Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

my first time - mycobag & ecuador (pics)
    #4405008 - 07/14/05 06:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

hey everybody. i'm brand spanking new to growin and since it was inoculation day i thought i'd post.

i've been lurking here and there reading and learning for about 3 months waiting for everything to come together. and today was the day.

let me explain my grow to you lovely people
i am using a grain based mycobag and i got a spore syringe (ecuador)
i finally got the mycobag today.
i was in a clean room, with gloves on, i used alcohol to clean the bag and syringe.
i squirted about 4ccs of the spore solution into the bag and put medical tape over the self healing syringe site.
i put the bag in a sealed rubbermaid container that was big enough to let the bag fully lie flat to allow it to expand.
i put it in a drawer in a room with the temperature set to 70degrees f, but it tends to get a bit warmer.

the people from mycobag say you can fruit in their bags. but if i'm able to get this bag to fully colonize i will use perlite tek for fruiting.
i am so excited.
thanks for reading and please comment especially if i'm screwing it up already. i'm really hoping this works. thanks :smile:

Edited by trippibri (03/16/06 12:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAiko Aiko
 User Gallery

Loc: Lazy River Road
Re: my first day [Re: TrippingDuality]
    #4405036 - 07/14/05 06:28 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know much about bags, but it sounds like you were clean enough. Well anyways welome, GL, and happy growing!
:mushroomgrow::mushroomgrow: :grin:

--------------------
Easily test the dosage of your tabs at home!:lsd:
qtests.org

Man says, "God, show me and I will believe." God says, "Believe and I will show you."

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: my first day [Re: Aiko Aiko]
    #4405088 - 07/14/05 06:47 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

ive never used bags, but, ive read growlogs and directions suggesting shaking or mixing up the grain after inoculation.  It helps increase the inoculation points which = faster colonization.  Even if you didn't do it, im sure it will colonize just fine :smile:  Just do a search in this forum for mycobags, bag growing, etc.  Im sure it will pop up a bunch of related threads to give you some more insight on bag growing :smile:  GL!

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: my first day [Re: coda]
    #4405095 - 07/14/05 06:50 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

oh btw optimal incubation temps are 82-86 degrees, you should def find a way to heat up that bag some more :smile: 

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2921939/an/0/page/0

^^ thats an easy set up, relatively cheap and easy to work with.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
    #4405118 - 07/14/05 06:58 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

welcome and good luck!!!!

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

Re: my first day [Re: sludge]
    #4406244 - 07/14/05 11:32 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

thanks so much for the welcome
and the advice.
i mixed the bag pretty well right after inoculation, and i plan on mixing it again in three days. as far as the heat thing goes, i was thinking of placing it on top of my cable reciever, but i'm thinking that might be too hot. maybe i'll put the thermostat on 75 and see how it goes.
thanks again i will keep posting :laugh:

--------------------
turn off your mind relax and float downstream

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

#4407819 - 07/15/05 01:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

happy friday to all!
i was thinking about my heat problem last night. i turned the thermostat in the room to 80 degrees f and boy it was hot this morning. i was thinking of buying those air activated heat packs that you get for back pain. has anyone had any experience with those?

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4407837 - 07/15/05 01:26 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

make an incubator!~

do a search for a TIT...Tub in Tub incubator.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#4407954 - 07/15/05 01:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Party on  :mushroom2:, and take it from me, these people, here at the
shoomery know their stuff, good luck.

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

Re: my first day [Re: rod]
    #4408110 - 07/15/05 02:40 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i will check out the incubator, but since i'm only doing one bag i think i can control the temps using other methods. i suppose keeping that room hot as an oven is a viable option.

ugh i'm so confused now....
the more i read today the more confused i am.
i'm not really worried about the temp, as long as it's near 80 degrees i dont mind waiting a bit for colonization.
what i'm confused about is the casing/fruiting situation.
what i was planning on doing, had it straight in my mind was to of course let the bag fully colonize, and let the first flush fruit in the bag. then cut the bag at the level of the substrate and place in in an airtight clear rubbermaid container. i was thinking in the bottom an inch or so perlite soaked with 50% water 50% hydrogen peroxide. i was thinking just put the bag on top of the perlite. then putting it in a warm spot that gets indirect sun and opening every day for co2 and misting.
is this right? or do i need to case it? should i leave it in the bag? am i being completely stupid? maybe it's my pms. haha.
i dont think i'm posting in the right place, maybe i'm just on shroomie info overload i don't know why the hell i'm so confused.

all i know is i'm not going to touch the bag or even peek until sunday (that will be 3 days past inoculation), then i will massage the bag and put it back to bed.
i know i have at least 2 weeks before i need to really do anything, but i want to get it straight in my head for when the time comes.

please feel free to make fun of my stupidity.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4408244 - 07/15/05 03:06 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Find a warm canent if you can, often one above a light like in a kitchen or bathroom works, on top a computer monitor or TV..anything generating a smal amount of heat. A heating pad in the drawer, on the oppisite side of the drawer from the bags NOT touching it or near it could heat up the drawer and bag as well. Just do not apply any direct heat to the jar and create hot spots...thats way worse then to cold.

>is this right?

That could be right, if thats what you want to do. Does the bag have a filter patch I'm assuming? If so then you can do the first flush in a bag. If it were me though, I would just do what your gonna do for the 2nd flush...it will do better out of the bag, so why not?

>or do i need to case it?

You dont need to, but I would at least throw some moist verm on there if you can get any. It wil increase your yeild.

>should i leave it in the bag?

If you want you can..I would leave at least the bag on the whole time, but when done I would cut off the top to allow for better fresh air exchange. I personally would also case it, unless I didnt have the ingredients and couldnt find either jiffy mix, hofmans starter mix, or vermiculite at walmart or a gardening center around me. All three of those can be used as is for a half assed decent casing, better then nothing..

Also theres a problem with "airtight clear rubbermaid container" and "then putting it in a warm spot that gets indirect sun and opening every day for co2 and misting". Leave it cracked slightly..you dont want air tight, you want gases to be able to excape and fresh air to leak in slowly. It also shouldnt go in a warm spot..the bag goes in a warm spot while colonizing, but when done and ready to fruit you put it in a cooler spot, 70-77 or so. Once a day will be light on the air exchange so try and do it as much as you can. Oh yeah, and..

>all i know is i'm not going to touch the bag or even peek until sunday (that will be 3 days past inoculation), then i will massage the bag and put it back to bed.

You dont massage for no reason, and in 3 days I doubt you'll have any growth, if you do, probably not much. You massage the bag if at all, to break up the mycelium and spread it around other areas of the bag. For that to do any good, you need to have some good sized peices of mycelium in the bag (20%). Sometimes this can stall things though, especially large bags so I might suggest staying away from massaging until 50-70%..

>please feel free to make fun of my stupidity.

Hahahahahaha, stupid!!!! Yeah you. Look at you coming in here and asking all your questions..what do you think this is a place to learn to grow mushrooms! Geez the stupidity of some people! (hows that? :smirk:)

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

Re: my first day [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4408322 - 07/15/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

thank you for your speedy and lovely reply
i'm still freakin confused. you should see my face. haha.

the only reason i was going to massage the bag in 3 days was because when i inoculated the bag, all i did was stick it in the middle somewhere and let about 4 ccs in at once. i did mix it pretty well right after inoculation like i said but i thought mixing it....well who cares what i thought, i'll listen to your advice.

ok i guess i'll read about casing again....i just wanted this first grow to be easy...i see pictures of mycobags with big shroomies growing inside them and i think picking, then cutting open the bag and misting the sides seems so much easier than casing.

i'm probably going to screw it up.
i have patience but after reading so much it seems like every question i have has 3953904309239 different answers.
maybe my stress is gonna kill the project..haha. wouldn't be the first time.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #4408345 - 07/15/05 03:32 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thats because while this is a science, its also an art and there are no exact answers. Everyone has there own and has there own way of doing thing. Cubensis are probably one of the easiest species that exist to cultivate. Optimal conditions, pinsets, and yields are one thing...but just to get them to grow is REALLY easy. From that point, its just maximizing what you get. And dont be discouraged if you fail the first time, like I said it is easy and you'll get it at some point if you stick with it. :goodluck:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: my first day [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4408380 - 07/15/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i donno about bags, never tried them, but ive had nothing but success so far with cakes. like you said scat, its really easy even if you only have somewhat of an idea how to do it.

--------------------

Offlinethremix
Big Spender

Loc: Temple of Boom
Re: my first day [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #4408464 - 07/15/05 03:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Welcome!! I have bags, and I have read up on them like crazy. One thing I need to tell you. I learned this the hard way. IS DO NOT CRUMBLE THE BAG. Now people will go back and forth on this but I am going through this right now. I know B+ liked it very much one time and helped it move very fast. I was dumb and did it again. If you are going to do, do it one time and one time only!! I would wait until it is about 20% then do it one time.

as for fruiting I would fruit in the bag the first( to get a good idea about yield in a mycobag) and case the second flush.

casing is SUPER easy if you read up on RK Hpoo tek. I must warn you after you read it, you will find it so easy the you will be overcome by a feeling of....well one can only describe it as "Wanting to hump Road Kill's leg" yes so watch out for that and you'll be OK. PM me if I can help, I will, But by no means am I a pro. I am even on my first grow. I just maid MY OWN cakes few days ago. YAY!!!

--------------------
http://www.gainesvilleps.org/

Dale Carnegie, once said that he never needed to know any thing about any thing because he knew EVERY thing. Any time he didn't know some thing, he asked, he asked his team, his friends, And most important he asked the person that would know the answer.

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

Re: my first day [Re: thremix]
    #4408803 - 07/15/05 05:30 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i just made an adjustment on scat's suggestion. i moved it from the bottom drawer of the hot room to the top of my closet in my bedroom and put the rubbermaid container on top of a dvd player that generates heat when it's plugged in. i put it directly on top of the dvd player- do you think that's too much heat?

so i did look at it, and i have to be honest the smell when i opened the rubbermaid today was pretty strong. but i think it's a clean smell and too soon to tell anyway. i noticed no growth, but i'm not worried yet it's only day 2.
i will try not to stress about it too much.
thanks again for your help, as you can see i'm going to need it.

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #4408805 - 07/15/05 05:31 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

trippibri said:

i will check out the incubator, but since i'm only doing one bag i think i can control the temps using other methods. i suppose keeping that room hot as an oven is a viable option.

just stick the bag in a box...and put it over your frig.

the frig will heat your bag like an incubator.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

Re: my first day [Re: Roadkill]
    #4408973 - 07/15/05 06:14 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

the dvd player is warm to the touch
hopefully i'm not creating any hotspots
thanks a million

--------------------

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #4409037 - 07/15/05 06:28 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

best way to check the heat is to buy a thermometer. You can pick up some cheapos over at wallyworld, or even get the little stick on ones they use for fishtanks. Good luck with the grow, just follow directions and you'll be fine!

--------------------

-JG

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

#4413414 - 07/16/05 11:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

pdate:
well i checked on the baby today...i know i should leave her alone but well i couldn't help it. i'm a nervous parent. lol. i saw nice condensation on the inside of the bag, and i know the temp is good. i didn't get a chance to buy a thermometer today but i will do it. i think i saw a bit of mycelium at the inoculation spot but i'm not postive. *crosses fingers*
thanks for listening :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures