Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinechargrt
journeyman
Electronic Music
    #436877 - 10/25/01 07:30 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

was just wondering what were some good electronic cd's that all y'all have...I just started my collection and have Swordfish by Oakenfold and Connected by Timo Mass...
PEACE

--------------------
Invoke the One together, so Both may disappear.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineProteus

Loc: Dallas, TX
Re: Electronic Music [Re: chargrt]
    #437536 - 10/26/01 09:47 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

oh lord - this could explode...

Personally, i dont feel swordfish is all that 'electronic' it's still a movie score to me... but i can see how it would be a groovy intro.
Tima Maas is a god amongst men. If you like his style of music - then get all of his other CD's too... there is no one else quite like Timo.
If you liked the Swordfish sound - get Okeenfol'ds Tranceport... Albeit an CD - it will serve you well.
Electronic music is suddenly the hottest trendiest thing going righ tnow - it has divided and subdivided itself up into countless silly genres... My advice - just start grabbing random CD's from the music store - - stay away from the cheap priced compilation albums and anything that says, "party-trance" or "rave till down" or some other stupid Time-Life sounding title. Look for anything that has these 2 words in the title, "Global Underground" This series of CD's is by far the most intelligent and consistent chronicling (sp?) of the electronic movement in music. Look for great DJ's like Sasha, John Digweed, Danny Tenaglia, Danny Howells, Nick Warren, Chris Fortier, Seb Fontaine (sorta), Deepdish... the list goes on and on.
Anyhow - the point is - experiment and listen to all the genres b/c they are all defintielt different: ie - DnB, Trance, House, Breakbeat, bla bla bla.... Then remember the names of the songs, their producers and their DJ's - and look for those names on other CD"S... you'll develop your own tastes this way.

I've been around all sorts of music and I have never seen a a type of music explode like this has with people pulling you from all directions telling you what to listen to...
listen to whatever feels good and makes sense...

For me - it's progressive house and trance - for others and yourself... who knows..

--------------------
There is the theory of the Mobius Strip

OfflineCynicalMagician
enthusiast
    #437556 - 10/26/01 10:16 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Bleh bleh bleh. Try and start getting away from CD's first of all, you'll find nothing but bad news there. Well, at least for decent prices. You sometimes run into good electronica in cd form but it's almost always in the ~20$+ range, and if you want to spend that, fine, but if you're looking for normal priced stuff, then Walmarts -RAEV LIFE 62 compiliation just isn't going to cut it... Get audiogalaxy or morpheus or whatnot and mission around downloading stuff. If you still feel the need for cds, look up local djs in town and get their mixes and promos. Frankly, I've personally heard far more talented djs than oakie and maas, but they aren't all over the cd racks.

Annnyway, if you're looking for the mix cd ish experience, here's a list of really good live sets:

Adam Freeland - Breezeblock DJ Set (breakbeats)
Chris Liberator - Live @ WEMF 2000 (acid trance/hard trance)
Czech - Str8up Breaks (funky breakbeats)
Dig Dug's album (don't know what it's called, but it's awesome two step/nu skool breaks)
DJ Dan - Another Late Night (funky house)
Donald Glaude - Live @ USC (everything... this is ~the~ best mix set I've heard. technical expertise up the wazoo)
Jon the Dentist - Live @ WEMF 99 (pansy trance similar to oakie, but better than oakie)
Hybrid - Live in Labyrinth - 2001 (wanna hear what radiohead sounds like mixed with trance? this is the mix)
Plump DJs - Live @ Love Parade 2000 (breakbeats.. really fun set)
Stakka and Skynet 23/05/01 Radio One - Reaaallly good futurestep drumnbass
John Kelly - Funky Deser Breaks vol. 1 (breakbeats)
Olav Basoski - Very Disco (disco house)

other people to check out, but depending on where you are you probably wont be able to find anything by them are: DJ Phyber, Shockwave, and Calvin Tang.

Now, obviously electronica doesn't end at mixes, so here are some really cool artists that have sweet tracks:

Amon Tobin, Lamb, Squarepusher, Spacer, Infected Mushroom, Shpongle, Adam Starr, Sasha & Digweed (careful with this one....), Anabolic Frolic (haha), Aphrodite, Autechre, Eufex, Dieselboy, EZ Rollers, Green Nuns of the Revolution, Juno Reactor, Bedrock, Underworld, Sun Project, The Orb (you can find these guys on CD for sure actually..), Mr Scruff, Christopher Lawrence, J Magick, or look for tracks by any of the artists that I mentioned for mixes, cause lots of them have really cool tracks as well.

ICQ me if you want... 24631249

--------------------
----------------------

"Order some golf shoes," I whispered. "Otherwise, we'll never get out of this place alive. You notice these lizards don't have any trouble moving around in this muck - that's because they have ~claws~ on their feet."

OfflineProteus

Loc: Dallas, TX
Re: Electronic Music [Re: CynicalMagician]
    #437719 - 10/26/01 01:51 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Man - D/L tracks is a good idea too.... I guess it's free that way. But fine stuff can be found on CD too - so don't totally discount them!
PLus - as you might find some stellar performances on morpheus or something... you wont find everything. Danny Tenaglia, for instance, is hardcore about *trying* to keep his stuff (esp. live) off of sites like morpheus b/c he gets no royalties... But thats a whole other can of worms.....

I'm sure that after reading the previous post - you got my drift as to the silly genres of electronic music.. It can be intimidating!
But just go with what feels good.... dont let your opinion be swayed b/c someone else calls the music you listen to cheese or pansy or tuff/electro/detroit/atmospheric/cloud-bubble/syntho-/nu-skool/florida breaks with oregano!

BTW, the best format to get this music is of course on vinyl (but is usually impractical) unless you're a DJ. I guess you could call me one.
I also had the pleasure of meeting and talking shop with a certain Timo Maas after I saw him DEVESTATE a dance floor in Dallas.... The man is truly a master of his craft. Unbelievable!

Peace and respect,
Paul Proteus

--------------------
There is the theory of the Mobius Strip

Anonymous

Re: Electronic Music [Re: Proteus]
    #438042 - 10/26/01 09:19 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

depends on what you like....
lemme give ya some examples of some good stuff

fluffy driving trance
dj tiesto (in search of sunrise) , ferry corsten, noel sanger, kimball collins

trance
sasha (i reccommend the global undergrounds), oakenfold (2yrs cream resident), chris fortier, Timo Maas (music for the Maases)

house
well theres deep house http://www.deephousenetwork.com/ and http://www.unrec.com/djdavidx/index.html
and http://www.unitedhousefront.com/index.php
all really good sites for deep house

mark farina is also an excellent house dj
along with roger sanchez, dj dano, josh wink

deep, trancy, proggressive, tribal
go wish anything by DEEP DISH these guys are incredible!!!!!!

drum n bass
aphrodite and dieselboy ....theres more but i have a limited selection in this area

atmospheric drum n bass
no one equals LTJ BUKEM... this man is incredible check out his progression sessions... or n e thing under produced under GOOD LOOKING RECORDS

florida breaks
my favorites are kelley reverb and dj icey

there is so much more............ stay away from new oakenfold tho (barf)
for a great listen check out http://www.ishkur.com/
and go under ishkurs guide to electronic music.... he has so many genres you can listen to.. find to your liking

let the music be your guide

OfflineTerribleInstict
Stranger
    #439809 - 10/28/01 08:54 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I had the privilage of dancing/tripping the night away with Jon the Dentist! What an awesome DJ. Look him up on audiogalaxy, he's got some kick ass tracks. Great trance dj....try the tracks Pyramid, Global Phases, and Fifth Element. But there's lots more. Another cool guy is Aphex Twin, his type of music is called "intelligent dance music" don't ask me why but man his mix of the Star Wars Theme is cool:) And Speed Racer too!

Invisiblejanuary77
    #439856 - 10/28/01 09:38 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

if you aren't scared...
DJ Krush "Zen"
LTJ Bukem "Producer 01"
\
start there

--------------------
America is not innocent

OfflineD_Tox
Boddhisattva

Loc: Lab 23
Re: Electronic Music [Re: january77]
    #446043 - 11/03/01 07:56 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

check out anything by Infected Mushroom

--------------------
-----------------------
D_Tox

to understand other people….to be aware
to understand animals….to be a decent person
to understand plants….. to be a refined individual
to understand the mushroom…to be enlightened

OfflinePurpleNight
Stranger
Re: Electronic Music [Re: Proteus]
    #446390 - 11/04/01 05:12 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

oh Great we have a crises. we need more Muzik for Trippin.......
there is alot of muzik that i love to listen to when i trip and everything, but that was while i was in the states, and now that i am here in Germany, i have found so much more. there is a whole great selection in Amsterdam, if you could ever get there or get anyone there that you know. for me i listen to all of the good trance, and jungle muzik.
here is a little list that i like to listen to when i am trippin.

Darude, with Sandstorm... its a German DJ he is Awsome, he even has a trance style to that song.
Meuro Picotto, with Komodo.... he is another German DJ that is great.
Sylver with the Turn the tide song, but the better trip version is called the Airscape remix, it was her fav mix.
Happy2bHardcore chapters 1-5 the best chapter is chapter 4 tracks 10-12.
Alpha Team, which the best one on there is DJ Keoki, i saw him live in Kansas City Mo, when i was living there he gave a 2 day and all night concert, it was the bomb.
another Diva that i love is Trixxy, from HAPPY2bHARDCORE, but i love her counterpart also which is Brisk from Happy2bHarcore also.
the best person in the Techno Buisness that i love and have the most Respect for is Carl Cox, i went to Chicago, and seen him live during the Pitch Black Rave, that they held 2days before the movie hit the market, and he was the best one there.
Moby is another great artist that you should try to listen to when you are tripping or Rolling... he can put you into one hell of a trance, or just mellow you out so much when you are rolling on E and you just want to feel like you are out of this world.
if you want a great trance cd, its called an antholgy to Organic Trance ..... the cd title is PsyTrance, and Antholgy to Organic PsyTrance.
a great cd that i am not sure if you can get it back in the states is called the Love Committee, it has this years theme song from the Love Parade held in Berlin Germany.
if you can ever get the chance to go there and see the love Parade, and be part of it, you would never forget it, because there are ppl just walking around passing out acid, shrooms, and all types of Ex that you could only imagine.
Scincerly PurpleNight.
Let The Night Carry You Into A World Of My Fanstasy's
a Quote By PurpleNight.

Offlinebobbydigital
Re: Electronic Music [Re: PurpleNight]
    #446686 - 11/04/01 01:42 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

i used to listen to trance (digweed, van dyke, micro, scott henry, george acousta), but i really couldn't dance to that shit. Give me some disco house and i can break.
However if you want to listen to music, Jungle/Drum and Bass is where it's at. 187, Aphrodite, Grooverider, DJ DB, DJ Dara, Dj Krust, Bad Company, Fabio, Dilinja, Ed Rush, Optical, Dj Trace, Zinc, all are good Djs. More recently I have gotten into ragga which is jungle music, with reggae mixed into it. It is fucking sick. Dj SS, Mickey Finn, and the greatest Dj Hype.
Get on Aimster and download Dj Hype Drum & Bass vol 3. it is probably my favorite track on my computer.
peace

--------------------
stuck to yo ass like a Victoria Secert wedgie!!

OfflineHARRY
journeyman
Re: Electronic Music [Re: bobbydigital]
    #447450 - 11/05/01 06:20 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

bobbydigital.......just recomending some other drum and bass artists for you coz u seem interested........I live in England and here Drum & Bass is quite big in the underground scene, and most of the dj's you've mentioned are from london.

you've missed a few very good djs and crews.......there's Andy C: very heavy, dark drum and bass; excellent
Kenny Ken: he goes through the old-skool drum and bass and jungle he does many raves here and is very popular.
2 Bad Mice: also very good producers of crazy old-skool jungle rave tunes.
if u like ragga and jungle in general check out DJ RAP, (her old stuff) and Flytronix (scary jungle), also the intelligent jungalist.
If you like the stuff by 2 bad mice, and/or like jungle rave music, (quite funny and enjoyable, but not much depth to it) check out mixes by The Rat Pack: they were at the forefront of ilegal rave culture in england and have been arround for a long time.
If you want to test some experimental, crazy jungle listen to squarepusher and some stuff by Aphex Twin; the music is really not that aesthetically pleasing but is very interesting 2 listen to!

P.S. I really dont know how widespread D&B is in the US, but the main interest in the music lies when it is played in a rave; it creates a very thick, heavy atmosphere, you really cant help but dance to it, and if it's a dark set, then there is a very exciting juxtraposition of enjoyment and the very dark and heavy atmosphere....it's great.

OfflineWarped_Ventricle
journeyman
    #447452 - 11/05/01 06:27 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I like hard house a lot. Check out lisa lashes.

Offlinebobbydigital
Re: Electronic Music [Re: HARRY]
    #447618 - 11/05/01 11:06 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Harry,
Thanks for the tips. I have heard of Andy C, and have a tape of his I bought at a rave. It is hard to buy Rnglish DnB over here, alot of teh artists don't make it over the atlantic. I love the dark hard drum n bass, but the only way to get it over here is on vinly, which gets very expensive. I have some Ed Rush & Optical, Bad Company, Dj Rap, Dj Hype and Dilijna on vinly and spin them whenever I get my hands on some turntables. Most of the music I have I have downloaded off Aimster/Napster. I download it and burn it on CDs. The other way to get sets is by buying English tape sets at raves.
I have a friend going to London on thursday and I gave hive $50 to pick me up some tapes or Cds of Mickey Finn, Dj SS, Andy C and Dj Hype. I like the dark ragga a lot, I just don't hear it over here that much. The american DnB is slower, the djs spin a different kind of sound. However a lot more english tracks are coming over here and getting played. I would love more advice about music, if you want e-mail me, I have alot of music if you might want to trade, or just see what the US dnb scene is like.
peace

--------------------
stuck to yo ass like a Victoria Secert wedgie!!

OfflineSilvermoon
Stranger
    #447802 - 11/05/01 02:27 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Trance is the "Pop" of electronica. Get down with the underground of detroit and NYC techno. Frankie Bones, Adam X, Juan Atkins, Drexciya, Aux 88, Detrechno, Jeff Mills, David Clark, Derrick May, and Underground Resistance will take you to places you thought electronic music could never go.

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
Re: Electronic Music [Re: Silvermoon]
    #448077 - 11/05/01 06:55 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

If anyone wants to trade CD-R's full of trance/dj/house/ambient MP3's, pm me!

--------------------
I got a buddy with United Fruit, get ya started...

Trade List

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Electronic Music [Re: Mighty Bop]
    #448601 - 11/06/01 01:43 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Give GABBER a try...

Come to the dark side...

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
Re: Electronic Music [Re: GabbaDj]
    #448616 - 11/06/01 01:58 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

WOW, huh electronica TGA's here
TGA = tough guy act

Anything that proclaimes its self as a certain "sound", or can be easily cadigorized, is not origial, and is trying to be part of a certain sound or trend, therefore has massive suck Potential, unless of course they are the ones who invented the "sound" that so may electro hacks, and Lame DJ's are trying to leech off of.

Try some KRAFTWERK, they pretty much invented electronic music. Their early stuff sounds like nintendo games, but cool none the less, they rock.

ORBITAL makes all kinds of music, doesn't restrict themselves to one kind, plus they basically reinvented epic trance. Seen them live they ROCK love 'em

AIR is the masters of ambiant funk, however never resticted to. I fucking love these guys with a passion, then again i ;ove all these guys.

If you really want something good, try some new wave Trance Fusion, a type of electronic music played in conjuction with actual real instements(beyond a synth, no offence everyone else), pioneered by musical genusis., yep you guessed it:

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

InvisibleMeltingPenguin
Pooh-Bah

Loc: new england
Re: Electronic Music [Re: Silvermoon]
    #448617 - 11/06/01 02:00 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

NYC techno, lol is that a joke?

--------------------
Growing anything is good for the soul

OfflineTraveller
enthusiast
    #448675 - 11/06/01 05:21 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

dark hard drum & bass! speed it up slow it down call it dub, ragga trip hop hip hop jungle whatever but that deep bassy funky shit with the fat beats is where it's at!!

god i hate all the crap though, perfectly good drum loops sped up too fast with a three note bass line and some pathetic sample played over and over too fast so the voice sounds like a fuckin chipmunk?

hey last year I was blessed enough to hear a track called "flowers"....anyone know it and could you tell me who it's by? bliss! pure, sweet, absolute ecstasy listening to that...fairly well gone on six of those tiny little hawaiian mushrooms. i love them, they've gotta be the strongest shrooms, so small but so tough!

Offlinechargrt
journeyman
Re: Electronic Music [Re: Traveller]
    #448864 - 11/06/01 10:32 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

WoW...you guys rule! Thanx for all the rec's...i'll be busy downloading and learning the scene!

PEACE

--------------------
Invoke the One together, so Both may disappear.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag