Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Sterilized horse poo users--report in.
    #4386487 - 07/09/05 10:23 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I've been having really good luck with unpasteurized horse poo.  So, I'm wondering what results people have had on the other end of the spectrum, that being sterilizing horse poo.  It's no secret that pasteurizing is a pain to most folks.  Who wants to wait for temps to get in correct range, and watch the pot for a few hours?  I certainly don't have the time for that, nor have I found a simple set-and-forget solution to pasteurizing (except for Agar's space heater/dead freezer tek, which looks terrific, but I don't have the materials for this currently.)

Sterilizing poo would be super simple, load jars or bags, fill pot, then bring to a boil for an hour.  It's low on the sterilization spectrum (212F) but I imagine it would do the job.  I've seen Workman using sterilized poo for his other-species spawn bag projects, but that's about it.

So, does anyone have any experience with this?  If not, I'm going to put it on the list of things to try.  What if it works?  It would make things 10x simpler.  There is very little data available as to how this might work out, that's why I'm asking for personal experiences on the topic.  On the other hand, I think we all know what happens when you sterilize straw (trich city). :crazy:

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

Loc: God's Country
Re: Sterilized horse poo users--report in. [Re: Holydiver]
    #4386564 - 07/09/05 10:47 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I just got a tour of one of the local Mushroom Farms...had an awesome time. The guy there lives, eats, and breathes them. He told me that well composted horse poo has already been pasteurized because of the heat level the manure will reach...thus as long as it has been composted properly it is good to go. His words.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilized horse poo users--report in. [Re: oysterguy63]
    #4386593 - 07/09/05 11:02 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Sure, read Blue Helix's stuff...theres a post in the advanced forum, something about constant stirring LC shows growth in a few days...he sterilizes the bulk mixed with WBS in bags, and shoots up the bulk with a LC, then cases it when done. Una did that too, and I believe workman does also. From what I hear it works out just fine, just gotta keep it COMPLETLY sterile before 100% colonized of course.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilized horse poo users--report in. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4386628 - 07/09/05 11:18 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I'm aware of those setups. I was referring to a large quantities of poo, not so much spawn bags at a time. I.E., filling gallon jars of poo and boiling in a pot. Keep closed until ready to spawn, etc.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4386651 - 07/09/05 11:23 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well each of BH's bags are like 10 pounds of substrate, how much you thinking your gonna fit into the gallon jars? And then spawn them open air, or add spawn to the jars and shake?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4386661 - 07/09/05 11:26 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Open air, then spawned to tubs.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4386677 - 07/09/05 11:32 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting, I have yet to see anyone do this...everyone who I've seen who does sterilize manure, did it in bags, and kept it completly sterile the whole time. I would imagine that you'll be killing off everything that even remains alive when you dont pasteurize, and that could give you issues. I dont know for sure though of course and of course that would be the first guess and everyones as to what would happen. Who really knows though right?

--------------------

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4386692 - 07/09/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Exactly. Pasteurization of poo, while not a bad practice, just seems to me to be an extension of the straw teks, with no straight answers as to what or why we're doing it, except for the usual killing mold spores, etc. So how about sterilization?

There is the firefang argument as well. My poo is usually so new that firefang never even makes it to the poo, so sterilizing wouldn't be killing off anything that never existed in the first place. And I know for a fact firefang in itself isn't a required component for excellent results working with horse poo.

My idea for sterilizing poo: Load up in a gigantic pasta pot, hydrate until water level is just above the poo, and boil for an hour. Cover, let cool and then remove pot and strain excess the next day, or when ready to spawn. You can fit a lot of poo in a large paste pot, on an outdoor burner with sturdy legs to handle the weight. Not dealing with PP bags and sealing shit filled wet plastic would be a nice change. Also, having bags of hot shit bust at the seams for no reason is not a fun routine. In short, I hate bags.

I'll get around to it one of these days, just sounds like something interesting to experiment around with.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #4386704 - 07/09/05 11:46 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Well, if you kept the water at 160-170 degrees, instead of 212, boiling, that would be pastuerizing. Sounds similar to what HC does, one of those metal wastebaskets that just fits into a pot, fill with poo and cook then pull out the trash basket and strain. I mean I guess it only takes an hour instead of 2-3 but people like RK only pasteurize 30 minutes, so why not just do that? I dont know, just boiling the poo in a big pot of water, I'm gonna guess the same thing would happen if the water gets to hot for to long when pasteurizing, bacteria.

--------------------

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

#4388242 - 07/09/05 10:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Oh, and the other thing he said was not to worry so much about going over 170 with pasteurization temps, and not to worry so much about exposing spores to temps above 104.  He claims that those guidelines are primarily for a 24 hour period, and a couple of hours will not kill off the past bac you want to keep or the spores.  Again, his words.  Did seem to know (no pun intended) his shit though.  :smile:

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

Offlineoysterguy63
60's child

#4388246 - 07/09/05 10:31 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Ooops...forgot to mention...he also talked about sensitivity to contamination, and stated that a strong generational strain or high qulaity strain is quite resistant anyway. I promptly came home with a 10 lb bag of second generation Golden Oyster spawn. Happy day indeed.

--------------------
Oysters...yuummmmm

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4388476 - 07/09/05 11:33 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Replied to wrong person

Edited by Blue Helix (07/09/05 11:34 PM)

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4388481 - 07/09/05 11:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Diver, I have gone from 1cc of liquid culture to 500ccs of liquid culture to colonized dung/WBS to a colonized casing to the fruiter in 16 days. This rapid speed is only possible because I did not spawn anything. While you are messing around with your spawning and hoping it doesn't ferment or otherwise go bad, I'll be pulling pounds of fresh shrooms. Unless you are trying to produce literally dozens pounds dry or something, this technique will fit the bill. Way too many people are messing with spawning out when there is no need. A small run with three spawn bags can give you a pound or two dry if you know what you are doing.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Sterilized horse poo users--report in. [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4388692 - 07/10/05 12:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Just wanted to add that I've done jars of poo :rolleyes:

It was a PURE NOOB accident, did it quite awhile back :smirk:

The results I got weren't great to be honest. Everything decided to NOT colonize and most contamed =/

Ever since pasturizing (cept once), nothing but whiteness :thumbup:

But I am glad to see all these GD experiments going around.

I'll be trying the BM soon :grin:

Tc and Gl

-Gnostic

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags