Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Loc: mountains and lakes
war
    #4379762 - 07/07/05 12:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

let's discuss war...

What is your view on war? Is there anything honorable in fighting wars?
Why is personal murder forbiden in our society and murder in large groups alowed and even honored?

--------------------
I descend upon your earth from the skies
I command your very souls you unbelievers
Bring before me what is mine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: war [Re: OldWoodSpecter]
    #4379783 - 07/07/05 12:58 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Murder is an organized sport. If everybody engages in it all of the time at random nothing would ever get done. So we have to direct our blood lust carefully. Seriously, though, there is honor in defending one's tribe against extermination. War is a mechanism for survival that is, unfortunately, still necessary. That said...it is worth noting that brutal, unjust things are often done in the name of liberty and survival...some are necessary...some are not.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineHarryFlashmanVC
That BeastlyFlashy

Loc: Suffolk, England
    #4379918 - 07/07/05 01:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

War? Huh?

What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.....

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: war [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4379945 - 07/07/05 01:35 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

It's funny how everyone, while thinking about war first thinks themselfs in the role of the one who is being attacked.

Wars are always started by people ATTACKING someone, while thinking they are defending their interests.

There are very few people in the modern world who thought of themselfs as attackers (hitler did maybe). It seems 90% of all people starting wars think they are defending their own people

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#4379967 - 07/07/05 01:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Vikings used to thrist for war, as it was a part of their religion. A large part of it was also decieving people, rather than simply using brute force. There are certain culture which views war as a positive element of existance.

Not saying that I agree with that, but just that there are civilizations which look at war in a good light.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4379991 - 07/07/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hitler did not attack the US...Japan did, but the US attacked Germany regardless. I bet they could have cut a deal with the Axis powers. Sometimes attacking is in your best interests. It doesn't matter if you attack or defend as long as you are protecting your tribe.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

Re: war [Re: HarryFlashmanVC]
    #4379998 - 07/07/05 01:48 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

HarryFlashmanVC said:
War? Huh?

Well its good for putting Germany in there place a handful of decades ago.

It is also good for driving technological innovation wich will someday be the salvation of this planet through our ability to move beyond the confines of this planet.

If we all sat around singing to each other nothing would get done and we'd still be wearing loin cloths and dying at the ripe age of 30.

Also good for establishing a hierarchy. Believe it or not hierarchies are needed or everyone would be a chief and again nothing would get accomplished.

But it is an uncomfortable, ugly SOB isn't it?

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: war [Re: Twirling]
    #4380032 - 07/07/05 01:59 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You are misinformed about the Norse people (Viking was a term that meant traveler). The Northern Expansion that took place between 793 A.D and 1066 A.D was the result of social upheaval in Scandanavia...not a religious oriented series of attacks, nor a brute display of force. In ancient Norse society farming was the standard means of support. The oldest son inherited the farm so the farm would not be split up. If siblings existed they were often jealous. To placate his brothers, a Norseman would give a sum of money to each brother to use to seek his own fortune. These people would purchase a boat and hire a crew. Then he would put out onto the sea to find his fortune. The reason their raids were so successful was that they had very shallow draft boats that could move up small rivers to attack at unlikely places. Most of the illuminated manuscripts of Europe that survived the Church's book burnings were saved because they had been captured by the Norse who were literate to the last and respected books. All "Vikings" wished to get enough money to become farmers. It is worth noting that the Norse had represenative democracies and gave women full and equal rights. They were an enlightened race taking advantage of turbulent times.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4380073 - 07/07/05 02:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
Hitler did not attack the US...Japan did, but the US attacked Germany regardless. I bet they could have cut a deal with the Axis powers. Sometimes attacking is in your best interests. It doesn't matter if you attack or defend as long as you are protecting your tribe.

I didn't say anything about US

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4380080 - 07/07/05 02:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

anyway. as for attacking to protect..

I'm not sure I understand. give me an example

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4380081 - 07/07/05 02:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You said:Wars are always started by people ATTACKING someone, while thinking they are defending their interests.

I was using it as an example of attacking to keep your country safe.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

Re: war [Re: mntlfngrs]
    #4380098 - 07/07/05 02:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mntlfngrs said:
Quote:

HarryFlashmanVC said:
War? Huh?

Well its good for putting Germany in there place a handful of decades ago.

It is also good for driving technological innovation wich will someday be the salvation of this planet through our ability to move beyond the confines of this planet.

If we all sat around singing to each other nothing would get done and we'd still be wearing loin cloths and dying at the ripe age of 30.

Also good for establishing a hierarchy. Believe it or not hierarchies are needed or everyone would be a chief and again nothing would get accomplished.

But it is an uncomfortable, ugly SOB isn't it?

If we need to kill each other to have better and better technology, then we don't deserve to have progress at all

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4380102 - 07/07/05 02:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
You said:Wars are always started by people ATTACKING someone, while thinking they are defending their interests.

I was using it as an example of attacking to keep your country safe.

Yes, but if nobody is attacking you, what are you making your country safe from?

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4380114 - 07/07/05 02:29 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I did not say I was being attacked...what are you talking about? In the case of World War 2 we were defending our country's interests financially and security wise. Attacking Germany was necessary to accomplish this.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4380118 - 07/07/05 02:31 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not talking about YOU, I'm saying You as in "one", any persone..

if one is not under any threat, how can attacking help his tribe be safe?

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4380130 - 07/07/05 02:34 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You can be the first to attack BECAUSE you are under threat. When I was a teenager there was a bully who kept harrassing me verbally every day. He never hit me, but eventually it became necessary for me to kick his ass to stop the harrassment. I could not reason with him as he was unwilling...I attacked him to protect my interests.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4380150 - 07/07/05 02:38 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

1. Acoarding to your story you are not the first one that attacked

2. I don't see how threatened you were. Your life was not in danger by words. YOu simply snaped and kicked his ass. That's not survival. That's anger and agression

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4380167 - 07/07/05 02:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I was the first to physically attack. My response was not a snap response. I tried to be his friend, then I warned him, and then I kicked his ass. My life was not in danger, but neither did I kill him. My measured response was appropriate in scale to the threat.

--------------------

OfflineOldWoodSpecter
waiting
Male

#4380183 - 07/07/05 02:45 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

but what threat? Are you easily ofended or what?

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#4380218 - 07/07/05 02:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Would you tolerate loud, harsh, verbal abuse on a day to day basis...I won't. I got too much else to do than listen to that kind of shit. In the Army I had a similar problem with a man who COULD kick my ass easily. I eventually won his friendship through reason. He was a good guy...he was just seeing how far I could be pushed.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Myyco.com Shop: Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale