Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

"Easy Mycelium Tek" -- what are your experiences and opinions?
    #4349829 - 06/29/05 08:10 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The Easy Mycelium Tek amazes me with it's simplicity.

-------------------------------
Easy Mycelium Tek

This is the easiest way to grow mycelium.
What you will need:

* 1 quart jar with lid
* wheat grain (enough to fill the jar 3/4 full)
* water
* wax paper
* microwave
* spore print, syringe or the black stuff from the bottom of a bag

The Procedure:

1. Fill the jar 3/4 full with wheat grain
2. Fill with water 1/4 the way up the grain
3. Cover top of the jar with wax paper and nuke it for three minutes, trust me, it's sterile. Cover with lid, shake, and let cool.
4. Introduce inoculum, just remove the lid and drop the spores in. Replace lid and shake.

And that's it in a nutshell, just wait 5-10 days and it should begin colonization. Don't worry too much about sterility, 99% of my jars come out uncontaminated. On a side note, you might see a little blue contamination on the eyes of some of the wheat, DON'T WORRY, it dies as soon as the jar becomes fully colonized. For the people who want to actually grow fruiting bodies just follow the steps in the illustrated magic mushroom growers guide and you should end up with the same final product. (Note: if following the IMMGG just replace the rye with wheat.) Happy shrooming!:)
? 1997-2004, The Shroomery. All rights reserved.

-------------------------------

I'm an ODD mod and often try to persuade people to grow their own mushrooms from the spores of a baggie. Now this TEK has me blown away with simplicity.

1...No fancy procedures: easy as pie
2...No fancy equipment: supermarket stuff + microwave
3...Spores from your bought shrooms

Now this likely has a higher failure rate.. But what are your experiences? What is you semi-professional opinion about it? If it works, even just 1/10 times it looks like a perfact way to turn a n00b onto growing their own.

If you use this to spawn soaked, bleach pasteurized (a la mushroomfarm) straw in a bag, then take it out and fruit in a large plastic tank, it earns no elegance prize but it looks like a great way to give a n00b confidence to actually buy the pressurecooker and build the fruiting chamber with the fancy gimmicks for optimal growth conditions. It also multiplies spores manifold and opens the gate to sterile spore collection etc.

3 minutes of nuking for a QUART jar? That sounds like a short pasteurization rather than sterilization if you ask me. But if it tends to completely overwhelm typical contams it might make good spawn.

What are your experiences and expert ideas? Can this be done with a high success rate? Are there other ultrasimple TEKS you'd like a n00b using to gain confidence?

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: "Easy Mycelium Tek" -- what are your experiences and opinions? [Re: Asante]
    #4349837 - 06/29/05 08:14 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Sounds good...anything that can get more people into spreading the word of these great plants is good by me!

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: "Easy Mycelium Tek" -- what are your experiences and opinions? [Re: myndreach]
    #4349857 - 06/29/05 08:25 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

doubt it to work .. seriously ..
its grain and the mic max gives it 100C .. endospores say HA HA to that ..

my opinion is get a pressure cooker and stay safe.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
    #4349861 - 06/29/05 08:26 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i agree with you on the whole fact of its a good way to turn a noob into a cultivator but when i was learning how to cultivate i learned so much and grew a great since of respect for shrooms due to all the time i immersed myself in them. then you have the whole idea of you take someone who knows nothing about shrooms and they get a contam that is harmful and just dont know any better and it hurts them in the long run.

i dont personally see a high success rate with this for 3 reasons.
#1 microwaves vary to much in power to just give a 3 minute time frame, so its not reliable
#2 once it is "sterilized" you open the jar rexposing the sterile substrate to contams.
#3 if you were to use baggy spores then the spores could have contams already in with them.

i personally feel that you need to put the time into the project to gain the confidence of growing your own shrooms. also you get alot of pride when your very first flush comes after all those hours youve spent.

so is it a way to spread the joys of cultivating? yes. but i think the risks of contaminations should be looked at. so if you were to do this method i think you should be very familiar with contams and IDing them, just to save yourself.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Edited by lemon_lw (06/29/05 05:37 PM)

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
    #4349932 - 06/29/05 09:13 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think you'll find many supporters of this tek. Harvesting for mycelium only has never really gained popularity, because for a few more bucks and a bit of reading you can crank out real mushrooms.

I have my doubts about nuking grains as well. Overall, both teks look very weak to me, and I wouldn't recommend them to a noob. The sterile practice just isn't there. People have been trying to avoid using PC's forever, and it typically never goes anywhere.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: "Easy Mycelium Tek" -- what are your experiences and opinions? [Re: Holydiver]
    #4349957 - 06/29/05 09:24 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

DIVER speaks the truth.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale