Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
Allergies blow!
    #4369940 - 07/04/05 04:54 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

So every year, without fail, I end up sick as a dog for almost 1/2 the summer. Right now isn't even the worst of the season (just wait till that ragweed starts pollinating...) and I'm already having to take days off work because of allergy attacks :crazy:

People without allergies don't know how good they have it!

If you don't have allergies: imagine having a head cold, 24 hours a day, for weeks or months on end. A cold that gives you pounding sinus-headaches, while your nose runs constantly and your eyes water like you're crying. Your eyes also swell up and itch like no mosquito bite ever has. You break into violent fits of sneezing at random points, usually several times an hour. The periods in between sneezing fits are a godsend, even WITH the headache and runny nose/eyes :thumbdown:

Medications do little to nothing. I have taken anti-histamines for at least 20 years now, and have never once found one that is worth taking. Some cost a lot ($25/30 pills) and still only take a little edge off the symptoms. Others have side-effects that can be worse than the allergies (lose/lose situation - can't work while you sneeze your brains out...can't work while the medication almost knocks you out). For all of them the only hope I have of getting any meaningful results is after taking 3-4 times the recommended dosage (which of course makes the side effects THAT much worse).

I just went to see a doctor, and am determined to get myself back on Allergy Injection Therapy as soon as medically possible. Now I have weekly injections to look forward to! Not ones I can give myself, though...it's not like insulin. I have to go to a doctor to have EACH injection, and I have to stay in the doctor's office for at least 30 minutes after EACH injection...so they can make sure I don't die from the injection (ever had anaphylaxis? It ain't fun!).

Oh the wonders of modern medicine :rolleyes:

(/rant)

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Edited by trendal (07/04/05 05:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblethegatewaydrug
my burning sunwill some dayrise

Loc: wherever i may roam
Re: Allergies blow! [Re: trendal]
    #4369945 - 07/04/05 04:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

iv never had allergies. alot of ppl i know do they always say it sucks really bad. i can imagine the itchy watery eyes, that must suck and the runny nose. damn, im so glad i dont have that

--------------------
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because i won't.

General George S. Patton
:paranoid:

InvisibleAbstractHarmonix
Love is like a train...
Female

Loc: The Sea
    #4369946 - 07/04/05 04:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

allergies blow, no pun intended...

--------------------
A plethora of music aspirations control my temptations of future revelations beyond "now". The percussion, and the heart beat of my love and devotion. The rhythm goes beyond, prying into the third eye, releasing the creativity held so far inside. The melodicies, through the out of tune pianos and broken classical guitars...there lies a beauty. A beauty as prevelent as the fire inside. To release these energies is pure ecstacy, to deveop these gifts is sacred. The vocality, so pure as can be, shying away from herself, lies within me. For the underlying serenitity, this is what I live for. I plea for harmony, and nothing more. Music equals love. Creation of love leads to the procreativity of the World, and it's spirals and puddles prevailing.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4369947 - 07/04/05 04:57 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Oh yeah and the injections...they aren't something you can do JUST during your allergy season!

It takes many months, around half a year, to build yourself up to a maintenance dose level. If you quit getting the injections for just two months you have to start back at Dose 0 all over again :frown:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Allergies blow! [Re: AbstractHarmonix]
    #4369953 - 07/04/05 04:58 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

XOIIAresIIOX said:
allergies blow, no pun intended...

:lol: I didn't even notice that!

--------------------

Invisiblethegatewaydrug

#4369956 - 07/04/05 04:58 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

so wait... if u get these shots u wont get allergies anymore? or is it just another "should" help kinda thing

--------------------

General George S. Patton

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Allergies blow! [Re: thegatewaydrug]
    #4369964 - 07/04/05 05:00 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

No, once I'm back on the AIT I don't expect to have any allergy symptoms at all anymore :smile:

I was on AIT a few years ago, for about 2.5 years, and did not have to take any antihistamines except on the days I got my injection (to help reduce my chances of a bad reaction to the dose).

AIT is a pain in the ass....but it's the only relief I've found for my allergies.

I'm such an idiot for stopping the first time.

--------------------

Invisiblethegatewaydrug

#4369967 - 07/04/05 05:03 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yea man get back on that shit, start shooting urself up again haha. but seriously if it works then u should do it, can u start over again like say tomorrow? just build up to it again

--------------------

General George S. Patton

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Allergies blow! [Re: thegatewaydrug]
    #4369975 - 07/04/05 05:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Naw it'll be a few weeks before I can get back on it.

I had to see a doctor today (general practisioner) just to get referred to an Allergist. Once I get in to see the allergist, I still have to get an allergy-test done (not cool) and then I can get back on the AIT :smile:

--------------------

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Allergies blow! *DELETED* [Re: trendal]
    #4369987 - 07/04/05 05:09 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#4369991 - 07/04/05 05:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah and the allergy test is no picnic, either!

You have to lay down on your stomach. They take little vials of PURE allergens and put drops on your back of everything they are testing for. Last time I had one done I think it was around 50 drops. Then they take a needle and make a small scratch in your skin under each drop of allergen.

Then the REAL fun begins...

You have to lay there, on your stomach, for 15 minutes while they leave the room. You can't move, or the drops will roll away and get mixed up. You can't scratch, though after about 1-2 minutes that is all you will think about doing.

Each little drop soaks into your skin through the small scratch, and each drop you are allergic to turns into a nice red welt that itches like you wouldn't believe!

Last time I had one done, I had a 4" diameter welt on my back from JUST the ragweed drop (my most allergic and hated of all substances is ragweed pollen). It rose up after about a minute, and stayed there pulsating with itchyness for the next 14 minutes until the nurse came back and thankfully applied some ointment to reduce the swelling/itching.

--------------------

Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Allergies blow! *DELETED* [Re: trendal]
    #4369995 - 07/04/05 05:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by blinkidiot

Reason for deletion: Im sorry

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Allergies blow! [Re: blink]
    #4369996 - 07/04/05 05:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

No I don't carry an epipen, but I don't run any risk of anaphalaxis under normal conditions.

AIT is where they inject you with the allergens you are allergic to. A nice concentrated solution of your most allergic substances, right into your arm. Because the allergens are absorbed in one MASSIVE dose, you run a high risk of a system-wide reaction (anaphalaxis).

That's why they make you sit and wait for 30 minutes after each injection - to make sure you don't leave and die on the sidewalk somewhere :wink:

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Allergies blow! [Re: blink]
    #4370000 - 07/04/05 05:15 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah I get ones on my arm, too, when I get tested. Those are mostly for food allergies, though.

Last time I got tested, I came up positive for "legumes" - like peanuts and peas. The allergist asked me if I ever ate peanut butter...I said yeah, all the time! He just said "oh...well you probably won't die if you eat any more, then!" :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleSkunk420
 User Gallery

Loc: inside
    #4370023 - 07/04/05 05:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I hate them too, I get them worse when the weather has been wetter, just like this year has been in Utah...but some days are better then others, the pollen and mold in the air is more then usual this year..
But what can you do? just deal with it I guess...I still will enjoy the weather anyway...reguardless of the allegies...

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Allergies blow! [Re: Skunk420]
    #4370037 - 07/04/05 05:32 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

If you don't mind getting needles, AIT is the way to go.

Zero symptoms, while on it. Was like I didn't have allergies :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom