Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleadoseofparn0z
Eye Opener
 User Gallery

Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold?
    #4247045 - 06/02/05 05:23 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I've got a cake that's finally starting to fruit. Unfortunately though, right as it started to develop pins it also started developing a patch of green mold. Does anyone genuinely know about the health risks of eating mushrooms off of this cake? How about if the mycelium kills off the green mold, is it still risky or should I not even worry?

Could I do an extraction with grain alcohol on the dried out mushrooms, would it effectively kill off anything that would normally be dangerous and still leave me with the goodies I desire? Thanks for your help.

--------------------
For a reliable vendor with high quality merchandise at a great price, try BBB

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejohnhenry
Minderbinder
Loc: capital-evil empire
Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: adoseofparn0z]
    #4247156 - 06/02/05 06:54 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

No, do not eat, the potential of getting really sick is not worth it, research this on the site and you will realize you could be endangering your health

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: johnhenry] * 2
    #4247313 - 06/02/05 08:45 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

This has been posted and answered dozens of times. There is absolutely NOTHING toxic to humans in green molds. Don't sniff the spores as if they were a line of coke, but eating mushrooms from a cake or casing with green mold is totally harmless. Enjoy your harvest.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineeazygrowin
Stranger
Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4247488 - 06/02/05 10:13 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I honestly do not know the right answer here. But as a rule of thumb better safe than sorry .

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: eazygrowin]
    #4247887 - 06/02/05 12:16 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

better safe than sorry is a good way to go about it. but honestly i have eaten cubes from casings with green on them. didnt hurt me a bit. stay away from any mushrooms that have the mold actually growing on them

--------------------

Edited by waixingren (06/02/05 12:18 PM)

InvisibleShroomOmatic
Ethno Apprentice
Male User Gallery
Loc: Sailing the Seas of Chees...
Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: johnhenry]
    #4252557 - 06/03/05 02:39 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Dont eat them if there is any mold on the cake. It's an risk thats not worth taking, you could get sick.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: ShroomOmatic] * 3
    #4271914 - 06/08/05 01:16 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

quote:
"well, once your cake or casing has mold in it, so do the mushies, so yes, you are eating mold. The mushies are made up of and grow on the mycelium network. That network carries nutes to the mushies, it also carries the contam to the mushies. So if there is mold on your casing, it is also in the mushi."

My friend, that is totally false and goes against everything we've learned about how mycelium works. Mushrooms are not like plants where the mycelium is the root. It simply doesn't work that way. The mycelium metabolizes the food it 'eats'. When you go to paul stamets seminars he covers this myth in depth. He has used mycelium to clean up diesel oil spills and other toxic waste dumps and the mushrooms are completely edible and free of all toxins from the soil as established by rigorous testing with gas chromatography.

For those of you who are afraid of moldy cakes, be sure to never eat cheese, because cheese can not be made without mold. Very thick layers of mold are cut off the blocks of cheese to give them eye-appeal for the market. The cheese is safe, believe me. You've all eaten cheese all your lives.

Now, that being said, I immediately throw away any contaminated substrate as soon as I see it. The danger is in polluting my growing environment with the released spores that will contaminate future projects. However, any mushrooms on the substrate are 100% safe to eat. That is a fact. We seriously need less disinformation and fear mongering. If anyone can produce evidence from one of the established university mycological programs such as Penn State, or anything Stamets has written on the subject I will gladly eat my words. I have done serious research into this. Green molds are common in commercial mushroom operations, so if you eat store bought edible mushrooms, you are very often eating mushrooms from substrates with molds. There is not mold in the fruitbody. They are 100% safe.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleArp
roving mycophagist
 User Gallery

Loc: in a van by the river
    #4272130 - 06/08/05 02:03 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Does this apply to all molds? I like what im hearing!  :thumbup:

But I recall reading a thread about someone getting sick and losing hair or something from contaminated substrate :confused:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: Arp]
    #4272539 - 06/08/05 04:01 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Many, if not most molds are dangerous to breathe the spores. All molds are dangerous to your crop, so not to be messed with. I recommend tossing out any cake or casing as soon as molds are discovered. Brown molds are especially toxic.

The question was concerning green molds however, and the safety of eating a mushroom from a substrate or casing that has a green mold on it. There are no known green molds that are toxic to humans. That is a fact. Toxic or not however, I wouldn't eat the green mold itself, and certainly wouldn't eat the cake or other substrate. The mushroom itself however will be perfectly safe.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #4274929 - 06/09/05 05:10 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Although i agree with you in almost everything, there are some things i would like to comment.
Aflatoxins are the most generalized mycotoxins, they are not deadly per se, but they are known to increase chances of cancer in the long run. In the short run, there's the possibility to get aflatoxicosis, but i believe it would be needed great amounts of aflatoxins. Mycelium does metabolize this aflatoxins, but depending on the type of mold, extension of the contamination, strength of mycelium and other factors, some aflatoxins might be carried to the fruitbodies. That's why you have to ponder all the variables and decide to consume or not.
Regarding the cheese, those are beneficial molds, nothing like Aspergillus, Cladosporium or Fusarium.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Molds_On_Food/index.asp

In this particular case, i would break the mycelium and inspect the inside. If this is a recent and small infection settled after full mycelar colonization, and there is no evidence of inner infection, then i would keep the mushrooms. Otherwise, play it safe.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: MAIA]
    #4277577 - 06/09/05 07:58 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Aflatoxins are not a byproduct of mushroom cultivation. If the question were phrased, "is it ok to eat raw animal feed with mold, or is it ok to eat unprocessed peanut butter with molds" the answer would be different. Eating a mushroom from a cake or casing with penicillium, aspergillis, or trichoderma is however, safe. Green molds are very common in the commercial mushroom industry, and I can assure you from first hand knowledge, they do not toss out mushrooms that are harvested from a cased substrate when green molds are present, nor does the FDA even suggest they do so in federally inspected mushroom farms. I'm just trying to end a very long held bit of disinformation that circulates around the OMC. Green molds are toxic to your mushroom mycelium, but not to people unless they chop up a line and snort the spores directly, in which case they may have a histamine type reaction if they're allergic. Toss out cakes or casings as soon as you discover green. You will be far ahead by doing so. Just feel free to eat any mushrooms you harvest. Toxins (other than heavy metals) are not passed from the myclium to the fruitbody. That is a well established fact.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4277639 - 06/09/05 08:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Also, I might add to be cautious of thinking green molds and bacteria are the same thing. Never eat a mushroom that is contaminated with bacterial blotch or other bacterial diseases. You'll get food poisoning.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
    #4279792 - 06/10/05 11:49 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

i had a cake w/ green mold. i cut off the infected area and from that crater grew the best shroom out of the batch. i had another cake with the same mold and cutting it off only made it worse. just be careful.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

OfflineKalix
'Head

Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: iateshaggy]
    #4282186 - 06/11/05 12:13 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Diver told me it was safe. Just don't eat contamed shrooms.

--------------------

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Shotgun of Sweet Reason

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: Kalix]
    #4282454 - 06/11/05 02:40 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kalix said:
Diver told me it was safe. Just don't eat contamed shrooms.

Offlineteamjinx
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: So Cal
    #20570253 - 09/15/14 10:39 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
quote:
"well, once your cake or casing has mold in it, so do the mushies, so yes, you are eating mold. The mushies are made up of and grow on the mycelium network. That network carries nutes to the mushies, it also carries the contam to the mushies. So if there is mold on your casing, it is also in the mushi."

My friend, that is totally false and goes against everything we've learned about how mycelium works. Mushrooms are not like plants where the mycelium is the root.  It simply doesn't work that way. The mycelium metabolizes the food it 'eats'. When you go to paul stamets seminars he covers this myth in depth.  He has used mycelium to clean up diesel oil spills and other toxic waste dumps and the mushrooms are completely edible and free of all toxins from the soil as established by rigorous testing with gas chromatography.

For those of you who are afraid of moldy cakes, be sure to never eat cheese, because cheese can not be made without mold.  Very thick layers of mold are cut off the blocks of cheese to give them eye-appeal for the market.  The cheese is safe, believe me. You've all eaten cheese all your lives.

Now, that being said, I immediately throw away any contaminated substrate as soon as I see it.  The danger is in polluting my growing environment with the released spores that will contaminate future projects.  However, any mushrooms on the substrate are 100% safe to eat.  That is a fact.  We seriously need less disinformation and fear mongering.  If anyone can produce evidence from one of the established university mycological programs such as Penn State, or anything Stamets has written on the subject I will gladly eat my words.  I have done serious research into this.  Green molds are common in commercial mushroom operations, so if you eat store bought edible mushrooms, you are very often eating mushrooms from substrates with molds. There is not mold in the fruitbody.  They are 100% safe.

RR

ive been looking for an answer like this, TY RR! had a tiny bit of mold on my cake before i put it into my choir verm mix and got a little nervous. but now i have hopes itll be all good

--------------------
(9 - 1) + (4 - 2)

OfflineTakeSomeTime
Stranger

Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: teamjinx] * 1
    #21637066 - 05/04/15 09:28 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

teamjinx said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
quote:

My friend, that is totally false and goes against everything we've learned about how mycelium works. Mushrooms are not like plants where the mycelium is the root.  It simply doesn't work that way. The mycelium metabolizes the food it 'eats'. When you go to paul stamets seminars he covers this myth in depth.  He has used mycelium to clean up diesel oil spills and other toxic waste dumps and the mushrooms are completely edible and free of all toxins from the soil as established by rigorous testing with gas chromatography.

For those of you who are afraid of moldy cakes, be sure to never eat cheese, because cheese can not be made without mold.  Very thick layers of mold are cut off the blocks of cheese to give them eye-appeal for the market.  The cheese is safe, believe me. You've all eaten cheese all your lives.

Now, that being said, I immediately throw away any contaminated substrate as soon as I see it.  The danger is in polluting my growing environment with the released spores that will contaminate future projects.  However, any mushrooms on the substrate are 100% safe to eat.  That is a fact.  We seriously need less disinformation and fear mongering.  If anyone can produce evidence from one of the established university mycological programs such as Penn State, or anything Stamets has written on the subject I will gladly eat my words.  I have done serious research into this.  Green molds are common in commercial mushroom operations, so if you eat store bought edible mushrooms, you are very often eating mushrooms from substrates with molds. There is not mold in the fruitbody.  They are 100% safe.

RR

ive been looking for an answer like this, TY RR! had a tiny bit of mold on my cake before i put it into my choir verm mix and got a little nervous. but now i have hopes itll be all good

I second that. Thanks for being rad people.

--------------------

OfflineCurious Monk
Stranger

Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: Arp] * 1
    #25564028 - 10/24/18 04:27 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

What a wonderful educated answer! Thank you, RR!

OfflineCzM8
Kung Foo Grip
Male User Gallery

Loc: MissoruAHHHHHH
Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: Curious Monk]
    #25564570 - 10/24/18 08:00 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Curious Monk said:
What a wonderful educated answer! Thank you, RR!

:hillbilly:

--------------------

OfflineSocietySpy
Stranger
Male

Re: Safe to eat mushrooms off of a cake with green mold? [Re: Arp]
    #27024168 - 11/05/20 10:57 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

"I recall reading a thread about someone getting sick and losing hair or something from contaminated substrate."

LMAO, WTF? lol...:laugh:

--------------------
"The more quiet you become, the more you are able to hear."

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract