Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineCaptain Loafy McPoopdick
(4 1 2)

Loc: 1 5 1 3 6
I lost my talent
    #4377962 - 07/06/05 10:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

This really makes me sad, it was the only thing I could do right. And now I can't draw. I try, but nothing looks realistic any more.
Now, i'm talentless. Maybe it will come back to me? I'm feeling shitty now. I have so many problems on my mind. I was going to draw to relief some stress, but I find myself getting frustrated

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: I lost my talent [Re: Captain Loafy McPoopdick]
    #4377989 - 07/06/05 10:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

well, as i'm sure you're aware of -- you can't force it.

it forces you when its ready.

Offlineadamj
Superhero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, CAN
    #4377995 - 07/06/05 10:55 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Lost your talent? Where'd you put it last?  :laugh:

Draw for at least an hour a day (or a couple? yeah!). After one month, compare your latest drawings to when you first began.

Lost your talent... just needs some warmin up!  :cool:

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
    #4378078 - 07/06/05 11:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

you just need to warm up

draw for about an hour a day for a couple days and you'll be back up to speed

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #4378097 - 07/06/05 11:23 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

inspiration tends to leave us at times, i dont believe it is talent lost.

just dont forget to embrace the rememberence of what you have already unleashed and remembered. creation is from the heart, and represents all that is truth.

it will remember itself.

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

OfflineSgtBob
 User Gallery

Re: I lost my talent [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #4381200 - 07/07/05 07:19 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

My old art teacher used to say that your art would start to really crap out before you broke through to a better level. so keep at it! cause without artist this planet would blow!

--------------------
Can the critics still deny that the geometry of matter is directly related to the harmonic interweaving of light itself? There is no substance, in the absolute sense. We live in a reality of un-reality; all is an illusion and the stuff that dreams are made of. Our physical world is nothing more than a resonating ball of light and shade."

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern."

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
    #4382398 - 07/08/05 01:02 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I get this way with my guitar and drum playing. I'll be stuck in this hole of no inspiration and begin to think of my playing as shitty and why I even bother practicing. I begin to think of my playing as cliche and as something anybody can do, but then out of nowhere this crazy riff or beat will surface and then the inspiration just comes flowing back. I'm pretty sure it happens to everybody.
It'll pass if your truly passionate about your art.

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: I lost my talent [Re: Harbinger]
    #4384659 - 07/08/05 05:12 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Maybe you have reached another level and your drawings really look great, but you see them as bad because you need to practice into that new level of talent.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

OfflineCaptain Loafy McPoopdick
(4 1 2)

Loc: 1 5 1 3 6
Re: I lost my talent [Re: freddurgan]
    #4385421 - 07/08/05 10:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You know, some people might think that is a joke. But what you say has truth, some what anyways. I think maybe my style has changed over the months, and now I have to adapt into the new "environment"

Ares, Thanks for the nice words :grin:. Most people don't understand my style of art, but it comes straight from the heart. What they don't understand is that, what is art without expressing individuality? or maybe I shouldn't say individuality, more like fantasy or belief. I tend to cover a whole piece of paper with random pictures with significant meaning towards eachother. something people just don't get.

Harbinger, :lol: I know exactly what you mean. Sometime i'll just draw a single line on paper and create it into one of my personal master pieces. Drawing is pretty similar to music IMO.

I just got this nifty book on Anatomy for fantasy artists. I'm going to create sometime soon haha. If I can, and if you'd like i'll post some pics.

Thanks everyone!

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4386390 - 07/09/05 09:31 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

or maybe I shouldn't say individuality, more like fantasy or belief.

I'm a bit confused as to what you're describing with this statement. Why are random things with significant meaning representative of fantasy or belief moreso than, well, anything else?

just curious.

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

#4386690 - 07/09/05 11:37 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Boiledmeatloaf said:
something people just don't get.

dont be so arrogant to think that anything you create is beyond the comprehension of others.... that's what ruins a lot of potentially great artists. If you truly had talent, and were a good artist, people would "get" exactly what you intended. Art is not about what you want it to mean, it's about what it means to the people who view it. Deal with it.

(sorry if that comes off a bit harsh, you just pushed one of my biggest buttons hehe)

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: I lost my talent [Re: Turd]
    #4386701 - 07/09/05 11:45 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Art is not about what you want it to mean, it's about what it means to the people who view it

arguable. that is one definition of art, but is by no means the most comprehensive one. As one example- the most respected art used to be erudite historical / mythological paintings. Academics would get it, but your common idiot wouldn't see that. The most talented artists simply did not do work for the common man- they did it either for themselves or for large commissions. Does the viewer's understanding really affect art?

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Re: I lost my talent [Re: vampirism]
    #4386737 - 07/09/05 12:02 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I don't believe it is arguable.

No art has just one meaning. Just because scholars may have understood the ritualistic values of ancient art doesn't mean they "get it" any more than the little girl who looks at it and see's an alien waltz. Nobody sees art the same as anyone else. It is purely subjective. If you look at a piece, and it means ANYTHING to you, it has succeeded as art. However, the truly great artists had such a perfect and complete grasp on their art form that they could shape their work so that almost anyone who saw it would at least get a very specific basic meaning from it.

Anything anyone has every drawn, sculpted, written, played, or anything else, can be considered art. Maybe not good art (shitty anime fan art, anyone?), but still art.

The most successful art creates epic stories in your mind. When I look at a Dali, or a Venosa, or a Bosch painting, I dont just see characters or trees or anything, I get sucked in and I explore every piece of it inside my imagination. I'd bet money that nobody "gets" Dali's Metamophosis of Narcissus like I do. That doesn't mean they dont understand it, it just means they don't understand it the particular way I do.

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

#4386754 - 07/09/05 12:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Here's another example of a great piece of art. This is by an artist by the name of Craig Mullins, one of the true masters of our generation. Look at the pic before you read the rest of my post.

LINK TO PIC SO I DONT HOG THIS GUY'S BANDWIDTH

I just pulled that pic at random from his site. This is just a quick "sketch" he whipped up. It's from the Dune universe. It is Baron Harkonen. Without knowing that fact, you probably have no idea what's "really" going on. But that doesn't matter. Whatever you read into the painting was correct. Whatever the characters said to you, whatever you might have thought they were all watching, is absolutely correct, because THAT is what art is all about.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4387631 - 07/09/05 06:26 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I don't believe it is arguable.

Oh? So then it is belief? Beliefs are arguable.

Quote:

However, the truly great artists had such a perfect and complete grasp on their art form that they could shape their work so that almost anyone who saw it would at least get a very specific basic meaning from it.

Simply put, no. Color has culturally imbedded meaning, not any inherent meaning. Form, symbols, EVERYTHING, are subjective in their interpretation and so getting into absolute specifics is both a bad idea and not possible at all purely from the art work itself, which you are suggesting is the very most important part.

Quote:

The most successful art creates epic stories in your mind.

How boring. You're the one making the stories, not the artwork. Do you really need someone else's creativity to think of something epic?

I get very suspicious when people start giving out absolutes ( "No, it is not arguable!" ) , and start naming great artists. I get even more suspicious when one of the names on that list is Dali. Who are you trying to fool, anyway?

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

#4387718 - 07/09/05 07:03 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hehe, I knew you'd bring up something like that. I was in a pretty agressive mood this morning and wrote a little more aggresively than I normally would. I still feel the same about the subject, though. Allow me to respond in a more respectful manner.

(I'm pretty stoned and in a very verbose mood... I hope someone takes the time to read all this, lol)

Oh? So then it is belief? Beliefs are arguable.
Please don't nitpick dictionary definitions of words. That has nothing to do with the discussion, because I'm sure you know what I meant. I will re-word my original "I dont believe it is arguable" so there is less room for irrelevant nitpicking.

I believe that every piece of art can have meaning to anyone. I don't think there is art that people can't "get". Boiledmeatloaf stated that people didn't get his art, and that hit me in a wierd way. How can he know nobody would "get" his art? Perhaps the symbols he used had very specific meanings to him and his memories, but is it not possible for someone else to see his image and get a similar over-all "vibe" from it?

By "I dont believe it is arguable", I meant that all art means something to just about anyone, and even if the paintings were ancient and a child couldn't possibly know the factual history of the images, who's to say that image didn't mean something to her? Who's to say she didn't get a feeling from it that was similar to that which the artist intended?

Reading your responses, I think you simply misunderstood what I was saying.

Simply put, no. Color has culturally imbedded meaning, not any inherent meaning. Form, symbols, EVERYTHING, are subjective in their interpretation and so getting into absolute specifics is both a bad idea and not possible at all purely from the art work itself, which you are suggesting is the very most important part.

Let me reiterate my point in this regard. I don't believe there are any absolute specifics, but I do believe that some of the better images out there use composition, color, and form in ways that a majority of the viewers will interpret in a similar way.

Here is another image of Mullins' that will help illustrate my point.

A truly great artist has the ability to shoot for evoking a specific emotion, and having a large portion of their audience feel it or something very similar. In the image I linked, there's a good chance that most people will get a moody feeling from it, maybe brooding, maybe calmness, perhaps some tension. Maybe only one of those, maybe all, maybe none. But in the people that did feel any of those, craig mullins has succeeded in evoking a particular emotion. I believe that the "better" an artist is, the more successfuly they can evoke a particular range of feelings with their work.

It's the same with all forms of art. Music, movies, writing. It's obvious that those 3 mediums (yes, I know there are more forms of art than that) all give the artist the ability to evoke very specific emotions, so why shouldn't the art of creating still imagery be the same? Is it somehow not as good?

How boring. You're the one making the stories, not the artwork. Do you really need someone else's creativity to think of something epic?

This is just silly. Do you really mean this? Are you saying that good artwork shouldn't invite some kind of interesting creativity when you see it? Is there something wrong with seeing an image and getting pulled into it, exploring it with your imagination?

I certainly don't need other people's art to imagine these epic stories, and the suggestion that I do is kind of an insult. I enjoy creating my own just as much I do experiencing others'. But I don't think you can say you don't enjoy looking at a great painting in a similar way. If you dont have that ability to look at art with that kind of an eye.... well you're really missing out.

I get very suspicious when people start giving out absolutes ( "No, it is not arguable!" ) , and start naming great artists. I get even more suspicious when one of the names on that list is Dali. Who are you trying to fool, anyway?

I used the names of more well known artists for the obvious reason that they are more well known. I wanted people who read the post to be able to recall particular paintings when I used an artist example. What good would it have done to name off some obscure artist that most people have never heard of? Most people have seen a Dali painting, and probably felt one way or another about it.

Anyway, I hope this gets read by someone. Ended up being way longer than I planned.

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4387860 - 07/09/05 08:01 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Reading your responses, I think you simply misunderstood what I was saying.

Not really. I just think everything is arguable, most especially art now that we've experienced a broad spectrum of self-aware art. I mean really, sentiment has just about nothing to do with how good something is, just how much you like it or what you make of it. The little girl can use her experience of the ancient however she pleases, but that won't make the ancient art any better or worse.

Quote:

It is purely subjective.

Not quite. Interpretation is subjective, but the artwork itself is quite objective. Many things in any work of art can be objectively concluded. This is the problem with discussing it- it isn't objective and it isn't really subjective either.

Quote:

I believe that the "better" an artist is, the more successfuly they can evoke a particular range of feelings with their work.

I certainly see what you're saying, but I just don't agree. Is art really all about feelings?

Aside from that, I think the art part of the artist is only about 5% -- i don't care how well a vision is executed or what the viewers care about it, if it's a stupid vision then it's a stupid vision. What makes art great IMO has to do with the clarity of vision ( note: i'm sticking to visual art. Far too many subtle differences if you introduce ALL art, especially since art is so vague it can mean absolutely anything human ). Not to say i like things to be well defined- far from it- I just think everything should feel extremely purposeful - even unpurposefulness.

Quote:

Let me reiterate my point in this regard. I don't believe there are any absolute specifics, but I do believe that some of the better images out there use composition, color, and form in ways that a majority of the viewers will interpret in a similar way.

Yes, and I understand your point, but again I disagree. In terms of the artifice in a work which is based simply on how the eye works ( eg linear perspective ), most people will see what is there. That, i think, is the *only* point which will hold true regardless of culture and belief. Emotion, thought, interest, all that stuff has everything to do with belief.

Quote:

This is just silly. Do you really mean this? Are you saying that good artwork shouldn't invite some kind of interesting creativity when you see it? Is there something wrong with seeing an image and getting pulled into it, exploring it with your imagination?

I'm saying it's good and fine to invite it, but that has nothing to do with something being great art. Note: Making up stories based on artwork is very different from exploring artwork with your imagination, which is a general thing. I'd much rather look at a piece that invites me to experience something interesting than something that invites me to think up bizaare things just because it's fun.

Quote:

I certainly don't need other people's art to imagine these epic stories, and the suggestion that I do is kind of an insult. I enjoy creating my own just as much I do experiencing others'. But I don't think you can say you don't enjoy looking at a great painting in a similar way. If you dont have that ability to look at art with that kind of an eye.... well you're really missing out.

My point is that i CAN look at it that way, but I don't like to because I appreciate art as art; not ideas or stories. In a sense, I think I have a more traditional view of art because I don't care one bit about obscure details, like all of bosch's stuff in his famous triptych, or dali's self-absorbed symbolism.

Hmm. actually, this is a good point about culture. Bah, nevermind that I'm not going to start guessing your culture to make a point.

Quote:

I didn't mention Dali because he's well known, I mentioned him because I find his work tedious and boring. And yet, every other joe loves him because of the "deep symbolism." Don't get me wrong, I like well-executed symbolism, but Dali's work is so damn empty. That's why I don't like most surrealist art- it falls short as art in order to make a point. Not to say I hate surrealism itself either-- Giacometti is considered a surrealist and is one of my favorites, sometimes my favorite.

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

#4387978 - 07/09/05 08:41 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I guess I look at art differently than most. I almost never think about dali's symbolism, I just love the surreal worlds he creates. Most of the art I choose to look at, I look at because I can stare at it for hours and hours exploring what I can make it become. I tend not to care about an artist's symbolism if it's anything more than a mood. I mean, it's ok if it's there, I just wont factor it into my interpretation. It's all about what it means to me. That said, I also appreciate an image that is very quiet, or very alive, or very dreary. I enjoy the purity of emotion they can sometimes invoke. With no backstory or context, I can focus entirely on the feeling.

This image, for instance, I can stare at endlessly. This one appeals to the art senses I've developed so well that staring it at almost feels like tripping.

Or even this one!

You make some good points, and after re-reading my post I realized I could have saved a lot of time and just said this:

All art is subjective, to some extent.

We all appreciate it in our own ways.... and it's discussions like this that help me appreciate it more.

OfflineTheAntiSatan
Stranger

Loc: Tir na Marachuan
    #4971935 - 11/23/05 09:42 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I've been in that situation for a while now, I just seem to have lost the passion for drawing that I once had. I used to spend hours a day just drawing, not anything in particular I just used to love doing it and getting stuff out of my head but lately I just have lost interest in it. I force myself from time to time to to keep in practice. I guess when I was back in school it was easy you where told to draw this or that, I don't particularly like showing what I do to other people ether so why do it?

I don't really like the word talent. I see myself as having a skill that I can use to communicate and I've nothing that I want to communicate or can't communicate using pen and paper.

--------------------
Guinness is good for you. So are multivitamins.

Offlineemptywisdom
simple being oflight
 User Gallery

Loc: Lemuria
    #4974159 - 11/23/05 09:23 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I think turd knows what he's talking about.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order