Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewallace
Male

Loc: Canada
pan subbs??!!
    #4418117 - 07/18/05 06:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The rainy season finally came a few weeks ago (I was told it rains every day in the rainy season, and this year it rained every day for 2.5 days) and I checked a couple of spots that I have had my eye on for a while. The substrate is wood chips that appear to have been used as bedding for horses (shit-n-chips?) now used on flower beds. There have been copius amounts of coprinus fruiting there, but I always wondered why I hadn't seen pan subbs there. I didn't take any for spore prints that day because I prefer not to pick at all in parks and gardens. I was kind of disappointed with my find though.
However yesterday when I was putting my guide away, it fell open to the pan subb page, and I saw a photograph that I hadn't seen for some months, and I knew it reminded me of THIS mushroom. I got damn excited because I have never seen subbs before.

Here are three shots of a fellow nearby the cluster.

Neither the cap nor stalk rang any bells and I threw it out, but going back to it I began to think I might have been wrong.
Here are a few from another venue.

Now you have to agree this is a promising looking stalk, with its winding striations, and furry look to it.

Gills are below cap margin, too, which is more foen-like than subb-like, but still okay for subbs. Am I right?
Then there were these two solitary tall thin mushrooms that I dismissed outright because of their size. (Should have a more robust stalk, I thought) The zones weren't obvious either which I was absolutely convinced was the distinguishing feature I was looking for.

But when I went back to my photos yesterday again the misshapen cap, and what is visible of the stalk as it meets the cap made them very promising.
I think I have subbs folks. Frig, I am happy. First bonafide active.
Finding mushrooms is the weirdest thing--they always seem to differ significantly from what you imagine they are going to be like.
BTW, foens shouldn't grow in this substrate right? In any case they don't appear to be that common here. I found them in only one of my guidebooks that is about 15 years old. They are absent in newer more comprehensive guidebooks.
Wallace

--------------------
Wallace

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRamuh
Finder of thesubbs

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
Re: pan subbs??!! [Re: wallace]
    #4418155 - 07/18/05 07:21 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Those look exactly like subbs to me. Take sporeprints just to be sure, but just from the look of the cap in the first pic you can almost see a jet black sporeprint forming on the cap of the mushroom beneath it. Very nice pics.

--------------------
Radio is down for a day or two to transfer all my music, and do some other work.

"Light, coming from my mind. We are one, the night has just begun"

Invisiblepopnganja420
Ganja Man GoneWild
 User Gallery

Loc: Cloud 9
Re: pan subbs??!! [Re: Ramuh]
    #4418167 - 07/18/05 07:32 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmmm... judging by your profile I'm assuming your from Japan wallace. My question is... I live here in Ohio... and maybe Ramuh you can help. Would our Pan Subbs look different than other places in the world? Like... would Ohio's look different than maybe GA if they have them? The reason I ask is... I found over 200 of them yesterday while hunting. And they look smaller than everyone elses pics with a slightly different color... mine being way darker than most. Can anyone shed light on this? Do I still have Pan Subbs? I don't wanna take from the thread so PM me if its not related.

Anyhow... I think those are Pan Subbs wallace. But be sure to do your spore print first, and how many megapixels was your digital camera... looks good. I need a new one, any suggestions?

--------------------
"... Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis

Anonymous

Re: pan subbs??!! [Re: popnganja420]
    #4418182 - 07/18/05 07:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ohio??? Im from ohio where did you find these, in mulch?

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: pan subbs??!! [Re: ]
    #4418326 - 07/18/05 08:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

nice finds wallace.

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: woodwork Flag
Re: pan subbs??!! [Re: psiclops]
    #4418502 - 07/18/05 10:23 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

hmm yes...I have been hungting in north eastern ohio with no such luck. ANy tips would be appreciated.

OfflineBetaDelta
Stranger
Male
Re: pan subbs??!! [Re: Tangerines]
    #4418505 - 07/18/05 10:24 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm in Michigan and the same prob! so don't worry, it's everyone right now, it seams that their needs to be some magic spell and it's isn't rain! :laugh:

Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
    #4418786 - 07/18/05 11:56 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm pretty sure you ahve subbs there. Definitely not foes- could be something like P. Campalanatus, but I doubt it. Great finds. Enjoy those!

OfflineBetaDelta
Stranger
Male
Re: pan subbs??!! [Re: nycomyco]
    #4418835 - 07/18/05 12:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know what it is but I just have not been able to find a subb for the life of me. I don't know why, It's been raining practically every day here (gotta love the weather) but ya know, no mushrooms at all...of any kind...it's really mind boggling!

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #4419446 - 07/18/05 02:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You got yourself your first active find buddy! Good job! Check for that black print. Post pics of your haul :wink:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

Invisiblewallace
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: pan subbs??!! [Re: BetaDelta]
    #4420127 - 07/18/05 05:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

popn, no I think your question about color is good. That is what threw me off when I first found them. I recommend taking a look at the subbs shroomydan found in some rotting bales recently. Their coloring is different than mine, which made me doubt mine.
About the pictures--I don't think taking clear pictures these days is any longer about megapixels, it is about whether it can do close-ups or not. This one is only 5 megapixels, but it is good to one centimetre. When you buy one, make sure it can do close-ups, even if it makes the camera slightly more expensive. Oh yeah, I also really recommend a monitor where you can adjust the angle. I think these monitors were originally made for taking pictures at rock concerts, but they are perfect for mushrooms because you can point the lens up underneath the cap and still look at the monitor without laying down in the dirt.
BTW, these pics are 3 weeks old, and I never took spore prints because I was too busy looking for subbs. Stupid, I know.

--------------------
Wallace

OfflineBetaDelta
Stranger
Male
    #4421157 - 07/18/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yea now when people ask us to id mushrooms, they can give us everything that we ask (and please people, do cuz it's just so hard to give you a GOOD id without that info) but in this age, a good pic is really becoming a necessity, and btw 5 megapixels is nice, I'll take that lol!
Take care!

Invisiblepopnganja420
Ganja Man GoneWild
 User Gallery

Re: pan subbs??!! [Re: BetaDelta]
    #4423040 - 07/19/05 10:44 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmm... that is a good shot for 5 megapixels. I think I was under educated with the digital cameras.. I thought it all lay in the megapixels. Oh well, thanks for the tips.

I also noticed that Shroomydan's Pan Subbs were lighter than mine. Maybe I waited to pick mine too late, I don't know. The tops are more of a darker brown, than a tan color. Could it be that if they grow from hay or dung they grow larger and maybe lighter in color as opposed to grass where they grow thinner and darker?

--------------------

Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
Re: pan subbs??!! [Re: popnganja420]
    #4423212 - 07/19/05 11:18 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

popn, if anything, the darker the cap indicates relative freshness. I have found subbs in several places, but I've never seen a subb with evident rings becuase they seem to fade so quickly. I've found that sun bleaches them to a tannish color and can also make pockmarks on the top. When they dry however, they become darker.
I think smell is another great indicator that you don't hear about with actives other than ps. weilii. Subbs will smell different from the other mushrooms that grow on hay. If you let them sit for a while, or even hodl them in your palm for a little while, they should smell almost like urine. There are mushrooms that grow in hay with rust-colored gills that can be shaped quite similarly to subbs, but a quick sniff can immediately rule them out.

Invisiblepopnganja420
Ganja Man GoneWild
 User Gallery

Re: pan subbs??!! [Re: nycomyco]
    #4423627 - 07/19/05 01:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Smell!?!  Huh... I never thought to try that. I did smell mine but it didn't really smell like urine... it was more of a super overpowering smell of strong mushrooms... it was stronger than like portabella mushrooms.  Maybe mine were too fresh for the odor to change... they didn't make it to the dry stage.  :smirk:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags