Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemikonn
me

Possible Active Hybrid between Copelandia Cyanescens and Conocybe Lactea? Please Help.
    #4307485 - 06/17/05 12:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

OK. So If any of you have been following my posts over the last few days, you'll now that I've been having trouble identifing a few blueing mushrooms i've been finding. One of which I'm fairly confident is some varient of a Copelandia Cyanescens (which has never been shown to grow here in the state of Maryland (usa)) and the other is a mysterious ballon shaped seemingly sporeless one, that a number of people said reminded them of a Conocyble. Now, I have only found three kind of mushrooms at this field, the two aforementioned ones and what I believe are Conocybe Lactea. It occured to me today, while I was there again gathering new specimens, that the mystery one look rather like the two combined. Then I did a little research and read that hybrids of two species can often be sporeless, not producing a valid new species. Now I'm pretty new to all this, and I may be way off, but it would be great if some of you could take a look and offer you opinion and expertise. Please refer to the previous posts for more info...
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4290387#Post4290387
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4299541#Post4299541

This is pretty large but it lays it all out as I see it.

A shot of the gills of this "hybrid"

another

and finally a decent shot of the gills of the "Copelandia Cyanescens"ish ones I've been finding.

Thanks so much for your help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: Possible Active Hybrid between Copelandia Cyanescens and Conocybe Lactea? Please Help. [Re: mikonn]
    #4307580 - 06/17/05 01:14 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

This is my opinion, but i don't really believe two totally different species of mushrooms can result in a new specie.
There can be other obvious explanations. One i can think of can relate to genetic degeneration in certain parts of the field, probably thanks to the use of chemical products. That would make all those mushrooms belong to the same specie but with some deformed exceptions.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Possible Active Hybrid between Copelandia Cyanescens and Conocybe Lactea? Please Help. [Re: MAIA]
    #4309591 - 06/17/05 11:05 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Due to the reproductive methods in fungi, hybridization is not really possible by any reasonable means.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Possible Active Hybrid between Copelandia Cyanescens and Conocybe Lactea? Please Help. [Re: mikonn]
    #4310693 - 06/18/05 11:41 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i dont see any bluing on any of your mushrooms..

Invisiblemikonn
me

Re: Possible Active Hybrid between Copelandia Cyanescens and Conocybe Lactea? Please Help. [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #4311020 - 06/18/05 02:13 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

GGreatOne234,

If you refer to the previous posts that I reference in this one you should find pics that detail the blueing in both types.
but here are a few pics.

Edited by mikonn (06/18/05 02:25 PM)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #4311098 - 06/18/05 02:52 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

ok i read through all your posts.
it's interesting, yet baffleing.

you're finding active "shrooms",
im just not sure which species..

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Possible Active Hybrid between Copelandia Cyanescens and Conocybe Lactea? Please Help. [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #4311147 - 06/18/05 03:10 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, I'm stumped even to genus, let alone species. I'd need one in my hand to figure it out with any certainty.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlinewildbill
billbo
 User Gallery

Loc: shroomy central FL
    #4311197 - 06/18/05 03:30 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

in my field where i pick the Copelandia Cyanescens i know it is the only active shroom on the field but i have found the ones that looked like they never had spores but they were a good trip so i just said w/e they are active and thats was enough for me.

--------------------
"ow-now-brown-cow" ~ _Ron Burgundy_

Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
    #4311968 - 06/18/05 08:16 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

those are some great finds. A new species of panaeolus in maryland?

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Possible Active Hybrid between Copelandia Cyanescens and Conocybe Lactea? Please Help. [Re: nycomyco]
    #4312019 - 06/18/05 08:42 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

I still think your Pans are pan subbs.

After a closer look at the balloon shrooms I think they are also Pan subbs, mutant sterile pan subbs with deformed caps.  The light gills would be consistent with a sterile black-spored mushroom. Of course they could also be Pan foens, mutant sterile active Pan foens :eek:

The resemblance to Conocybe is merely a result of the mutation.

That's my best guess at the simplest rational explanation.

I still advise against eating the unknown species.

Try tearing a few of them apart from each species, do they feel the same?

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #4312093 - 06/18/05 09:22 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Your posts are quite interesting.. When I zoom in on some of your pics, I see a definate blue color. It's very hard to see it without zooming in - on my monitor at least.
I've been hunting in maryland for like 10 years. I live about 5 mins from the maryland state border.. I've never found any of those that I know of. Very interesting finds... keep us posted on what you find out.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Invisiblemikonn
me

Re: Possible Active Hybrid between Copelandia Cyanescens and Conocybe Lactea? Please Help. [Re: eris]
    #4313342 - 06/19/05 09:09 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

yes, it's very strange.

I went out to the field again this morning.
I found a few specimens that showed more extensive blueing ( note: the this blueing is seen as soon as the mushroom is pulled.)
Here are a few.

Here are some details.

Now the second close-up picture in both of the above sets has been run through a process in photoshop called the "equalize adjustment". Here is what it does.

"The Equalize command redistributes the brightness values of the pixels in an image so that they more evenly represent the entire range of brightness levels. When you apply this command, Photoshop finds the brightest and darkest values in the composite image and remaps them so that the brightest value represents white and the darkest value represents black. Photoshop then attempts to equalize the brightness?that is, to distribute the intermediate pixel values evenly throughout the grayscale."

Just an experiment to highlight the blueing.

Here are a few others found today at the same spot.

Still looking...

Invisiblemikonn
me

Re: Possible Active Hybrid between Copelandia Cyanescens and Conocybe Lactea? Please Help. [Re: eris]
    #4313360 - 06/19/05 09:23 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

eris,

Which border? northern (penn), southern(dc/va)northeastern (de) or northwestern (wva)?

Edited by mikonn (06/19/05 09:51 AM)

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: Possible Active Hybrid between Copelandia Cyanescens and Conocybe Lactea? Please Help. [Re: shroomydan]
    #4313505 - 06/19/05 10:42 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shroomydan said:
I still think your Pans are pan subbs.

After a closer look at the balloon shrooms I think they are also Pan subbs, mutant sterile pan subbs with deformed caps.  The light gills would be consistent with a sterile black-spored mushroom. Of course they could also be Pan foens, mutant sterile active Pan foens :eek:

Sterile Mutant Ninja Foens :laugh:

The wrinkled, crackled to form of scales caps in some shade of brown (like in this photo), often occur in several species of Panaeoli.

But Panaeolus subbalteatus usually have the dark brown encircling zone around the margin of the cap even when they are dry. In fact they are named after it.

Also, as far as I know bruising reaction so extensive is uncharacteristic to these species, but, however, not impossible.

So all these mysterious light gilled mushrooms do not drop any spores at all and the rest (except Conocybe lactea) drop black, is that correct, mikonn?

A sterile dark-spored mushroom could indeed have gills like that easily.

Here's a photo of sporeless Psilocybe cubensis that came up after a quick Google search:

I'd also love to see a photo of your mushrooms in their natural habitat.

After looking through all your threads about these mushrooms, like shroomydan I'd rather go with "strained to the extreme" Panaeolus subbalteatus rather than Panaeolus-Conocybe hybrids or not yet described Panaeolus species (which, of course, is also possible).

Do you have access to the microscope by any chance? I wouldn't eat those mushrooms unless I could at least identify them down to genus Panaeolus which is not known to contain any poisonous species.

--------------------

Edited by ivi (06/19/05 10:55 AM)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Possible Active Hybrid between Copelandia Cyanescens and Conocybe Lactea? Please Help. [Re: ivi]
    #4317049 - 06/20/05 12:51 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

i still think they are active because they clearly bruise blue at the base of the stems.

do they taste/smell spermatic, like Copelandia's do?
or do they taste/smell like Panaeolus subbalteatus?

Invisiblemikonn
me

Re: Possible Active Hybrid between Copelandia Cyanescens and Conocybe Lactea? Please Help. [Re: ivi]
    #4319840 - 06/21/05 07:24 AM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Hi there. Thanks for all of your thoughtful consideration.  I'm sorry I haven't been able to devote the time I would like to this, however life has interceded (as it always seems to do) and I have a few things more pressing to attend to. 
As for your questions:  all of the ones that I had identified as being Copes dropped black prints and bruised blue; and I have not been able get any prints from the "ballon" ones (having tried on both white and black paper just in case). 
I do have access to a microscope(sort of... its my wife's 20 year old childs microscope she got in elementary school) and needless to say, it is wanting in many aspects.  I've made slides of the spores from the ones that are dropping spores, and I can see them, sorta, but not in great enough detail to be of use.  Like I said things are prohibitively busy right now, so I'm having to put this to the side for a week or so, however I have been in contact with someone who may be able to help in identification, and if I can I will persue that in the coming week.

As for GGreatOne234's questions concerning the smell and taste, and also the overall contention that these may be Pan Subbs, I can only offer that I don't believe that I have ever successfully found Pan Subbs (and if I have, I haven't known it) and that I'm not sure if I can say that these "spermatic" in taste or smell (this is not meant as a sorta homophobic type thing where I'm saying that I don't know what sperm smells like ( though I will admit that in terms of taste I would have to extrapolate from my knowledge of its smell :smile:)

As for the Black Spored ones, I would be very suprised if they turn out to be Pan Subbs, since they seem not to resemble any photograph or description of a Pan Subb that I have seen so far, like I've said, macroscopically the closest match I can draw is Copelandia Cyanescen, though I am rather new to this game so it's anyones quess.

One last tidbit: I will try to take a photograph of both types "in situ" as soon as I am able, but I can say that I have found both types  fruiting either singularly or in small groups or clusters of say 3 to 7, both presentations seem equally as frequent and true across the limited geographical dispersment where they have been found.  Hope that makes sense.

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #4321271 - 06/21/05 03:27 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

do the caps stain blue at all?

Invisiblemikonn
me

#4322185 - 06/21/05 07:17 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

ok here are some photos of the ballon-y ones in ground. The pickins are gettin slim. some rain is due in a couple of days...

Invisiblemikonn
me

#4322214 - 06/21/05 07:23 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

Not on the ballon-y ones. the ones that I said might be cope cyans, did seem to blue moderately

deep blue on a few caps and around a few margins.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #4322575 - 06/21/05 09:43 PM (18 years, 8 months ago)

First off, there are four bluing species of Concocybe. Lacteria is not one. Also the bluing in the genera Concoybe is only restricted to the bulbous base at the va ery bottom of the stem and does not blue up the stem. The stems are also watery clear whitish color, and never more than 3 inches in height. The caps are always conical and the c gills are completely cinnamon colored. mj, a slightly blurred iamge should be at mushroomjohn.com site bt lately the operators of the site have dozens of links which are not working.
I have no time currently to go through the site here in Thailand to see what is or is not opening up. But I too have found several pages which are there adn missing images.

mj

have a shroomy day. The other blue-stemd staining shrooms appear to be a species of copelandia.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate