Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Oregon Flag
narcissism
    #4282490 - 06/11/05 02:59 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i'm convinced that i have this condition.

somewhere along the line i became horribly self-absorbed. every thought i have and everything i percieve has to relate to me. i'm constantly aware of the way my eyes look at the moment, my voice, what people think of me, etc. it's really hard to describe.

now i can't be too sure, since i've been known to diagnos myself with every mental disorder that i read about (and i'm fairly sure a handful of these are accurate diagnoses). is there any way to get over this disorder? i've tried meditation.. perhaps i wasn't doing it right but i still do breathing exercises all the time. it's hard to breathe deeply all the time, because breathing has become such a conscious exercise.

i can barely sit and type this and breathe at the same time because if i concentrate on breathing i can't concentrate on what i'm saying. i can't even breathe well when i'm playing guitar.. my breaths are always shallow and weak.

anyways. yeah i'm fucked up. questions? comments?

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSociety
Mmmm... pizza
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: narcissism [Re: fung_us_among_us]
    #4282647 - 06/11/05 06:45 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I don't know if I could even being to help you but...
-Why are you convinced you have this condiction. Personally, I'm extremely self-absorbed and I don't think I have narcissism personality disorder... then again I haven't read about it.
-Do you like Against Me!?

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #4282673 - 06/11/05 07:20 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Being self-absorbed is the human condition. Everyone is their own object of fixation.

The fact that you're aware of it is a good sign, and a step on the way to getting past it.

OfflineNosferatuMan
Stranger
Re: narcissism [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #4282766 - 06/11/05 08:35 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

JC is right. I'd say, there's more to having NPD than just being "Self-absorbed" - they're pathological liars, often retreating from the disillusionments of reality to gandiose fantasies usually involving a position of power. This is how they stop themselves from owning up to their very real, finite capabilities. Instead of realistic goals, the narsissist sets very unrealstic goals for himself, ones maybe not even he or anyone could possibly attain, probably so he never will go through with it and instead retreat to the more ideal fantasy world. Past accomplishments are labeled "Unremarkable" or "easy" - they can never admit they had to work hard at anything, that would be a nightmare for his grossly out of proportion ego...and there's a reason for that malformation: low self-esteem.

Are you sure that sounds like you fung_us_among_us?

Edited by NosferatuMan (06/11/05 08:37 AM)

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Re: narcissism [Re: Society]
    #4283332 - 06/11/05 12:10 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i love against me. been listening to their acoustic ep a lot recently.

so maybe i'm not narcissistic.. i don't know. it just seems like i'm always so self-absorbed with my own problems and quirks that i can't think about other things, and really enjoy the world for what it is.

i see it in the things i write too. when i sit and write, all i can write about is my frustration and how much i dislike myself. i can't break out of this mental barrier to write about other things that might actually be worth reading to other people. and this bothers me, because writing used to be something i was actually good at and really enjoyed doing.

--------------------
:feelsgoodman::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::ahahaha::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::dancingshroom::feelsgoodman:

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #4283434 - 06/11/05 12:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

We're all a little self-absorbed, to some extant, but to become so totally involved with yourself that you can't enjoy life or people isn't good at all. You should seek counseling if this is the case.....

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #4283963 - 06/11/05 04:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Take 5+ grams dried mushrooms by yourself. That should take care of it. :grin: :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

Re: narcissism [Re: Icelander]
    #4284011 - 06/11/05 04:28 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

you think so? i've done mushrooms probably 10 times but never alone. it seems like i might enjoy them more alone, though.. because they tend to make me kind of antisocial and paranoid.

--------------------

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#4284143 - 06/11/05 05:36 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

sorry, but since when is narcissism a mental disorder? i thought humans were narcissistic by definition.

OfflineNosferatuMan
Stranger
Re: narcissism [Re: moog]
    #4284404 - 06/11/05 06:43 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

moog said:
sorry, but since when is narcissism a mental disorder? i thought humans were narcissistic by definition.

It's a personality disorder.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4284674 - 06/11/05 08:47 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Take 5+ grams dried mushrooms by yourself. That should take care of it. :grin: :heart:

Not generally good advice to give someone who is going through rough times.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: narcissism [Re: Grav]
    #4285909 - 06/12/05 07:22 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

It's just advice. No one is compelling anyone to take it. This does not seems like a serious emotional disorder. I think shrooms are very helpful in putting a wayward ego back on course. :mushroom2:

He says he takes them. He seems like a strong personality. Now he can decide. I wouldn't give this advice to everyone. :wink:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Loc: UK
    #4286383 - 06/12/05 10:59 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I hear you with the breathing thing, I get that, especially when I'm around people I'm uncomfortable with (everyone) it's terrible.

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Good luck and blessings of happiness and fortune." ~ RandalFlagg RIP

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

Re: narcissism [Re: rogue_pixie]
    #4286399 - 06/12/05 11:05 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

and swallowing often becomes somewhat of a chore too.

I'm just a nervous paranoid wreck though.

--------------------
"Whatever you do, you need to keep moving.  Because when you stop moving you die (physically and emotionally).

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

#4287226 - 06/12/05 02:54 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, that's me pretty much.

ever since a couple years ago it's very hard for me to swallow. it's more of a conscious action than it ever was before. and loud. it makes me very uncomfortable.

whether i'm swallowing food, drink, or nothing at all.

--------------------

Invisiblerogue_pixie
faerydae
Female User Gallery

#4288072 - 06/12/05 05:43 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

totally .......I've got exactly the same problem :frown:

sucks. glad I know I'm not the only one with it.

imagine us two in a room together :lol:

--------------------

Edited by rogue_pixie (06/12/05 05:44 PM)

Offlinefung_us_among_us
Male User Gallery

#4290174 - 06/13/05 03:53 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i think we would get along just fine.

people that have struggled with things of this sort are much easier for me to be around. they make me less uncomfortable than people who appear to be perfectly sane, happy, and normal.

--------------------

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
    #4293309 - 06/13/05 09:29 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i have felt the same way before, you sound self-conscious

everyone feels self-conscious sometime

everyone has their own unique ways of breathing and swallowing.  i wasn't really aware of that until i read this thread :thumbup: cool

you know no one is perfect.  your hair may not always be right for example, but everyone has imperfections like that.  if you look around you'll see!  :smile:  you don't have to be perfect.  that's impossible for anyone.

also many of the things you talk about don't sound like imperfections.  like shallow breathing.  you know most people have shallow breathing most of the time (except maybe zen masters?).  shallow breathing is normal.

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

Edited by crunchytoast (06/13/05 09:59 PM)

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Re: narcissism [Re: crunchytoast]
    #4293965 - 06/14/05 12:54 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, shallow breathing is normal. Don't worry about it. I have to focus on my breathing and make an effort to constantly take deep + slow breaths. That's just your body's way of chilling out.

Try drinking more water to help with swallowing. You're supposed to drink about a gallon of water a day to stay hydrated. It will also keep you salivating and swallowing normally. Try not to think about it. Swallowing happens naturally for me most of the time.

Btw, I think you're more self-concious than narcissistic. Try not to think about yourself so much. Just be.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order