Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
Lost fear of casing, here's my game plan...
    #4458850 - 07/27/05 02:40 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

A wet (not too wet) layer of vermiculite at the bottom of a baking pan wiped with alcohol.

Broken cakes over top patted down (not packed).

http://www.tennstud.com/catalog/item/1676047/1184508.htm spread over top of that, also padded down not packed.

Covered in aluminum foil for a few days and incubated in similar conditions the cakes were (80-85?).

Uncovered, misted if too dry, then baking pan goes into Tupperware container that's covered in plastic wrap, given light for 12 hours a day, and maintained until a hopefully successful fruiting.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track or does this need to be revised? I'm open to any and all suggestions, as well as some corrections to the method. Thanks for your time too!

Edited by Newbie (07/27/05 02:58 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lost fear of casing, here's my game plan... [Re: Newbie]
    #4458903 - 07/27/05 03:11 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Revised. Read up on spawning to poo.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Lost fear of casing, here's my game plan... [Re: HippieChick]
    #4458971 - 07/27/05 04:40 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

eh...I'll just stick with the basic casing for now, I don't wanna get too far ahead and be confused. That is unless poo is really easy to do.

Edited by Newbie (07/27/05 05:52 AM)

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #4459076 - 07/27/05 06:14 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Well sounds like u planin on using a spawn substrate for a casing, which is not what you wanna do, if u wanna do a casing what u have said sounds bout right but use a 50/50 verm/peat, or coir or any of the other casing mixes, you dont have a casin layer to have too many nutes or it will likely contam, u just want it there to provide moisture to the substrate below. If u wanna use that stuff from the tennstud link link then u need to spawn to that using one of the spawn teks and then case it using a casin mix.
HTH

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Lost fear of casing, here's my game plan... [Re: BenKenobi]
    #4459087 - 07/27/05 06:18 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks, I'll do a search for spawn teks then. I was looking under bulk cultivation.

Edit: Did a search, even looked under the bulk again and I can't find what I want. All I'm looking for is what to do once the poo's already pasteurized (tennstud). The teks say all about pasteurization. Is there a tek where it'll tell me what to do with crumbled wbs cake, h/poo n straw, and a ten gallon aquarium? I have the means I just need the directions lol.

Edited by Newbie (07/27/05 06:23 AM)

OfflineBenKenobi
Enlightened 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #4459133 - 07/27/05 06:54 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

You want to break up your grain/BRF cakes as finely as possible and mix it well with the pasturized substrate, do this in a large rubermaid suitable size for how much bulk poo u have. You prolly want it about 4-5inches deep once its all mixed. Then wrap some clear plastic or glad wrap over the top and tuck it into the sides so its nice and tight around the crap. Then place a few pin holes in the cover to allow for a bit of air exchange. Once it is fully colinised you can take the plastic off and case it. You want to incubate it while the bulk sub is colinising but it will get hotter than standard jars so you may want to lower the temp of your incubation chamber a bit.

I suspect the stuff from tennstud will come already at optimal moisture level but if it dosent u may need to add some sterile water.
Cheers

PS. Ive never done this im just going on what i have read browsin this site so i may not be 100% on the procedure but yer u get the idea.

--------------------
Old Ben

I beleive that my job in mappin the impulse pathways of a single neuron can allow us to open a mecca into the quailitative functions of the human geno...

Please support your local free spore ring by sendin back prints from successful grows, FSRE

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Lost fear of casing, here's my game plan... [Re: BenKenobi]
    #4459145 - 07/27/05 06:58 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yep,

and the tennstude does come ready for spawn. Do not add anything else. It is has just the right water content.

Also, make sure you are using a tub that will not allow ANY light in on the bottom or sides. Use foil if you must. Otherwise you will get pinning underneath.

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4459193 - 07/27/05 07:22 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah Ben is right, you don't want to use poo as your casing. It would work, but you would not get the results you probably want. Also, instead of doing a "layer" of crumbled cake, mix the cake in with the poo. If you want to do a layer, do it on the top of the poo in addition to the poo mixed in so that it colonizes on top and protects the underlying substrate. Wait until it's 100% colonized, then case it.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Lost fear of casing, here's my game plan... [Re: FooMan]
    #4459198 - 07/27/05 07:26 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I know my reply was a little late, but I started it a while ago and had to leave my computer for a while. Ben said it perfectly. :wink:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: Lost fear of casing, here's my game plan... [Re: FooMan]
    #4459221 - 07/27/05 07:40 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

OK that sounded pretty simple so let me try to put it in my own words to see if I understand what to do:

Mix poo and crumbled cake well in Rubbermaid container, preferably 6-7" deep.(the container i mean)

Take proper sized piece of plastic wrap and cover entire contents of container, including tucking into sides of poo for a better seal. Pole holes in plastic to allow GE and AE

Allow to colonize just like the original cake, and when the mycelium is all over the top I take a casing mix (I'll probably try Jiffy Mix) and cover the mycelium with it, patting it down but not too hard as to pack it.

Now if that's correct I think I will solve the incubation temp problem by moving the incubation into my closet where its a tad cooler (and darker). I'm assuming this poo will give off a lot of heat, so will it be enough to simply put a lid on it and let it heat itself up?

Also, what if there's more poo than crumbled cake? Will it matter or should I try to eyeball it to about 60%poo 40%crumble?

Edited by Newbie (07/27/05 07:56 AM)

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4459584 - 07/27/05 09:49 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Here is a writeup on that:  http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3290155/an/0/page/0
I'll let Hyphae explain it THOROUGHLY for you. All of these questions are answered in the FAQ's. I noticed that you are posting just about every step you are taking in the cultivation forum. If you have a camera you should do a GROW LOG to give people a better idea of what you are doing. It makes it easier for folks here to give you suggestions. :thumbup:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #4459609 - 07/27/05 09:59 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

NewbieShroomie said:

Allow to colonize just like the original cake, and when the mycelium is all over the top I take a casing mix (I'll probably try Jiffy Mix) and cover the mycelium with it, patting it down but not too hard as to pack it.

>If you sprinkle some colonized substrate(cake) on the top to act as a contam barrier, it will colonize quicker then the rest of your bulk substrate. You will have to give it a little bit to fully colonize after the top is done. Just like giving a cake a few days after the outside is done to make sure the center is. :thumbup:

Also, what if there's more poo than crumbled cake?  Will it matter or should I try to eyeball it to about 60%poo 40%crumble?

<Your spawn to poo should be 20% spawn.

Good Luck.

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

Check Tennesse Stud homepage. Mike tells you how to use it.

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix