Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineArcanePerception
The only rule isthe golden rule
 User Gallery

Non hpoo substrate help
    #4401827 - 07/13/05 10:45 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

well I live in an urban area nowhere to leach or compost and dont want to buy hpoo online anymore. I was thinking of using a 50/50 mix straw and worm castings need some advice on store bought substrates. I know I will not get results like I did with the poo but want second best. should I use straight straw, worm castings and straw, worm castings and verm, or something else. I have also seen pelletized straw at pet stores brand name "critter country" would like to try that 20lbs dry is $11 and no shredding or compacting any good?

--------------------
Oh, welcome to this world of fools
Of pink champagne and swimming pools

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomKillabrew
Grower dude
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: Non hpoo substrate help [Re: ArcanePerception]
    #4401889 - 07/13/05 11:13 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

You should look into Black Kow brand manure. No pasteurization needed, you can use it strait out of the bag. Check this out.

--------------------
Disclaimer: All my posts are purely for entertainment purposes only. Furthermore, I have NO idea what I am talking about for I have never even seen a mushroom. All picture's are taken from various sources on the internet.

ShroomKill-a-brew :beer:

OfflineArcanePerception
 User Gallery

Re: Non hpoo substrate help [Re: ShroomKillabrew]
    #4401966 - 07/13/05 11:38 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

would have been great but im not on the map of distributors for black kow though

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Non hpoo substrate help [Re: ArcanePerception]
    #4402576 - 07/14/05 06:31 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I would use about half straw, 1 quarter worm castings and 1 quarter verm. Actually, I would order the stuff from TN Stud still...and use 20-50% horse poo (that percent after you mix everything else)...itll last you forever that way so you dont need to order lots, but still give you some oomph from the horse poo. Problem with straw is not great nutes and gets green pretty easy. Poor at holding water too To much worm castings though and you get to much nitrogen and not much else for nutes...plus a crappy muddy texture. I havnt tried the straw/castings/verm ONLY thing, I've only used castings as an additive, but I do know people who had success with it...of course since the tried TN Stud, they feel its worth it to order the poo...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineArcanePerception
 User Gallery

Re: Non hpoo substrate help [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4417376 - 07/18/05 12:07 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

thx for the input leaning toward 1/2 50/50 worm castings/verm and 1/2 pelletized straw but I still got time to choose just knocked up 8 quarts wbs with lipa yai lc tonight. got a new brand of wbs Wagner's its about 80% red and yellow millet and $5 for 20lbs at home depot

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale