Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGatorB
Stranger
Loc: Southeast Tennessee
WBS frustration: WTF am I doing wrong? Any input appreciated
    #4349995 - 06/29/05 09:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I recently began my third attempt at grains with Morning Song WBS.

The first two times, everything contammed.  I had everything from green mold to black mold.  In one jar, when I opened it, everything EXCEPT grains on the outside was completely black and black dust shot up everywhere. :shocked:

This was my third attempt and I only did 4 jars; no reason to do more when my failure rate has been 100%. 

I disinfected and cleaned my entire kitchen.  I worked underneath a flowhood.  This was all done on 6/25, and here are some pictures of what I have now:

Looks like green mold in the upper right to me.

Is this even myc?  It looks like grey matter to me, with a hint of green.

More green mold, I presume.

Anyway, here was my process:

After completely sterilizing my kitchen, I soaked the WBS for about 18 hours or so in regular tap water.  Only tap water was used. 

Grains were then simmered for 20-25 minutes.  I noticed that many of them had burst.

I loaded up the jars with the WBS.  I put a layer of tyvek over the mouths, and the lids were put on.  The lids were plastic, and had polyfill holes.  I then rubber-banded two coffee filters over each jar.

The jars were PCed at 15 PSI for approximately 80 minutes.

After jars had cooled, they were inoculated with LCs.  Two jars were innocc'ed with PESA, two with Cams. They were then placed immediately in the incubator with temps at about 82.  Jars were handled some to observe growth.

Now, I realize that there are a multitude of factors that could cause failure.  However, any suggestions or input would be appreciated.  Some things I have thought about:

Could there be some chemical/substance in the WBS that is causing contam?

Could using tap water be causing my problems?

Are my grains too dry/Should I add water in my jars before PCing?

Are my LCs worthless?

Am I mistaking bruised myc as a mold?

Here are some pics from the previous [failed] attempts:

I'm stuck at this point and I need any and all help. :confused:  Thanks.

Edited by GatorB (06/29/05 09:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinescarymidgets
hobbies consumeyou or youconsume them..
 User Gallery

Loc: brains bad
Re: WBS frustration: WTF am I doing wrong? Any input appreciated [Re: GatorB]
    #4350015 - 06/29/05 09:50 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

try pcin at 15 for 2 hours

could be that the LC is contaminated try wiping alchol on the lids before you inoculate

an keep one jar that's been pcd see if anything grows

if its your LC only the jars you shoot up will get contamd might have to start over

if you got any completely colonized jars i would suggest doin some grain to grain transfers in a glove box

that way if it is your LC you'll still have some more viable jars to use

--------------------
PLs People this a drug info site some people may be on drugs. /flameing might make you feel smart but makes you look dumb.

cant stop me if i eat your soul.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4350025 - 06/29/05 09:53 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Brand of WBS seldom matters.
So long as the WBS isn't treated with fungicide.

Give those jars a bit more time to grow out, whatever it is.
Then post more pics. As is, its tough to tell what that growth is.

LC's right after inoculating tend to start out colonizing a bit off white or almost gray, then as they get established, the myc turns white.

Your procedures sound good, other than no need to simmer - as you did (causes to many burst seed/grains).

After soaking, a simple steep in hot water adds a bit more moisture & doesn't burst the seed grain.

In the end, if you are growing funky contam's, I would guess the LC's are tainted. Don't agitate your LC's, & see if anything other than myc starts to grow out - inside them.

--------------------

OfflineGatorB
Stranger
Re: WBS frustration: WTF am I doing wrong? Any input appreciated [Re: scarymidgets]
    #4350026 - 06/29/05 09:53 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I wiped everything down with alcohol after PCing.

OfflineGatorB
Stranger
    #4350027 - 06/29/05 09:54 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks agar--will do.

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
    #4350039 - 06/29/05 09:59 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

personally i think your problem is with the moisture content. the seeds aren't suppose to burst. the seeds are suppose to be hydrated and absorb water, not have so much water that they burst. a few bursted is fine but not a shit load.

P.S. nice avatar agar... kinda looks like dr. phil

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: WBS frustration: WTF am I doing wrong? Any input appreciated [Re: thenewguy05]
    #4350097 - 06/29/05 10:20 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I think the problem is way way to wet. Seeds should look dry on the outside, and shake easily, those look like they clump if you just roll the jar upsidedown (instead of shaking, just slowly turn it upside down, do all the grains fall from one another or does it stay in a clump/s?).

I'd simmer for only about 10 minutes, and try adding some verm. Check out the grain prep in my signature..its for fruiting not spawning so I'd reverse the ratios of rye/wbs (25% rye/75%wbs for spawning).

Too wet, wasnt casuing contams though, you have other issues as well, during the sterilization or inoculation procedures...probably inoculation (or what was used to inoculate with).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineGatorB
Stranger
Re: WBS frustration: WTF am I doing wrong? Any input appreciated [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4350104 - 06/29/05 10:22 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Oh wow. I was worried that my WBS was too DRY. I almost overkilled as far as the moisture content; next time I won't simmer, I'll just soak.

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: WBS frustration: WTF am I doing wrong? Any input appreciated [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4350312 - 06/29/05 11:35 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Is it possible to get the grains too dry?

I mean if you strained for like a couple of hours to where there was just a small bit of moisture. Most of the water has been soaked up inside the grain, so would that be alright to use after draining for that long?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: WBS frustration: WTF am I doing wrong? Any input appreciated [Re: CLUTCH]
    #4350348 - 06/29/05 11:40 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Grains left to sit out for to long, will start to dry out. They are probably 70% water after hydrated, so unless your in a really humid place, the air will be drier then the grains and the air will slowly dry out the grains. If you leave them until they look dry on the outside, thats fine..just dont leave them for like 12 hours or something. 1-2 is enough, though it only takes like 20-30 minutes if you get efficient (my grain link shows some tips, like the strainer and letting it steam).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineCLUTCH
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#4350363 - 06/29/05 11:43 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I had the same problem with a few jars.

I never did pinpoint the problem. I was using the same Birdseed as you though- Morning Song. hmmm....

Here's what mine looked like. Watch out for that black shit. It is black mold and very dangerous to inhale.

and

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder