Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

John Roberts, Bush's Justice nomination
    #4424880 - 07/19/05 06:41 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.independentjudiciary.com/nominees/nominee.cfm?NomineeID=5

John Roberts
Nominated to: Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit

Status of nomination: Confirmed 5/8/2003
May 8, 2003: The Committee voted out Roberts 16-3.

Alliance for Justice Resources:

Alliance for Justice to Senators Hatch and Leahy Re: Deborah Cook and John Roberts
Alliance For Justice Full Report on John Roberts

Born 1955, Buffalo, NY
B.A., 1976, summa cum laude & J.D., 1979, magna cum laude, Harvard University
1979-80, Clerk for Judge Friendly, Second Circuit
1980-81, Clerk, Associate Justice Rehnquist, Supreme Court
U.S. Department of Justice
1981-81, Special Assistant to U.S. Attorney General William French Smith
1989-93, Principal Deputy Solicitor General
1982-86, White House Counsel's Office, Associate Counsel to the President
Hogan & Hartson, LLP, Washington, DC
1986-89, Associate
1993-present, Partner

General Background:
Mr. Roberts, a partner at the D.C. law firm Hogan & Hartson, has long-standing and deep connections to the Republican Party. He is a member of the Republican National Lawyers Association and worked as a political appointee in both the Reagan and Bush I administrations. President George H.W. Bush nominated Mr. Roberts to the D.C. Circuit, but he was considered by some on the Senate Judiciary Committee to be too extreme in his views, and his nomination lapsed. He was nominated by President George W. Bush to the same seat in May 2001.

Reproductive Rights:
A Deputy Solicitor General, Mr. Roberts co-wrote a Supreme Court brief in Rust v. Sullivan,1 for the first Bush administration, which argued that the government could prohibit doctors in federally-funded family planning programs from discussing abortions with their patients. The brief not only argued that the regulations were constitutional, notwithstanding the Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade, but it also made the broader argument that Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided - an argument unnecessary to defend the regulation. The Supreme Court sided with the government on the narrower grounds that the regulation was constitutional.

Environmental Issues:
As a student, Mr. Roberts wrote two law review articles arguing for an expansive reading of the Contracts and Takings clauses of the Constitution, taking positions that would restrict Congress' ability to protect the environment. As a member of the Solicitor General's office, Mr. Roberts was the lead counsel for the United States in the Supreme Court case Lujan v. National Wildlife Federation, in which the government argued that private citizens could not sue the federal government for violations of environmental regulations.

As a lawyer in private practice, Mr. Roberts has also represented large corporate interests opposing environmental controls. He submitted an amicus brief on behalf of the National Mining Association in the recent case Bragg v. West Virginia Coal Association. 3 In this case, a three-judge panel of the Fourth Circuit reversed a district court ruling that had stopped the practice of "mountaintop removal" in the state of West Virginia. Citizens of West Virginia who were adversely affected by the practice had sued the state, claiming damage to both their homes and the surrounding area generally. Three Republican appointees - Judges Niemeyer, Luttig, and Williams - held that West Virginia's issuance of permits to mining companies to extract coal by blasting the tops off of mountains and depositing the debris in nearby valleys and streams did not violate the 1977 Federal Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act.4 This decision was greeted with great dismay by environmental groups. In another case, Roberts represented one of several intervenors in a case challenging the EPA?s promulgation of rules to reduce nitrogen oxide emissions.5

Civil Rights:
After a Supreme Court decision effectively nullified certain sections of the Voting Rights Act, Roberts was involved in the Reagan administration's effort to prevent Congress from overturning the Supreme Court's action.6 The Supreme Court had recently decided that certain sections of the Voting Rights Act could only be violated by intentional discrimination and not by laws that had a discriminatory effect, despite a lack of textual basis for this interpretation in the statute. Roberts was part of the effort to legitimize that decision and to stop Congress from overturning it.

Religion in Schools:
While working with the Solicitor General's office, Mr. Roberts co-wrote an amicus brief on behalf of the Bush administration, in which he argued that public high schools can include religious ceremonies in their graduation programs, a view the Supreme Court rejected.7

Pro Bono:
Mr. Roberts has engaged in significant pro bono work while at Hogan and Hartson, including representation of indigent clients and criminal defendants.

Other Information:
Mr. Roberts is a member of two prominent, right-wing legal groups that promote a pro-corporate, anti-regulatory agenda: the Federalist Society and the National Legal Center For The Public Interest, serving on the latter group's Legal Advisory Council.

Mr. Roberts lists his net worth as over $3.7 million.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: John Roberts, Bush's Justice nomination [Re: DNKYD]
    #4424890 - 07/19/05 06:45 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

hah I was just about to post the same thing.

Quote:

The brief not only argued that the regulations were constitutional, notwithstanding the Supreme Court's decision in Roe v. Wade, but it also made the broader argument that Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided - an argument unnecessary to defend the regulation.

Quote:

As a lawyer in private practice, Mr. Roberts has also represented large corporate interests opposing environmental controls

Quote:

he argued that public high schools can include religious ceremonies in their graduation programs

Quote:

Mr. Roberts is a member of two prominent, right-wing legal groups that promote a pro-corporate, anti-regulatory agenda

I think a 'screw that guy' is in order.

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: John Roberts, Bush's Justice nomination [Re: newuser1492]
    #4424905 - 07/19/05 06:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I think a 'screw that guy' is in order.

At the least, I was hoping that Bush would be a little more centrist in his choice. But no, he went straight for a definite right-winger. I hope there is a good fight over this guy.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #4425058 - 07/19/05 07:20 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Roberts was a clerk for Rehnquist....

Kennedy and Boxer are going to IMPLODE.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: John Roberts, Bush's Justice nomination [Re: dblaney]
    #4425075 - 07/19/05 07:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I heard someone suggest that this pick would help distract the attention from the Rove leak. It's quite possible.

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #4425087 - 07/19/05 07:26 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Gijith said 11/3/2004:
Everyone has their breaking point.
As I've said before, I have every intention of staying put...
But there are certain events that could change my mind. I'm sure most of us have a few.

If Bush got enough justices into the SC to reverse Roe v Wade, I wouldn't hesistate to leave. A government that wants to restrict the rights of its citizens that much has to be either abolished or fled from. And Bush seems to be immune to just about any attack waged on him. So...

*starts packing suitcase so I'll  be ready to leave by the time Bush installs his third or fourth justice. With a conservative lock on the White House for at least the next 7 years, things just ain't lookin that great to me.  :tongue: :poop:

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #4425357 - 07/19/05 08:28 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

I always thought Bush's pandering to the religious right and to the social conservatives was half-hearted. He said what he needed to say to get their votes, but when it came to doing anything about their causes he didn't seem terribly active. But, it looks like he really threw the Christians a bone with this nomination.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #4425440 - 07/19/05 08:51 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Screw that guy.

I doubt he'll win anyway.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#4425590 - 07/19/05 09:24 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

funny how right-wingers always complain about liberal "activist judges" but yet support nominations like John Roberts who clearly has an activist agenda himself.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: John Roberts, Bush's Justice nomination [Re: Vvellum]
    #4425724 - 07/19/05 09:47 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:
funny how right-wingers always complain about liberal "activist judges" but yet support nominations like John Roberts who clearly has an activist agenda himself.

These fucking ideologue judges (on the Left and the Right) are abominations to the legal system. We need some old-school judges who actually have read the Constitution, do what they can to uphold it, and who make no effort to inject their personal political beliefs into things.

Edited by RandalFlagg (07/19/05 09:48 PM)

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: John Roberts, Bush's Justice nomination [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #4425774 - 07/19/05 09:55 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

We need some libertarian judges, pure and simple.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: John Roberts, Bush's Justice nomination [Re: Ravus]
    #4425807 - 07/19/05 10:04 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
We need some libertarian judges, pure and simple.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Both the left and right are equally to blame for the travesty that they like to call the Supreme Court. it doesn't even seem like they even look at the Constitution anymore to make their decisions, and if they do, it is only to add weight to their ideals.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: John Roberts, Bush's Justice nomination [Re: Redstorm]
    #4425838 - 07/19/05 10:13 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
doesn't even seem like they even look at the Constitution anymore to make their decisions

The Constitution is amazing. It lays out a workable governmental system and it addresses all of the pitfalls that seem to have been inherent in the different forms of government. It is a grand framework for a limited and responsible republic.

Unfortunately, the Constitution was thrown into the garbage a long time ago. When I hear politicians pledging to uphold it or praising this or that about it, I want to barf. They have soiled the document to the point that I don't think the current governmental situation is repairable nor is it anywhere near what the founding fathers proposed.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#4426043 - 07/19/05 11:07 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

How do we go about calling a Constitutional Convention?

Invisible1stimer
Religion=Rape
Loc: Amerika
    #4426130 - 07/19/05 11:22 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Im down.

--------------------
ash dingy donker mo gollyhopper patty popiton rockstop bueno mayo riggedy jig bobber johnathan pattywhacker gogboob t-shirt monkey.

There is such emotion in the distortion.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #4426134 - 07/19/05 11:23 PM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
These fucking ideologue judges (on the Left and the Right) are abominations to the legal system. We need some old-school judges who actually have read the Constitution, do what they can to uphold it, and who make no effort to inject their personal political beliefs into things.

Amen. I don't care if a judge swings to the liberal or conservative side. Their entire purpose is to interpret the constitution and that is all I want.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #4427134 - 07/20/05 04:38 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

> Unfortunately, the Constitution was thrown into the garbage a long time ago.

For the most part... simply ignored... because it is too difficult (paraphrasing a recent supreme court ruling).

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
    #4427413 - 07/20/05 08:45 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bi0 said:

and funny how the senate democraps will miss that point altogether...but there is a very faint glimmer of hope that the senate will be forced to bork roberts because of his position against abortion...or at the very least..if roberts is confirmed..that pro-choice voters will activate and vote the religious fundamentalists out of the senate in 2006...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: John Roberts, Bush's Justice nomination [Re: Annapurna1]
    #4427735 - 07/20/05 10:34 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

It's so weird how so much of politics revolves around abortion. When a politician or potential Supreme Court Justice wants to get a position, they have to go through the abortion litmus test. "Are you pro-choice or pro-life".

I can think of at least ten other issues that are more important and that are affecting the U.S. more than abortion.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #4427821 - 07/20/05 10:57 AM (18 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

unny how right-wingers always complain about liberal "activist judges" but yet support nominations like John Roberts who clearly has an activist agenda himself.

"Clearly"?

Why don't you list for us the items on his "activist agenda"?

Phred

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order