Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDongTrungHaThao
Stranger
How to Disinfect a HEPA filter
    #4293463 - 06/13/05 10:09 PM (18 years, 10 months ago)

Dear All,

This happened to me once: I put a HEPA filter in storage. While I was away the rood leaked and the box it was in sat in water for months! Needless to say the HEPA itself became a huge source of contamination - primarily molds, but also bacteria. I couldn't afford to replace it so I disinfected it:
here's how - with formaldehyde.

I put several small dishes of formaldehyde in the blower, in the stuffing box ( the airtight zone after the blower and before the filter) and in front of the filter face. I sealed the whole thing in a tight fitting tent of clear plastic. I carefully sealed it with packing tape. I let it sit for 24 hours in the shade, and then the next morning I set the whole thing in direct sunshine to break down the formaldehyde.

After this treatment it was disinfected and I got three more years of use out of it.

A faster technique might be to set a dish of potassium pergamnate inside the filter assembly, and pour a little formaldehyde on it; toxic fumes will smoke out. Be prepared to seal those fumes inside the unit immediately - and hold your breath! Wait twenty four hours, and open in a very well ventilated area.

Vietnamese mushroom farmers using glove boxes often disinfect their glove boxes this way.

Sincerely,
Dong Trung Ha Thao

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshobimono
Why?
Re: How to Disinfect a HEPA filter [Re: DongTrungHaThao]
    #4313108 - 06/19/05 03:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Where does one get formaldehyde? I mean is this something we can pop down to the local wally world and pick up?

Offlinedrugsaregood
PhD B+
 User Gallery

Re: How to Disinfect a HEPA filter [Re: shobimono]
    #4313376 - 06/19/05 09:32 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

one won't find formaldehyde anywhere, unless they have access to chemistry supplies.

--------------------
For "incoherent dribble" (drivel) try www.dictionary.com

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy
I don't mind, I think they're crazy
Running everywhere at such a speed
Till they find there's no need

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies