Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMedea
Stranger
Shrooms and tricyclics?
    #4226828 - 05/27/05 01:46 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have generalized anxiety disorder and I have done shrooms in the past and have had very good experiences. Recently I've started taking Elavil, a tricyclic, because I've been having trouble sleeping. Usually, if I ever have mild anxiety during a trip I'll take a sedative like klonopin and it works perfectly, although the trip seems to lose its intensity. Do you think there may be some complications now that I'm taking Elavil? I plan on doing shrooms this weekend. Should I limit the amount I take, or not take them at all? I've done a search on the internet and was not able to find any information about this.

--------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMedea
Stranger
Re: Shrooms and tricyclics? [Re: Medea]
    #4228240 - 05/27/05 09:31 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Well, since I haven't had any responses yet, I'll list some stuff I've found out in case anyone else is interested.

First off, I've come across a lot of warnings about combining shrooms with MAO inhibitors because MAOi's can increase the effects of shrooms. I've found this same warning on numerous sites, specifically on erowid.org which I understand to be a fairly reliable source on such matters. I'm not taking an MAO inhibitor so that isn't helpful to me, but it might be helpful to someone else.

SSRI's seem to do the opposite of MAOi's and decrease the effects of shrooms. Since SSRI's are more common these days, I've found more anecdotal evidence from people who have shared their experiences. For the most part, SSRI's don't seem to pose much danger. I have also spoken with a friend of mine who has taken shrooms while on Lexapro and had not experienced any noticeable changes in her experiences on and off the drug. She has done shrooms many times and told me I shouldn't worry about taking them while on Elavil. Even so, Elavil is not an SSRI and so would likely react differently in combination with shrooms than a tricyclic.

The information I've found about tricyclics is limited and quite depressing. Psychiatric sites warn to limit alcohol use, but I have been drinking while on the medication and have not noticed anything too alarming aside from increased inebriation which is to be expected. These sites also warn against taking the medication with "street drugs" which is typical, but not helpful whatsoever. On one message board I was browsing, someone related a bad trip experience while taking a tricyclic (not Elavil), but this person was also seriously depressed at the time. Other information about tricyclics warns about increased blood pressure and possibly seizures... since I have no family history of either of those issues I probably don't have to worry about it, but I suppose the risk is still there since I don't know what the reaction will be with the shrooms.

For all antidepressants I have found there to be a risk of acquiring "serotonin syndrome" which does not sound pleasant, but I have not seen any anecdotal accounts relating to this.

In conclusion: If I do not receive any responses to this thread, I will probably take a small dose of shrooms anyway and see how it goes. After wards, I will probably relate my experience here. Chances are, I'm not going to die, so I might as well go for it.

--------------------

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
    #4228314 - 05/27/05 09:51 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Given the dearth of information, I'd stay around a gram, if not a little less for the first foray or two.

--------------------
delta9

OfflineMedea
Stranger
Re: Shrooms and tricyclics? [Re: delta9]
    #4228386 - 05/27/05 10:15 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. I will be taking it with a close and trusted friend so if anything bad happens she should be able to help. Anyway, I don't think there should be much danger if I take such a small dose.

--------------------

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
    #4228697 - 05/27/05 11:33 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Good luck, and may you find what you are looking for

--------------------
delta9

Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag