Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
The Velvet Illusions - "Acid Head" (mp3)
    #4339854 - 06/26/05 05:37 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

You guys are cool, right?  :shiftyeyes:  Ok good, I have two songs from The Velvet Illusions you might want to try.  The first song, Acid Head is good for a few reasons.  First of all, it has a good title and subject.  Second, it's a good song.  Third, I have my doubts about whether this group had never taken LSD before, which is funny considering they wrote a song condemning it.  Check out the lyrics..........

Quote:

"She wakes up in the morning and pretends she doesn't need the fix that will help her on her long long trip, in search of peace of mind. 
And when she feels she can't go on, she simply says she isn't strong enough to fight the crutch she needs so much.

She wakes up in the morning, taking pills that she don't need.
The poor girl's merely living in a dream.

She wakes up in the morning and she gets a feeling deep inside.
So she reaches for her box of drugs which get her feeling fine.
But she don't know the reason why she gets a bigger urge each time.
The poor girl needs a needle or she'll die.

The poor girl's merely living in a dream

She wakes up in the morning and pretends she doesn't need the fix that will help her on her long long trip, in search of peace of mind. 
And when she feels she can't go on, she simply says she isn't strong enough to fight the crutch she needs so much.

The poor girl's merely living in a dream."

The second song is called Velvet Illusions.  The group is singing about themselves and touring from town to town.  I think it rocks.  Here's what Borderline Books says about The Velvet Illusions..............

Quote:

Velvet Illusions
    Go to Top

Personnel incl:
JIMMY JAMES (RANDY BOWLES) ld vcls A B
BRUCE KITT gtr A B
GEORGE RADFORD sax A B
STEVEN WEED vcls, multi-instruments A B
JON JUETTE drms B

45s:
1 Acid Head/She Was The Only Girl (Tell Int'l 700 A) 1967
2 Acid Head/She Was The Only Girl (Metro Media 307) 1967
3 I'm Going Home To Los Angeles/Town Of Fools (Metro Media 308) Jul. 1967
4 Velvet Illusions/Born To Be A Rolling Stone (Metro Media 309) Aug. 1967

An excellent L.A. psychedelic band. Their first and fourth 45 'A' sides, Acid Head and Velvet Illusions are both superb garage-punk classics, and have been heavily compiled. Acid Head shares similar ground with The Rolling Stones Mother's Little Helper, telling the tale of a young-girl's struggle with drug-addiction, with a memorable driving melody, military style drumming and raga-esque guitars. Velvet Illusions, the bands theme-tune, is more frantic, with a Red Krayola mechanical beat, upfront bass, shrill penetrating organ and great guitar work.

Second drummer, Jon Juette recalls:- "I remember our studio was very close to the Hollywood Bowl and some of us would sneak over there dreaming of playing there someday. Randy Bowles was our lead singer and went by the stage name of Jimmy James. Our sax player was George Radford, the son of our groups manager and agent. The rhythm guitar was played by Bruce Kitt. I don't recall the original drummer's name, as he quit the group shortly after they located in Hollywood on El Centro Avenue."

"The real musical genius of our group was Steve Weed. He played several instruments and I remember many hours at his or my house as we were growing up watching him write one song after another. He truly was (and is) a great undiscovered talent! We played at some pretty great gigs, had press conferences with people like LA Mayor Sam Yority, Carol Burnett, Two-ton Tessie O'Shea :-) and several other entertainers. Our producer was George Oliphant. Although Acid Head and Velvet Illusions (We Are The...) were the most played, my favorite was Town Of Fools, written by Jerry."

Compilation appearances have included: Velvet Illusions on Pebbles Vol. 9 (CD); Acid Trip From The Psychedelic Sixties (LP), Garagelands Vol. 2 (CD) and Sixties Archive Vol. 8 (CD); Acid Head and Velvet Illusions on Psychedelic Unknowns, Vol. 5 (LP & CD), 60's Punk E.P., Vol. 2 (7" EP), Acid Dreams - The Complete 3 LP Set (3-LP), Acid Dreams Testament (CD) and Acid Dreams, Vol. 1 (LP).

The liner-notes for Pebbles Vol. 9, state incorrectly that Steve Weed would gain greater (and probably unwelcome) fame as the boyfriend of world-famous abductee Patty Hearst. This was a different Steve Weed.

(Vernon Joynson / Max Waller / Jon Juette)

old dead link

old dead link

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Edited by Learyfan (02/28/08 07:41 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

Re: The Velvet Illusions - "Acid Head" (mp3) [Re: Learyfan]
    #4339994 - 06/26/05 06:24 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

hahha..we can always count on you to have some sort of long lost psychedelic song.  Ill check these out in a few minuets. 

Thanks for posting! :sun:

--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: The Velvet Illusions - "Acid Head" (mp3) [Re: Toddo]
    #4340037 - 06/26/05 06:38 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

No problem.  Just let me know what you think about it, whether or not you like it. 

:scrambled:

--------------------

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

#4340050 - 06/26/05 06:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

*downloading

sure thing

--------------------

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

#4340069 - 06/26/05 06:49 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I like the first one better then the 2nd.

The first one is really tight. I love the lyrics and beat to it.

I didnt like the 2nd that much...just not to catchy. But maybe it one of those songs that needs to be given a few chances to soak in. Anyways...i started a new folder "learyfans Music" I got a little collection going.
hehe

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#4340098 - 06/26/05 07:00 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

:grin: Nice.  As far as songs go, I like the second better.  However, the first one wins for me also since I love psychedelia so much.  I dig pro or anti LSD songs.  Acid Head is obviously a anti-LSD song.  It's hilarious because these guys don't seem to understand the nature of the drug.  People don't wake up in the morning and take a pill to make themselves "well" again.  You gotta love it.

Thanks for your opinion.  When I post these, I'm looking for people's opinion on them regardless of whether they like the song or not.  As much as I love psych, I can totally understand why someone wouldn't like it.  I like the title of your folder, BTW.  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

#4340113 - 06/26/05 07:07 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

The 2nd one is kind of old school "batmany" but I enjoyed both of them.

I didnt even realize the first one was antidrug. hmmmm...let me turn it on again. when I said i liked the lyrics I meant that they go with the beat really well.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#4340152 - 06/26/05 07:21 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

"batmany" :lol:

Yeah, the second track is anti-drugs in general I guess.  Read the blurb I pasted about the group.  Borderline Books describes the song as being in the same vein as "Mother's Little Helper" by the Stones.

--------------------

OfflineGeorge501949
Stranger
    #9056659 - 10/09/08 11:11 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

This post is a little old, but i just found it. I am George, the sax player from the Velvet Illusions.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: The Velvet Illusions - "Acid Head" (mp3) [Re: George501949]
    #9057052 - 10/10/08 01:17 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

George501949 said:
This post is a little old, but i just found it. I am George, the sax player from the Velvet Illusions.

Wow, really?  I love you guys!  At least the two songs that I've heard.  I'll post "Acid Head" in your honor and because it's in the subject title of this thread.  However, I like the song "Velvet Illusions" even more.  That song kicks some serious psychedelic ASS.

Welcome to The Shroomery!

:mushroom2:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder