moderation is the key to life..."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies