Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Agar plate info?
    #443171 - 10/31/01 01:09 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I would like to transfer some mycelium that I have growing directly to an agar plate. I have never used the agar method before and am looking for some pointers. I would like to use the agar method as I have innoculated a brown rice cake with some old spores, the growth is very slow inside my jar and contamination is starting to set in. I would like to isolate my good mycelium and continue with it. The spores I have are from a very large cubensis strain.

I plan on plating the agar and transfering active mycelium to the plate. I will incubate at an appropriate temp until I get some rhizomorphic growth. It is at this point that I'm lost. Once I get mycelial growth on my plate how should I procede with innoculation of my substrate?

Any pointers would be helpful, e.g. agar recipes, incubation time/temp, etc.

Thank you,
Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Agar plate info? [Re: Joshua]
    #444166 - 11/01/01 12:27 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

buy the mushroom cultivator. i think everybody who wants to cultivate shrrmmz should have this book around...

OfflineElektrolurch
enthusiast
Loc: Germany
    #444372 - 11/01/01 04:07 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Like felixhigh wrote, for such questions you should get "The Mushroom cultivator". But I can still give you some hints, so you can work until you get it...

After you selected some good looking mycellium on agar, just let it grow on agar again until 3/4 of the dish arecovered.
Cook some rye or any kind of seed substrate. Cut with a sterile knife, etc. some triangles (wedges) of agar with mycellium on it. After use this to inoculate the above substrate (rye etc.)

The easiest agar reciept is MEA:

20 g malt extract
20 g agar-agar
4 g pepton (optional)
4 g yeast extract (optional)
fill up to 1 litre with water

Have luck,

Elektrolurch

--------------------
"For all the time spent in that room
The doll's house, darkness, old perfume
And fairy stories held me high on
Clouds of sunlight floating by.", Pink Floyd '67

InvisibleNDK
    #444393 - 11/01/01 05:00 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

You'll make your life a lot easier if you use peroxidated agar. When you made up the agar and sterilised it, you let it cool so it is only warm to the touch. You then squirt in some 3% H2O2. I use 10ml per litre. (at litre is a lot of agar BTW!). Then when you transfer your mycelium you are a lot less likely to pick up contaminants.

I'd make up about 5 plates and take 5 samples of mycelium to make sure you get what you want. Bear in mind that the mycelium you transfer will stay as it is i.e. if it is cottony it will not turn into rhizomorphic, so try to find the best stuff. Use a flamed scalpel for the transfer. For extra sterility you can dip the chunk of mycelium into neat peroxide before the transfer. This will kill most contaminants that might already be on the mycelium but can slow/kill some weak mycelium on rare occasions.

For general agar tips, see Fat Guy's Agar Tek in the Grow or Find section.

Edited by NDK (11/02/01 10:02 AM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Agar plate info? [Re: NDK]
    #444434 - 11/01/01 06:08 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineTreeofLife
Loc: OH
Re: Agar plate info? [Re: Anno]
    #444826 - 11/02/01 02:17 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

where do you buy agar plates?>

--------------------
The only thing you have to fear is, fear itself...

Invisibledimitri211
Carpal Tunnel
Re: Agar plate info? [Re: TreeofLife]
    #444972 - 11/02/01 04:36 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

myco supply.com
fungi.com
drbluethumbs for 3.50 a sleeve

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate