Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOJ
old hand
Tips on Identifying wood loving mushrooms?
    #435820 - 10/24/01 07:22 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, well i wanted to know some usefull things you guys use to identify wood loving mushrooms like cyans and stuntzii?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEugenian
Stranger
Loc: OR
Re: Tips on Identifying wood loving mushrooms? [Re: OJ]
    #435995 - 10/24/01 10:50 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Bruising Bluish, spore print Dark purple or Blackish, Also the thin film on the top of the cap...Whats that called...I dunno..Don't have my book here.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #436010 - 10/24/01 11:08 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

It's the separable gelatinous pellicle eugenian, hehe, just rolls off the tongue. I've just found my first psilocybes in the past 2 days, stunzii and baeocystis, but here's how I ID'd them. Stunzii I ID'd by the blue ring, whitish stem with light bluing at the stem base, substrate (rich potting soil in a flowerpot), growth habit (clusters of fruits) and the spore print of course. The baeos turned blue quickly when bruised, otherwise have whitish stems, olive colored caps, a separable gelatinous pellicle :), no veil remnants on the stem, and were growing under a rhododendron, I didn't notice any woodchips in the soil but I'll look closer tomorrow. They look exactly like the pic of baeos in PMOTW. Anyway I'm just a newbie at picking psilos, but that's what I'm going on :).

DH

Edited by DethHed (10/25/01 10:35 AM)

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #436185 - 10/25/01 03:52 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

they grow on wood :wink:

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #436429 - 10/25/01 11:32 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I'll show you next week, OJ! hehe!
We're gonna find lots of mushrooms, 'lil bro!
In the meantime, remember that Psilocybes tend to turn really dark or black even towards the very edges of the cap.
If you find them in the rain or the day after a rain, while the sky is grey and the sun hasn't dried them out, the cap will have a noticeble lines from the center of the cap that continue to the edge of the cap(Actually, the gills showing through the somewhat transparent cap). Also, the mushroom will have a seperable gelatinous pellicle(I'm sure you already know this!), but seriously, it looks like a very thin layer of colorless jello!
Ps. cyanescens and Ps. Stuntzii(Two of the wood-loving species) can not only be found in wood-chip mulch, but also in grass and even dirt! I have only found these two species in grass before, except last weekend when I found Ps. cyanescens in the woods under alder trees and blackberry bushes. I literally had to move every single leaf and weed to the side, etc. to harvest these bad boys. Also, I wouldn't have considered looking, if I hadn't seen a slight gllimpse of a couple of orangeish colored circles in the weeds! Check that picture out! I walked all the way back to my car to grab my camera, before I even touched those mushrooms, man! I took the pictures, even before I positively IDed them(Although, I got that magical little electrifying notion in my mind the first time I glanced! hehe!).
OK, cyans will in fact bruise wherever you touch them! I only used the end of my thumb to tilt the cap back, just to look at the gilll structure and color, etc., and less than a minute later, there was an almost black bruise where my thumb was! And this mushroom was still a part of its mycelium.
The gills will be a light-greyish color when young, becoming more dark-bluish when it gets older, due to its reproducing and dropping spores.
Ps. Stuntzii will have a small ring around it's stem, usually about 1/3 of the way down the cap. The color is usually a very light blue, not all blue, mostly white with blue hints from the spores!
Both Ps. Stuntzii and Ps. cyanescens will become flat, then wavy in age and look a whole lot alike. Ps. Stuntzii's cap will be more of a tan-olive, whereas Ps. cyanescens will vary from bright-orange to a tanish-orange with hints of green.
Also, Psilocybes are very strong mushrooms, OJ. You can bend them and they'll usually form themselves back into their original shape, sorta rubbery!
That's all I can think of right now, man! I'm tired and this post is probably longer than most of my others! Hehe!
Stay cool!-Levi7.

OfflineOJ
old hand
Re: Tips on Identifying wood loving mushrooms? [Re: Levi7]
    #438809 - 10/27/01 07:00 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for all the info :)

OfflineTypingwords
Veteran Seasonal PNW Hunter
I'm a teapot

Loc: seattle-ish area, WA
    #439086 - 10/28/01 03:32 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

sure, no problem buddy........oh and here's a little more...........look for the stuntzii in healthy green grass rather than in wood chips because you'll find them easier, and you'll find a lot more because they'll be spread all over in the grass(hopefully). Look for the cyans in wood chips of course, because you'll never find them just randomly looking in the forest or something, unless you're a lucky bastard like Levi! believe me, I've tried....

--------------------
everything everyone everywhere.
forever and ever

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale