Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
My incubator.
    #446194 - 11/03/01 11:09 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Today I got a 8" 50W aquarium heater. It is not submergable (it is cheap) and has a dial on top with no digits just a hi and lo amount (it spins around and around one way and then around and around the other). I have it setup in the middle of my styrafoam cooler (it was a little jar so I had to make a small cut in the top to allow the door to be closed). I've got a few questions:

1. If I plan, later, to turn this cooler into a terrarium can I used a rubbermaid box as a incubator? What works best?
2. I have a tin foil lid covering the top and it seems to let out some condensation that slow builds on the side walls. I am worried that this might build up on my jars tape and filter discs and possibly the dry verm layer. Should I be worried?
3. At the moment it is position in the exact center. I have two different thermometers in there. One displays tempuraturs of 90+ while the other shows me tempurature of 88ish. Could it just be the percision? I am still tinkering to get the proper tempurature.
4. Sometimes I hear it and it turns on and off really quickly like it cant decided if it should heat or not. It stops a little while after I open the lid (and the tempurature goes down?) Would it keep on doing this if I wasent there to save it? Or would it finally come to a decision? Should I be worried it might break itself?

Thank you very much if you can answer any of my questions.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecantara
Loc: Beyond the sun
Re: My incubator. [Re: phrozendata]
    #446412 - 11/04/01 07:32 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hi Phrozen.

I can only put in my two cents, I am no expert. I have had experiences with fish tank heaters before and they do tend to crap out in open air. I might be a little naive but I don't understand how a fish tank heater is not submersible?! I suspect maybe it's a heater for other things that live in tanks, like reptiles? I can't picture a non-submersible fish-tank heater, unless it is like a heating pad.

My other comment is - dude if I were you I would turn the heat down right now. The top end you want to be at is 86 - you say you have 2 thermometers, one reading 90+ and one reading 88ish - remember that the interiors of the jars are going to be warmer than the ambient air due to self-generated heat! Past experience has indicated to my friend's cultivating camel that an ambient air temperature, near the jars themselves, of approximately 82 is just about perfect.

Good luck!

--------------------
---- Cantara

[green]Shroomism, please don't delete this thread![/green]

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My incubator. [Re: cantara]
    #446528 - 11/04/01 11:03 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I was playing around with tempuratures when I posted that and I now have it set to give me a constant 82-86 degrees. The fish tank heater goes into water like every other one but it is not submergable as in you cannot stick the whole unit in water. The top part with the dial and the cord are not submergable. I was going to have to pay 2x as much for one that was. Can anybody else answer some questions I have?

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #446670 - 11/04/01 01:27 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

1. Rubbermaid containers are not insulated so keep that in mind. As long as you can maintain that 82-86 temp range in the rubbermaid, go for it.
2.Drying of substrates becomes a problem when they are kept warm esp. with filter disks. are you using perlite or some other form of humidity in the cooler?
3.probably just temp differences cause by heat radiation.
4.Thats the internal thermostat, it will take care of itself.

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #446676 - 11/04/01 01:32 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

1) A rubbermaid works well. A bigger cooler works good as well.
2) How about a real lid? You really don't want it raining on your jars, especially those filter thingies. You can always cover your jars with tinfoil, if need be.
Condensation on the roof of any container, incubator or terrarium can be a problem. I'm big on raising the temperature of the lid. A flourescent will do this, as well as a heating pad atop the box. But, that would defeat, or make redundant, your use of an aquarium heater.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate