Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Double tray method - anyone like this?
    #4358814 - 07/01/05 08:50 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not sure if anyone has tried this but its a new method of casing I've explored. Begin by buying a two-pack of extra large lasagna trays. In one tray prepare your casing of choice as desired. Next, take both the empty tray and prepared tray into glove-box and case as desired. Now, in the lasagna tray that has been prepares with substrate etc poke a few holes in each corner using a sterilized fork. In the second empty tray, lay several clothespins on their side. I soak my clothespins in hydrogen peroxide before using for this. Now fill the tray with clothespins in it with hydrogen peroxide until there is approximately 1/8 inch liquid in the bottom. Now sit your substrate tray into to second tray so that it remains elevated on the clothespins above the hydrogen peroxide. They should form a near airtight fit where they intersect. I like this method because I have had green mold move in recently and I think it likes to breed on the bottom of the tub and move in through my drainage holes. I thought this would be a nice way to collect drainage water and keep it from attracting contamination. Its worked VERY well. I change my hydrogen peroxide in the bottom whenever the water level looks like its getting too high, that's the only maintenance. Hope others find this method helpful. I'd love to hear some feedback.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Double tray method - anyone like this? [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #4358850 - 07/01/05 09:10 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I'd imagine it would also slowly evaporate into the holes? Have you noted any problems if the water level gets up to the tray with substrate, so the substrates sitting in a little water.

Your talking putting holes in the bottom of the pan with the casing in the corners right?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Double tray method - anyone like this? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4358992 - 07/01/05 09:55 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I like it. It would be nicer if you had 2 plastic container which sat in one another. THe bottom could be clear to see what is going on inside. If you cannot get a clear and coloured one you could paint the outside of the top one. I see no really problem with it evaporating into the top, does h2o2 evaporate as h2o? It will be decomposing to oxygen which is good. Have you tried a bottom layer of verm to take up excess water on your casings?

I was thinking of a bottom layer of perlite on my casing, to both take up drainage and humidify.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
    #4359000 - 07/01/05 09:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

are you sterilizing your casing enough? If it works for you though, doesn't seem like it would hurt.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Double tray method - anyone like this? [Re: soochi]
    #4359101 - 07/01/05 10:35 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I didnt say evaporation would be a PROBLEM, but a benifit...the holes in the pan basically, like putting a moist verm layer in the bottom of the casing, but a little different...

I dont think clear would be the best, even though you could see whats going on. If you ever want to look, you can just lift the casing. If you use a clear container though, the h202 will be exposed to light, breaking it down. The oxygen will be good, but plain water will be left, which you dont want under there. The tin foil should keep out the light though and slow the process down.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Double tray method - anyone like this? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4359381 - 07/01/05 12:00 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for feedback. I really like the idea of a clear bottom so you could watch the water level better. I have seen glass trays that would work really well. I also like the fact it decomposes releasing oxygen. I suppose you could alternate clear or opaque depending on needs. In relation to my former problems, I think I just got sloppy and many times I was gone for music festivals so they went unattended and spores got everywhere and weren't immediately cleaned up. In any case I like this new method, makes monitoring water quantity and quality easy.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#4359427 - 07/01/05 12:08 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

through my drainage holes.

Greenie likes it wet...you shouldn't even need drainage holes...

I've had green a lot as well, glove box and lots of alcohol got rid of it for the most part...

Seems to me that (IME n e ways) wbs loves greenie...

I thought maybe it might be a bit more acidic or something....er maybe just has more endospores than most other grains...

Nothing like a nice experiment thought...:thumbup:

-Gnostic

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags